2008 Portland Pen Show

Michael McNeil

The Portland Pen Show is quickly approaching! If you are planning on attending and staying at the Embassy Suites hotel, where the show is again being held, I would suggest making your reservations soon, as rooms are quickly disappearing. The cut-off date for the hotel's Pen Show price is JUNE 8th.

The show will be held July 11-13, 2008

Where:

Embassy Suites Downtown Portland

319 SW Pine Street

Portland, OR 97204

(503) 279-9000

More information can be seen at: http://www.portlandpenshow.com/

The show promoter and contact person for show attendance reservations and more info is Carla Mortensen: mortensen.carla@gmail.com

This is show is shaping up very well and appears that it will be our best show yet, and the past shows have all been real winners!

A few of the pen dealers and pen companies we know whom will be attending this year are:

Sam and Frank Fiorella from Pendemonium (and helpers)

Jim and Jane Marshall - Jim is the author of several pen books, including the coauthor, with Laurence Oldfield, of the new pen repair book, simply titled "Pen Repair".

Rick Propas "The Penguin" and current President of the Pen Collectors of America

Saul Kitchener aka "just4halibut"

Joel and Diana Hamilton and Sherrell Tyree of Inkpen

Gary and Myrna Lehrer from Go Pens

Mary Burke from Conway Stewart

Ward Dunham - Atelier Gargoyle

Laban Pens

Taccia Pens

Bruce Hershman - Bruno Corsini Pens

Greg Minuskin

Brian Johnstone - B. J.'s Pens

Maximo Aguirre

Stuart Hawkinson - pen tool maker

Michael McNeil - Northwest Pen Works

Alan Brooking

Bruce "The Great" Grembowski aka Grem

Sam Moore

Paradise Pens

Kim Sosin

Mitch Patton - Pen Maker

And many others, whom I did not list!

Late info: One addition to the schedule that is verified: Janet Takahashi (Greg Minuskin's wife), a professional calligrapher and illustrator, will be signing her new illustrated book "Artful Journals : Making and

Embellishing Memory Books, Garden Diaries, Travel Albums & More" on Sunday from 2-4 pm.

I am not sure who else is attending, in the way of pen sellers, but lots of people always show up and sometimes put some [amazing amounts of] vintage pens on their tables for sale. There are always pen folk from Canada, Seattle, up and down the West Coast states and from all around the county, including some pen book authors, who usually just have only a first name on their name tags.

We always have great seminars and this year is no exception. See list below.

The Portland Pen Show always coincides with the largest antique show in the U.S. The Palmer/Wirf's Antique Show. It is easily accessed by about a 20 minute ride on our modern trolley system, called MAX. The MAX "Yellow Line" is a short walk from the hotel. If you are a book lover, the largest book store West of the Mississippi River, Powell's City of Books, is just a short walk away. It is open 7 days a week, until 11:00 p.m. and they have great coffee and tea. We also have the one of the largest City Parks anywhere, Forest Park and the smallest city park Mill Ends Park. That is if they haven't moved it again. The last time I was down there, they were doing some work on Naito Parkway and had closed the park and moved it temporarily. Yes, it is that small!

There are always receptions and parties at the pen show with wonderful food and drinks. Saturday evening we will have music by "Gypsy Jazz".

You could throw a stick almost anywhere in downtown Portland and it would land in front of a restaurant or brewpub, coffee house (or a jewelry store).

I have included below a list of our pen seminars for this year:

We hope to see you all in Portland in mid-July!

Michael McNeil

Seminars

One of the best parts about attending a pen show in person is the amount of information that is available through many of the collectors in our hobby. Fortunately for us, the following experts and aficionados have agreed to host small gatherings to learn from their experience and expertise.

