Waterman Carene

Calbei

Thanks to everyone who participated in helping to get our pens fixed. You are all a great group of people!

Alan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• cantwell

• Con

• Maine Vintner

It's items like these that demonstrate why this is such a great site and community. Glad to be able to be

of some assistance. I don't know why they make such a great pen with this feature but they do. Really

opens up a world of nib and color combinations once you unlock the code, though.

Enjoy your great Carene's everyone!

Thanks to everyone who participated in helping to get our pens fixed. You are all a great group of people!

Alan

I'm glad I could contribute.

Really glad my pens look all better!

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

My Charcoal Grey Carene is on its way from the US and has crossed the border. I am hoping that the barrel alignment that you guys have talked about won't be an issue, but its great to see the fix for it just incase! I am looking forward to it arriving though it looks like tracking might end once it crosses the border so I will just have to wait for it.

The information on this site helped make my decision on the pen and I am guessing it might be just the first of many! Given the problems a number of people mentioned concerning the Noodlers ink I decided against that, but I did order three other types of inks to give it a try.

Can't wait to read the nirvana post after you actually ink it and use it. :cloud9:

Can't wait to read the nirvana post after you actually ink it and use it. :cloud9:

I now understand some of your enthusiasm for the Carene - I just got a royal blue (from Brauns pens) last Monday and it is quickly becomging my number two favorite (my Pelikan M 805 still holds first place in my heart <smile>). The Carene is an incredibly smooth, precise writer ... not quite as wet as the Pelikan ... so when I'm looking for a little less ink on the page .. the Carene is the one I go to! Love the balance, the feel, and the 'substantial' feel of the pen. All your glowing reports of the Carene helped tip my decision to buy one. I'm very happy I did ... the only problem is that now I already one a red (garnet) one .. a charcoal one ... a black sea one ... a stub nib .... LOL

"Not all who wander are lost."

JRR Tolkien

Congrats, Reid. I only want my fellow pen lovers to be as happy as I am. Be forewarned, the stub makes this B nib lover happy, so if you're looking for a finer nib, skip the stub.

["More for me, more for me," she chortled.]

I now understand some of your enthusiasm for the Carene - I just got a royal blue (from Brauns pens) last Monday and it is quickly becomging my number two favorite (my Pelikan M 805 still holds first place in my heart <smile>). The Carene is an incredibly smooth, precise writer ... not quite as wet as the Pelikan ... so when I'm looking for a little less ink on the page .. the Carene is the one I go to! Love the balance, the feel, and the 'substantial' feel of the pen. All your glowing reports of the Carene helped tip my decision to buy one. I'm very happy I did ... the only problem is that now I already one a red (garnet) one .. a charcoal one ... a black sea one ... a stub nib .... LOL

Congratulation Reid. I am anxiously awaiting mine to show up. I couldn't help but notice you are from Nova Scotia and also ordered from the US. I am in Newfoundland and I didn't have much luck finding a good price on the Carene in Canada. I am curious to see what sort of customs/duties there on when it arrives. I ordered mine from the Fountain Pen Hospital in NY.

That's a good, reliable place to buy. I'm waiting in reverse. Have a Visconti coming in from B.C. :hmm1:

Congratulation Reid. I am anxiously awaiting mine to show up. I couldn't help but notice you are from Nova Scotia and also ordered from the US. I am in Newfoundland and I didn't have much luck finding a good price on the Carene in Canada. I am curious to see what sort of customs/duties there on when it arrives. I ordered mine from the Fountain Pen Hospital in NY.

Hi there in Nfld ....

I hope you are enjoying the same heat wave we are here in NS!

My pen came with no taxes or any other costs added. I have found that when pens come by Express (USPS) they often seem to sail through the customs without GST being charged on them ... even got my M805 (Nearly $300) with no Cdn tax added.

Hope you enjoy your new pen. I couldn't find a deal in Canada anywhere near the one from Oscar Braun Pens ($99).

Edited by Reid

"Not all who wander are lost."

JRR Tolkien

Hi there in Nfld ....

I hope you are enjoying the same heat wave we are here in NS!

