The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wahl Eversharp Skyline-review

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:11

While going through some pens that were left in drawers I stumbled upon a pen I completely forgot about. A Wahl Eversharp Skyline.
This was one of the first pens I bought and about a year ago I had it fully restored.
I used to use it a lot but since I got my Paragon it has been forgotten.
I thought it would be a good pen to sell as I need money for my next purchase so I decided to check the pen before posting it and the moment I put the pen in my hand and then on paper I knew I will not sell it, I simply can’t.

Ok let’s back up and start from the beginning Eversharp made a lot of money producing this pen and anyone that owns this pen understand why.
The shape of this pen is unique and the nib makes this deal a true wonderful experience.
This is a lever filler pen. The simple, proven and reliable filler is just perfect to this pen. It holds more then enough ink for everyday needs.
The GF cap is fat and looks very different then other pens from that era. I find the design to be unique and beautiful, how sad that Eversharp that once was one of the big pen companies has vanished to the pages of the history, I am sure if they were still around we would get some real good pens from the USA.
The barrel has a little step about 1.5 cm bellow the threads. This makes the grip on the pen excellent. The pen is light weight and well balanced.
The 14K fine nib is a wonderful marvel of engineering. It brings the flex into my world again. Even though this is not a wet noodle this nib is definitely flexible and can produce a different variety of lines very easy with just a nit of pressure.
The nib is very smooth and responsive.
Now I am asking myself why the heck did I through this wonderful pen to a drawer and forgot about it. This pen is a perfect user and I think people should notice it more. You can get this pen for 35$ on eBay and unless a truck drove owner it it shouldn’t be a lot of work replacing the sac in it and you have a true vintage pen that gives you the quality of forgotten days.

Attached Images

• Picture_001.jpg
  • Picture_003.jpg

Respect to all

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:02

hello goodguy,
this is one of my favorite vintage FP and definitely one i use in my rotation. mine is the striped cap.

you know you won't be sorry you kept it!!!

these are (terrible) pics. of mine.

OK, i can't get pics loaded... oh well!!! blush.gif

Edited by lovemy51, 21 May 2008 - 09:11.

#3 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,345 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 14:49

I have been using FP's for 50 years. For some reason the Art Deco appearance of the Skyline never really appealed to me, and I only got my first one earlier this year. Once I inked it and started to write with it, I realized that I had simply cheated myself out of many years of pleasant writing with an excellent pen. I promptly obtained two more, and all three of them write superbly. I have even grown to like the aesthetics of the design. Better late than never, I guess.

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 16:28

I've owned four Skylines at one time or other - gave one demi away as a gift, have one dark blue plastic, a gray with metal cap, and a Frankenpen with beautiful striped cap and a non-original "Warranted" 14k nib.

My blue one works perfectly after receiving a new sac. The gray / metal one has never performed; it's so dry, I can't get it to flow. The Frankenpen is good & wet, but it's not really a Skyline, merely an Eversharp body & cap with unknown innards.
The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

#5 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:20

here are some terrible pictures of my skiline. now i own two eversharp (the other one in the pic is a symphony), and i'm very happy to have them.

#6 framebaer

framebaer

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2008 - 13:32

uh huh, oh yeah.

Got bit by that skyline bug years ago happyberet.gif happyberet.gif

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra. Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

#7 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2008 - 14:04

Great Pictures everyone - thank you for making my early Sunday morning.

Let's not forget the designer - Henry Dreyfuss...

A little background here: http://munsonpens.wo...wahl-eversharp/

You are right Goodguy, these are often overlooked and overshadowed, but need not be.

#8 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:45

QUOTE(framebaer @ May 25 2008, 06:32 AM)  
uh huh, oh yeah.

Got bit by that skyline bug years ago happyberet.gif happyberet.gif

puddle.gif X 30

Edited by lovemy51, 26 May 2008 - 06:45.

#9 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2009 - 23:48

Need to add I like this pen so much I actualy bought another one, an all black model.
Respect to all

#10 Motomo

Motomo

Eclectic Tastes

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2009 - 23:57

I have a burgundy striped cap skyline that I had restored a month or two ago. It is a great writes with good flex. Just got another blue/green striped cap that I have not tried out as of yet.

Fantastic pens

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

#11 Empacherguy

Empacherguy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 17:25

Yep! Hands down just about my favorite pen ever. My particular one is quite pedestrian: simple brown plastic all over (and might even be a demi model, as it's not very big). Yet, the thing is the embodiment of "writing by hand." Those young-uns out there have no idea how moving the tactile experience of writing with one of these is. Mine dates from the mid-40s and with a new sac performs .... well, flawlessly. It cost me all of $20 and will never, ever be sold.

All hail old-fashioned engineering!

Sponsored Content

|