Waterman Carene

Calbei

I received my new Waterman Carene yesterday in a gorgeous blue colour (ultramarine blue, I believe). It just seems perfect in every single way: the colour looks so deep under bright light (and I didn't think I'd get away with anything other than black or silver), the nib is so smooth, the 'tail' lines up perfectly with the nib, the trim has such an elegant shine, and the overall design is so streamlined and sleek (like the nib!).

I know Ghost Plane likes to chirp up about Carenes a lot, and it's probably Ghost Plane's enthusiasm that pushed me over the edge. I'm happy with my new pen though!

I just need to buy a nice set of inks now. I have been looking at Diamine Umber and Diamine Emerald and Diamine Kelly Green... but I could do with at least one blue and a black, after I've chosen my green of course. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• cantwell

• Con

• Maine Vintner

I received my new Waterman Carene yesterday in a gorgeous blue colour (ultramarine blue, I believe). It just seems perfect in every single way: the colour looks so deep under bright light (and I didn't think I'd get away with anything other than black or silver), the nib is so smooth, the 'tail' lines up perfectly with the nib, the trim has such an elegant shine, and the overall design is so streamlined and sleek (like the nib!).

I know Ghost Plane likes to chirp up about Carenes a lot, and it's probably Ghost Plane's enthusiasm that pushed me over the edge. I'm happy with my new pen though!

I just need to buy a nice set of inks now. I have been looking at Diamine Umber and Diamine Emerald and Diamine Kelly Green... but I could do with at least one blue and a black, after I've chosen my green of course. ;)

The Carene is a wonderful pen and I fell in love with it a long time ago, which is probably why I now have 5 of them!

I have just started using the Diamine brand of ink and find that it is delightful to use with a wide range of interesting colours. My favourite colour is Saddle Brown though I also enjoy using Diamine Umber and today I received my first bottle of Diamine Kelly Green - all nice colours. As far as blue ink, I think that Diamine Imperial Blue is a wonderful colour and I keep a bottle of that at work and at home.

I hope that you enjoy using your new Carene :thumbup:

I'm glad I contributed to your joy. Now you know why I purr every time I pick up a Carene. :meow:

• 1 month later...

The Carene is a wonderful pen and I fell in love with it a long time ago, which is probably why I now have 5 of them!

I have just started using the Diamine brand of ink and find that it is delightful to use with a wide range of interesting colours. My favourite colour is Saddle Brown though I also enjoy using Diamine Umber and today I received my first bottle of Diamine Kelly Green - all nice colours. As far as blue ink, I think that Diamine Imperial Blue is a wonderful colour and I keep a bottle of that at work and at home.

I hope that you enjoy using your new Carene :thumbup:

On the topic of inks and Carene. I am looking at getting a new pen and the Carene has certainly caught my eye! I also like what I have read about the Noodler's Bullet Proof black and the Aurora Black. Has anyone had any issues with these inks and the Carene with a F nib?

This board has been quite a useful tool so far in my research for a new pen! I have an old Elysee right now which I am fond of, but want another pen now. The black Carene with silver is where I am leaning though I am also considering the Exception Night and Day (also black and silver).

Just got a Carene blue deluxe with a stub nib. It is a strikingly beautiful pen. Much nicer than the pictures. The tail of mine doesn't line up with the nib. Is it supposed to? I was wondering about that.

cantwell - You may find the nib creep with Noodler's to be a difficulty with the inlaid nib. Granted it wasn't an F nib, but my B nib bathed me in ink whenever I loaded it with Noodlers. Waterman, Herbin and PR inks proved better behaved. I'm sure the F nibbers will be along soon to give you accuracy for size.

zenshrink - Play with it a little. You might find it's either a matter of where you start it or whether you're overcranking it. Remember, that O-ring can "give" sufficient that you overtorque things, resulting in crooked tail. If you stop where it's lined up AND the body is stable with the nib, you're where you should be. Welcome to stub bliss! :thumbup:

cantwell - You may find the nib creep with Noodler's to be a difficulty with the inlaid nib. Granted it wasn't an F nib, but my B nib bathed me in ink whenever I loaded it with Noodlers. Waterman, Herbin and PR inks proved better behaved. I'm sure the F nibbers will be along soon to give you accuracy for size.

zenshrink - Play with it a little. You might find it's either a matter of where you start it or whether you're overcranking it. Remember, that O-ring can "give" sufficient that you overtorque things, resulting in crooked tail. If you stop where it's lined up AND the body is stable with the nib, you're where you should be. Welcome to stub bliss! :thumbup:

Thanks, Ghost Plane. I have been reading through the Waterman forum a lot more this evening and have found the topic discussed concerning Carenes and Noodler's ink. There is a lot to dig through when you start reading! Most comments have agreed with what you have said. I had Herbin in my Elysee and it was very nice. I think I will order some of that when I get my new pen. Of the inks you mentioned which do you prefer?

I know in your other posts you mention that you stick with a B nib. Did you decide on this from trying different sizes? I am not sure what the nib size I have is so it is hard to compare though I do find it a little thick which is why I am leaning towards the F on the Carene.

