Lamy Studio Grips

UsFour

I have seen this subject discussed here and there, but I don't think it has been a designated topic before. If I am wrong in that conclusioin, my apologies in advance. Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from Oscar Braun Pens, as my first choice, the Stainless Steel Lamy Studio is on order for the medium nib I prefer. While I'm waiting, I am thinking once more about the black and blue models with the chrome grip, as well as the Palladium model with its grip. Obviously, the gold nib is also a difference with the Palladium. I like the steel nib regardless, but am open to comments there as well.

I ordered the stainless steel Studio because tight gripping doesn't work for me, and the grip on that model looks easiest to hold without slippage. What are others' experiences with these various grips -- chrome, Palladium, and the black material on the stainless steel? As I can't travel to other cities to find out myself -- not very cost effective with gas over $4.00 -- I am seeking "vicarious experiences." :0)

In a previous thread, one poster suggested I merge two different models, if I'd like, so I could get the aesthetics of the top I prefer and also the grip. I'll keep that in the back of my mind, but for now the budget allows for just one pen -- and live with the results.

Thanks to all in advance for any posts you might make.

Best -- UsFour

Edited by UsFour

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Weaveras

• gregamckinney

• Have Fun

• UsFour

I find the metal section to be too slippery for regular use, but also don't care for the rubberized grip. Someone here on FPN recommended "texturizing" the smooth metal grip with very fine grit sandpaper. I was very pleased with the results I achieved. Makes my white Studio very usable. Here's a quick shot:

http://www.gergyor.com/images/lamy_studio_nib.jpg

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I have seen the Studio as an all black model with the non slip grip .. not sure if this is a special

why not contact Lamy direct ? It would be very easy for them to swap a black cap & barrel onto the Stainless grip

I find the metal section to be too slippery for regular use, but also don't care for the rubberized grip. Someone here on FPN recommended "texturizing" the smooth metal grip with very fine grit sandpaper. I was very pleased with the results I achieved. Makes my white Studio very usable.

I performed the same texturizing on my blue Studio with very good results. A couple twists with 400 grit sandpaper did the trick.

I have a black Studio and I personally have no trouble with maintaining my grip. I tend to write only a page or so at a time with it because it has a broad nib and I do better with Fine nibs. I bought this pen as the lone B to be in my collection and I like it well enough that I'm thinking of buying another with an F nib so that I can use it more! The next one will probably be a Palladium model, though.

I only have experience with the Brushed Steel and the Palladium. I prefer the grip on the Brushed Steel pen, since it feels more grippy. It's has a sort of rubbery feeling. I do have some occasional minor issues with the Palladium after writing for a long time in a warm room, but it has the better tip, so I still use it more. It's definitely not anything breaking, though I might at some point try the sandpaper trick mentioned above.

I have a Stainless steel model, also bought from Oscar Braun, and I find the grip to be easy to hold for long periods of time, and don't find my fingers slipping on it at all over short or long periods of time. I don't have any of the other models, so I cannot compare. Hope this helps, and as a satisfied costumer hope you enjoy the excellent service from Pam!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

• 10 years later...

To resurrect an old thread - the texturizing is brilliant! My Studio has returned to my always inked pens. Thanks for the idea!

I really wanted a British racing green studio (rollerball) but could not get past the metal grip. I finally purchased the brushed steel version so I could have the black rubber type grip and could not be happier.

Hopefully Lamy will come to their senses and put the black rubber grip on all studio models.

I went with the brushed steel version, just in case the chrome grip was slippy. Glad I did as the steel looks very classy.

I wasn't expecting anything other than a "metal Safari", but being a little smaller and tapered at both ends, the Studio posts and balances really well, and provides a more solid writing feel. My Vista now feels too light and posted it is too back heavy, which is why I've preferred smaller pens like the M200.

But the nib on the M200 is just... I don't know, if makes my writing look odd, even though it's a quality pen in other respects. Never got on with it.

Just a follow up - do not use 400 grit sandpaper if you attempt this fix. The grit is a little too coarse. Generally the automotive industry uses scotchbrite to turn chrome into satin. I did that after sanding (and using it for a bit), and found that still a little too coarse, and then I used 1500 grit sanding pad, thus it now looks like the stainless steel. In hindsight, my recommendation is to use 1500 to start and increase in coarseness as needed.

Otherwise, this is one of my all time favourite pens - the weighting, posted or not, the clip and clip on cap, the profile. The more pens I try the more I appreciate just how good this pen is, and being a Lamy, I can change the nib with ease, from width to gold or steel.

In hindsight, my recommendation is to use 1500 to start and increase in coarseness as needed.

+1

I was going to suggest 2000 although I have not felt the need to do so on any of my Lamy pens.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.