General Penmanship...

mkoenig

Good Afternoon all,

Well, as I was sitting down to write thank you notes to folks for wedding gifts, my wife (boy she's lovely) pointed out that my writing is "awful". You know what, it is. So, as I embark on FP procurement (because they're just so cool), I figured I would make an attempt to improve my penmanship.

I'm a lefty, can't write with my right hand at all...so, no changing that. I currently write with a quazi-hook overline style. I am eventually going to switch to all FP writing, and figured as I do, I would ask for some help. I'm not looking for any Italicized sytle, or rennasaince etc...just a clear and concise product.

Are there any regiments that anybody reccomend? Excercises, etc...

Mind you, I'm 28, not an old dog by any means, but not someone right out of K5 either! I've been writing bad all my life I guess...

Your help, for the sake of my penmanship and tuning out the nagging, is dually appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkoenig

• KCat

• KendallJ

• Elaine

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people reccomend "Write Now" by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay. This book teaches italic and cursive italic. I wanted to improve my script - so I bought one of those books for 3rd graders and worked on it. I also found the following web site very helpful:

http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive.htm

It has letters you can trace and guide sheets for practice.

Have fun!

Elaine

Elaine,

Thanks for the tip, it is a cool site! I was wondering if there were books out there, I presumed that there was.

I'll give it a look see...

Cheers,

Mark

Good luck with your efforts, Mark. I'm sure you'll find you improve steadily. James Pickerings Practically Calligraphy while based on "italic" handwriting can also go a long way toward improving your "regular" handwriting. one needn't employ an edged nib (calligraphy nib) to get the basic forms down. In fact, you'll find that "Write Now" (i have this as well, but have not practiced as I should) is also based on the italic hand. (my apologies to James if I'm not using the precise terminology.)

Like you, I've always had poor handwriting - my second grade teachers lamented such. it has improved significantly since switching to FPs. They are easier on the grip, require minimal pressure, and float across the page. I still have my sloppy times and I *must* have lines on my paper. But in general, it's better than it was. if I actually practiced daily as I should, it might even turn into pretty handwriting. :)

A large part of handwriting deterioration, IMO, is due to the tools we use. Relying too heavily on the PC for communication, and using bps and such that require a death grip and force to put the ink on the page.

besides, FPs are fun and writing a real letter (and receiving one) is always more enjoyable than email. IMO, of course. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Kcat,

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I just need to begin to find reasons to write short memos to colleagues and the like. I am tired of typing...

In reference to your other post to me in days past, I'm going to test drive a Pelikan tonight, next to the Aurora, and a Parker 51 or 100.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers,

Mark

I am a huge fan of Teach Yourself Better handwriting by Sassoon and Briem. Thsi book is not about making your handwriting perfect. It is about making your handwriting functional and personal. Leads you on a journey to analyze the problems in your handwriting, and then how to correct those problems without having to conform to a perfectly drafted letter form.

If you look at some of my handwriting of the ink reviews, thsi is 100 times better than my hand used to be, and very functional.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

KJ,

Thanks for the tip...I'd very much like to see your writing samples, and have been pillaging through the Ink posts, but no luck.

Where did you post those examples exactly?

Thanks,

Mark

If you send me an e-mail asking for the resources I recommend re handwriting instruction/improvement, I'll e-mail back to you a resource-list (about 50 kilobytes).

To ensure that I see your request quickly, use this phrase for the subject-line of your e-mail:

handwriting resource list

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair

kate@global2000.net

http://www.global2000.net/handwritingrepair

325 South Manning Boulevard

Albany, New York 12208-1731 USA

telephone 518/482-6763

AND REMEMBER ...

you can order books through my site!

(Amazon.com link -

I get a 5% - 15% commission on each book sold)