Pelikans by Rick Propas Saturday, 12:00 PM

Pen Collecting 101 by Saul Kitchener and John Strother, Saturday, 2:00 PM

Tools for Pen Repair by Joel Hamilton and Stuart Hawkinson, Saturday, 4:00 PM

Pen Repair by Michael McNeil and Sherrell Tyree, Sunday, 11:00 AM

Journaling by Susan Thom, Sunday, 1:00 PM

The Art of the Italic by Ward Dunham, Sunday, 3:00 PM

Nibs Revealed by Greg Minuskin

More information on the seminars may be seen here:

http://www.portlandpenshow.com/seminars.html

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• superbleu

• Michael McNeil

• Grem

Correction: Bruce, of Bruno Corsini Pens, last name is spelled Hirschman. Sorry Bruce!

Correction: Bruce, of Bruno Corsini Pens, last name is spelled Hirschman. Sorry Bruce!

Me n' Eranowitz mite go out this year.

d

Thanks for the info Michael!! My wife and i will most certainly be there.

Jim

Thanks for the reminder, Michael ;)

I am happy to say that I will be attending this year's show in Portland :D I wasn't expecting to go as we are saving money for home renovations and a future trip to Hawaii this year...but hubby surprised me by asking if I wanted to go to the pen show in Portland this year!

Every time I've gone to the Portland show, I've had a wonderful time. The show is so well-organized (thanks again to Carla M.) and everyone is so friendly---the dealers, fellow attendees, the hotel staff, etc. The amazing pens there, the informative seminars...oh, and the delicious free food! :drool: I could go on and on!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you there as well as Jim (Handlebar), Bruce (Bruno), hopefully Dr. I. (never had the pleasure of meeting him in person!) and many others.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me an idea of the schedule of the show? I'll be in Portland that weekend, but I'll be busy friday and saturday. Is it worth coming just on sunday? Will all of the sellers still be there?

Michael Moncur

Can anyone give me an idea of the schedule of the show? I'll be in Portland that weekend, but I'll be busy friday and saturday. Is it worth coming just on sunday? Will all of the sellers still be there?

More than an idea... here's the full schedule...

http://www.portlandpenshow.com/schedule.html

Sunday will be a great day to attend the show!

-Bruno

Anyone else from FPN attending the Portland show??? My wife an i will be there drooling over things (bringing our bibs!)

I'm looking forward to seeing Maja again as well as the otehrs we met last year.And this year i actually have some money to spend!!!! Wow. I cannot believe it.

Jim

Edited by handlebar

Wish I could go, but I have back to back business trips to New England the week before and the week following the Portland Show. It would be too hard to fit it in. Maybe next year. Even though Portland is far from DC, I have a sister and a good friend in the area, so it would be a multi-purpose trip.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Wish I could go, but I have back to back business trips to New England the week before and the week following the Portland Show. It would be too hard to fit it in. Maybe next year. Even though Portland is far from DC, I have a sister and a good friend in the area, so it would be a multi-purpose trip.

Well then i look forward to meeting you in person next year!!!

Jim

I'm going to check it out. I'm a relative newbie but enjoying my pens and all the things I've gleaned from this site.

I'm a newbie too, and I hope to be able to make it for at least a couple of hours on Saturday. I'm in town for other business, but figure if I just throw my bags into my hotel and dash across town I should be able to see at least something. I'm very excited, this will be my first pen show!

(I hope that isn't like admiting you've never been to a RHPS screening before! :o )

I like skinny Pens.

no more pens for me (she says she says)

unless of course I see a Silver Stripe Pilot Capless come up for sale.

then all resolutions are out the window!

=

I will be at the show on Saturday. My second pen show. I attended the Raleigh pen show and will be in Portland for a business conference so I have plaanned to go for several months. I got so anxious that I went ahead and went to Raleigh after finding out about that show. I now have about eight fountain pens including a couple of snorkels and an old Parker. See y'all in Portland. :roflmho: :roflmho:

I'm going too! Woohoo!

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

I'm going too! Woohoo!

We will certainly have to meet up!!

Jim

I'm new to fountain pens, and to FPN. My wife and I will be there Saturday (taking the train down from Seattle) and I'm hoping to escape the show with only a few additions to the collection. :D

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read anyway. --Groucho Marx

Only three more days!

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

Tomorrow I leave for my summer vacation! A ten day motorcycle tour along the Oregon coast with a stop in Seattle and of course a stop-over in Portland for the pen show. See you there.

Michael