The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Vacumatic Maxima-review

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2008 - 21:51

Iíve been dreaming of a BIG Parker Vacumatic for a long time. I wanted either the Vacumatic O/S or the Maxima and indeed after a long time I found the pen I was looking for-a Maxima.
The pen had few issues when I got it but SMG said he can fix it and indeed he did.

Today at the pen meeting I got the pen and indeed he delivered.
The pen is beautiful all the cosmetic issues were addressed and resolved but how does it write?

Well lets start with the basics, this pen has a brown gold body with a thick band on the cap so that means that this is one of the older versions of this pen.
Itís not much longer then the standard models of the Vacumatic family but it is wider and feels much more natural and comfortable to use and write with.
This pen has the relatively rare broad nib, itís a big two tone nib with Parker arrow etched in the center of it. There is a big W on the feed and I assume it means WIDE.
In any case this pen does write wide and I am glad to say it is very smooth and juicy. I must admit I am not a big fan of B nibs but this one is so juicy and responsive I am sure I will get use to it fast. Everybody that tried the pen today in the meeting fell in love with the pen and loved the nib so I am sure I will learn very fast how to appreciate it.

The pen like most celluloid pens is light and very well balance, as I mentioned I always loved the Vacumatic pens and enjoyed writing with them but somehow if feels too small and narrow so the Maxima takes the wonderful characteristics on the Vacumatic family and put them in a bigger package. I totally understand now why they command such a high price in the market.

The golden/brown body and cap is beautiful, it is shiny and the pictures donít do justice to how nice and sparkly it looks. I also think the big cap ring matches the big thick pen and makes it looks powerful yet nicely esthetic.
Itís got 2 jewels in the top and bottom and the upper one has a jewel matching the body colour.

For those of you that want a BIG vintage pen there are few options like an O/S Balance and few Watermanís but I must tell you this pen has a wonderful charm to it and if you like the Vacumatic body design then there is very little competition to such a classic beauty that is also one of the best writers out there.

Attached Images

• Picture_008.jpg
  • Picture_002.jpg
  • Picture_009.jpg
  • Picture_003.jpg
  • Picture_006.jpg

Respect to all

Sponsored Content

#2 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:55

Very nice. I like that striped jewel!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#3 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:51

Very nice, a Maxima has been on my list for a bit. How does it compare size wise to lets say a MB 149?

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

#4 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 4,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 14:34

The Vacumatic is quite a bit smaller than the 149. I find the 149 to be too large to use for long periods, but the Sr. Max to be just right.

Best regards, greg
Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2008 - 17:13

The vac maxima is one of the pens on my buy list, one in green is on my wish list.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:42

QUOTE(gregamckinney @ Jun 8 2008, 02:34 PM) View Post
The Vacumatic is quite a bit smaller than the 149. I find the 149 to be too large to use for long periods, but the Sr. Max to be just right.

Best regards, greg

Beautiful picture.
Thx
Respect to all

#7 IKWarren

IKWarren

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:12

Beautiful pen. It's pictures like this that is making me want my own.

#8 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 19:21

Nice review! Pics look beautiful. Thanks for the sharing this.
I'm looking forword your new review!!
Keep up great work. : )

From Japan,
Kota Adachi

#9 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 23:51

Nice review! Pics look beautiful. Thanks for the sharing this.
I'm looking forword your new review!!
Keep up great work. : )

From Japan,
Kota Adachi

Will need a new pen to make new review, maybe a new Visconti :puddle:
Respect to all

Sponsored Content

|