My pen came with no taxes or any other costs added. I have found that when pens come by Express (USPS) they often seem to sail through the customs without GST being charged on them ... even got my M805 (Nearly $300) with no Cdn tax added.

Hope you enjoy your new pen. I couldn't find a deal in Canada anywhere near the one from Oscar Braun Pens ($99).

Yeah the weather here has been great over the past week! No complaints.

My pen and inks arrived yesterday though I didn't have a chance to ink it until just now as I had to go baby sit my neices last night. I was itching to get home today to try it out! I inked up first with Aurora Black which is a very nice black ink. The Carene glides over the page quite nicely! The nib is a little thicker than I had anticipated as the line seems about a thick as my M nib Elysee. Fortunately I don't mind that too much and the pen feels very comfortable. The one thing I found with my Elysee is that it is a very thin pen. The Carene is a nice thickness without being too big. I am looking forward to trying out the other inks as well as using the Carene more!

I got the same one as Reid, and I think even on the same day. I love that pen! I have found myself going back to it so often, it may be my actual favorite. I find the M a bit juicy for certain applications too, in fact, I find that all of my Watermans in general are more ink-generous than the others.

I was the victim of peer pressure from Ghost Plane and I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Royal Violet F Carene. She was hard to find brand new, but I hope to see her this coming week. :)

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post and I'm about to place an order for a carene deluxe.

Not positive if I want the prussian or black as I can't tell if the truly as blue and a richly deep color as the photos on the waterman site- gut says to go prussian blue.

Inititally I was going to buy the M nib but after reading many of your comments I'm thinking I should buy an F as I intend on using the carene for lecture notes.

Any suggestions before I purchase?

I found one on amazon for 70 dollars lower than anywhere else at 207, I'm hoping I'm not missing something but here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Carene-Delu...0534&sr=8-4

I can't wait to see one in person.

Edited by renlee

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." (T. S. Eliot, Little Gidding)

Try Pam Braun at Oscar Braun Pens or J.M. Lewertowski at Pen Seller in France on eBay. They'll probably beat that price and can help you with your color decision as well. Both are VERY reputable sellers.

Try Pam Braun at Oscar Braun Pens or J.M. Lewertowski at Pen Seller in France on eBay. They'll probably beat that price and can help you with your color decision as well. Both are VERY reputable sellers.

Thank you for the pointers, I've emailed both of them inquiring. Seems like J.M. Lewertoswki is away on vacation but is answering questions- hopefully he'll know his inventory from the top of his head. Thanks again.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." (T. S. Eliot, Little Gidding)

• 1 month later...

3 new colors for Carene!

Glossy Red, Frosty Brown and Vivid Blue!

Pens in use: Parker Duofold Cent. Marble Blue (F), Parker 51, Lamy Safari Yellow.

3 new colors for Carene!

Glossy Red, Frosty Brown and Vivid Blue!

Hmmm, thanks for the update, but I'm not thrilled, judging from the official website. Would like a nice darkblue one, but I don't like this kind of blue. Pity....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. I have inked my Carene using the converter that shipped with it and twice when I open the barrel to fill it again ink has leaked outside the converter and its a bit of a mess. Any ideas what could be going wrong? I am using the Aurora Black in my pen right now. I believe it also happened with the Pelikan black, but I can't be sure on that one. Thanks.

Hi folks. I have inked my Carene using the converter that shipped with it and twice when I open the barrel to fill it again ink has leaked outside the converter and its a bit of a mess. Any ideas what could be going wrong? I am using the Aurora Black in my pen right now. I believe it also happened with the Pelikan black, but I can't be sure on that one. Thanks.

My Carene seems to leak inside too. I normally use converters too, but a few times I've tried a cartridge out of desperation (real Waterman cartridge), and within a week the cartridge cracks from the opening down the side for over an inch. It is my best looking pen but it says in my drawer 99% of the time because of the problems I have with it. I couldn't even get it to write smoothly until I ran through a couple of loads of soapy ink (that was probably manufacturing oils but I've never had that kind of trouble on another pen). I'm also short a waterman converter at the moment, and it's my Carene I'm leaving out of the loop.

I'm actually thinking about getting another because I want to like the pen so much, but it's a lot of cash to never take out of the drawer.