I'm glad I contributed to your joy. Now you know why I purr every time I pick up a Carene. :meow:

I am torn between the Black/Silver and the Charcoal Grey Carene. It is damn hard to tell what they look like from photos online! Any comments?

Have you looked at the Waterman site?

http://waterman.com/en/style/pens/product/carene

My Black Sea with the gold trim looks just

like the picture on the site - high gloss

black.

I would imagine the Charcoal Grey would

be much the same as depicted there - dark

grey with a satin finish.

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

I am torn between the Black/Silver and the Charcoal Grey Carene. It is damn hard to tell what they look like from photos online! Any comments?

I'm biased since I have both :embarrassed_smile: I actually purchased the Charcoal Grey, then was gifted a Deluxe black and silver with a stub. I was afraid black and silver would be too ostentatiously traditional, whereas the grey is richly discrete. I prefer the matte surfaces given a choice, altho' I also have the sea green shimmer and amber shimmer just because they're so darn pretty.

I went to B nibs and then stubs after experimentation with the traditional F and M that was all I knew existed until I found this place. I write fast, I write a LOT and my handwriting requires serious ink flow. Bs and stubs are wet enough to keep up and make the slashes more legible. [i didn't say legible, I said MORE as opposed to less :rolleyes: ]

For work projects where I absolutely, positively require no runs, drips or errors, I use Waterman ink. No one cares about fancy colors there, other than assuring the real estate closing is done in blue. Outside of that, it took a little experimentation to discover what colors of the Herbin and PR traveled best in my pens. Of the Herbin, Bresil has been the best behaved of the colors I've tried. Makes my writing look positively archival. In PR, be careful of Tanzanite and Blue Suede that run a bit wet and Shoreline Gold will bubble in your converter and run dry, much like it's Noodler's counterpart Apache Sunset. Arabian Rose is very well behaved in my pens. I still use Blue Suede in them, I'm just careful not to put it in a traveling pen that's literally being tossed into a briefcase or purse. Black Cherry also behaves well for me, as does Orange Crush.

Experiment and see what works in your nib and travelling conditions. When I go mobile, I pop out the converters and throw in Waterman cartridges in a little snack size baggie. Fast, cheap and ensures you don't get a handful of ink when you uncap at the other end. :thumbup:

After a long hiatus, I inked up my brown Carene with Visconti Sepia. I had forgotten how much I liked the way that pen wrote. I've also been getting quite a few compliments on its good looks. Too bad it's too heavy for me to use for extended writing sessions!

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

I looked at the nib of my Elysee today and I saw that it had an M on it so I am thinking that the F nib is the way to go. I am off to order my Charcoal Grey Carene now along with some J Herbin ink as I have had good experience with that so far. Thanks for the help!

For work projects where I absolutely, positively require no runs, drips or errors, I use Waterman ink. No one cares about fancy colors there, other than assuring the real estate closing is done in blue. Outside of that, it took a little experimentation to discover what colors of the Herbin and PR traveled best in my pens. Of the Herbin, Bresil has been the best behaved of the colors I've tried. Makes my writing look positively archival. In PR, be careful of Tanzanite and Blue Suede that run a bit wet and Shoreline Gold will bubble in your converter and run dry, much like it's Noodler's counterpart Apache Sunset. Arabian Rose is very well behaved in my pens. I still use Blue Suede in them, I'm just careful not to put it in a traveling pen that's literally being tossed into a briefcase or purse. Black Cherry also behaves well for me, as does Orange Crush.

I am looking for a nice deep black. The J. Herbin I used in the past I liked so I think I will go for some of that with the Carene. Have you used black in either the Herbin or Private Reserve? Is the Waterman black a deep back? Anyone else? Thanks!

Waterman's not that deep a black. Since I prefer color, I can't tell you about any of the blacks in the other brands. Sorry.

Waterman's not that deep a black. Since I prefer color, I can't tell you about any of the blacks in the other brands. Sorry.

No worries! I ordered a Charcoal Grey F nib last night along with a bottle of Aurora Black, Private Reserve Black and Pelikan Black. I am just waiting on my confirmation now!

No worries! I ordered a Charcoal Grey F nib last night along with a bottle of Aurora Black, Private Reserve Black and Pelikan Black. I am just waiting on my confirmation now!

I got a call today from the folks at FPH and apparently the charcoal grey is being discontinued. They don't have any with the F nib in stock so they are going to see if they can order one. Perhaps it will be the black and silver after all!

Since the nib sections are all alike and black I don't see why they don't just change out a section and give you the nib you want on the pen you want!!! My Brick and Mortar store would do this!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Since the nib sections are all alike and black I don't see why they don't just change out a section and give you the nib you want on the pen you want!!! My Brick and Mortar store would do this!

They had no F nibs in stock at all as this is what they said they would have done. I am now just waiting for their next shipment to make it here. They have been great so far other than not having it in stock.

My favourite black is a 50/50 mix of Black Parker Quink and Pelikan Black. Though I heard Aurora makes a nice black ink.

Though for my Carenes only Waterman ink will do and I tend to stick with Florida Blue and Blue Black. My fav Carene is not a big lover of my black ink mix:)

Regards

Rowdy

(who only has 2 Carenes). I've just recently discovered them.