The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Checkered Flag or Crash! Hero 569

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:41

My Hero 569 has such a pronounced racing-theme look, all silver flash and black and white checkerboard, that I almost expect it to sprout wheels and take off.

Unhappily, it doesn’t fly quite yet.

I had high expectations for the 569, perhaps because of its semi-hooded nib look and heavy feel. Eager to make it to the starting line, I first tested this pen (it’s a converter-fill) with a small amount of J Herbin Diabolo Menthe ink, and found that it was a ‘hard starter.’ I had to really coax the ink to come forth, but when it did I immediately tried it on a page of story notes on a Levenger pad. I was enjoying the color of the ink and the look of the nib, and had written a sentence or two of chapter notes when---BLOB!

What the---? I wiped the pen off and started in again. One word--BLOB. I ended up with three fat inkblots on the page, and decided to write it out on a cheap steno pad. I only got three paragraphs or so out of this quarter-fill before the pen ran dry, which seemed odd to me.

So I ran to the forum for help, and taking the advice I got, tried a different ink, Noodlers Navajo Turquoise---another quarter-tankfull. I started writing on the cheap steno pad, and it started with less difficulty than the previous fill. Using the cheap pad, I wrote a draft of this review with no further problems.

I don’t dislike this pen’s writeability---I simply prefer the hooded Hero 329 ‘Star Trek’ pen (reviewed here earlier). The line isn’t quite as fine as the 329 and the grip doesn’t suit me as well due to the ridges just north of the racy black ‘hood.’ It has a stiffer writing feel as well. With the Hero logo big and bold on the nib end, and a repeat of the logo surrounded by laurel leaves on the snap-off cap, the Hero 569 carries its racing theme all the way up and down the pen.

But I tried one final test on the Levenger pad with the new tank of Noodlers---and instant blobbage! Maybe the pen just hates that paper.

Since I like the Speed-racer look of the pen, it will stay in my collection, as long as I keep it away from Levenger paper.

Sponsored Content

#2 edbollix

edbollix

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 17:58

Don't give up, I have a 569 that writes like a dream. Not as fine as my older 329 but a nice line none the less with no blobs.

#3 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:29

Thanks. With looks like the 569's I have no intention of giving up---just steering well clear of Levenger paper. wink.gif

Here's a belated test:

#4 isellpens

isellpens

isellpens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 17:38

Hi Sailor Kenshin,
If you have any more problems let me know. I like this pen too. I have a few left and was advised Hero discontinued this pen. I will try mine with Noodler's Navajo for some testing.

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 19:40

QUOTE(isellpens @ May 28 2008, 01:38 PM) View Post
Hi Sailor Kenshin,
If you have any more problems let me know. I like this pen too. I have a few left and was advised Hero discontinued this pen. I will try mine with Noodler's Navajo for some testing.

Thanks! Please let me know how your testing goes; so far my 'Speed Racer' pen doesn't blob on any paper other than the Levenger's.

#6 xena

xena

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:02

My waterman nibs are impervious to bad paper....even cheap notebooks never bleed through, or moleskines. The only issue I have had with either has been Roaring Springs composition books.

#7 jleeper

jleeper

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 23:27

Mine started perfectly, immediately after its first filling, and on Staples bagasse paper, it's been a near perfect writer. I'm really in love with this pen.

Edited by jleeper, 31 August 2009 - 23:27.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Justice of U.S. Supreme Court (1902 -1932)

#8 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 00:24

Blobbing? Could this be a problem--either contamination blocking the fins, or something broken--in the ink collector or the feed fins?
Might try flushing the pen repeatedly in a dilute ammonia solution, flushing in thoroughly in clean water, and then checking again. Just a guess.
ron

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 7,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:13

It was just that particular combo of ink and paper. The pen wrote well on other paper and on that paper with other ink.

It still looks pretty cool.

Sponsored Content

|