I feel like I'm getting screwed by Lamy

Titivillus

I sent my Lamy 2000 in for a nib exchange since I bought it with a medium and wanted an extrafine.

WELL, I just got an email from Bob saying that a nib, feed and gasket plus shipping and handling would be $45.00

has anyone else been given this type of pricing! My god that's half of what I paid for the pen and now even if I say no I'm going to be out at least $10

Life is sometimes unfair.

Kurt H

who's rather annoyed now.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Dillo

• antoniosz

• Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds excessive to me but does their website give any info regarding this? I hope you can work it out, Kurt.

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Hi,

Could it be that something went wrong with the original nib? or late turn in for nib swap? Just tell them that it came in for a nib swap again--actually, remind them. ;)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Could it be that something went wrong with the original nib? or late turn in for nib swap? Just tell them that it came in for a nib swap again--actually, remind them. ;)

Dillon

There was nothing wrong with the nib I sent them and there is no mention on the website for when a nib exchange is too late. I should have asked if I get the original nib back, in that case I would probably do it so I could send the bold out to be italiced.

I have replied asking about the price. I also emailed Germany to ask about nib exchange prices.

I will see what comes of it. Either way I'm going to get it I feel. :angry:

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Yup, I was completely shocked. I wanted to buy a used Lamy Studio and exchange the nib to an EF. I e-mailed Lamy asking for the price and it was definitely $45. Sheesh <_<

Needless to say, I'm better off buying a new one if I wanted it.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Yup, I was completely shocked. I wanted to buy a used Lamy Studio and exchange the nib to an EF. I e-mailed Lamy asking for the price and it was definitely $45. Sheesh <_<

Needless to say, I'm better off buying a new one if I wanted it.

That's really interesting since I have seen some people post that it was just the shipping cost for a nib exchange.

annoying,

K

Other than the fact that this is very MBish and crazy for the price of the pen, it is also against the warranty (or at least what I thought was the warranty) - 7 charge only. Am I inventing memories?

That's what I am trying to find exactly what price for each thing. I remember it being about in line with MOST manufacturers as some people of late have had a nib exchange for much less.

Maybe it's some confusion but I thought my letter was pretty clear about what I was requesting done.

Kurt H

I have sent 2000s to LamyUSA to have both used and unused nibs exchanged. They charged only $7.50 to exchange an unused nib for me. The charge to replace a used nib (really, to buy a second nib for the pen) was $45.00, and Bob offered to return the original nib.

I hope this helps.

I have sent 2000s to LamyUSA to have both used and unused nibs exchanged. They charged only $7.50 to exchange an unused nib for me. The charge to replace a used nib (really, to buy a second nib for the pen) was $45.00, and Bob offered to return the original nib.

I hope this helps.

That might be the case but I remember some people saying that even a used exchange was still $7.50!

Kurt H

Are you thinking of Pelikan? I've sent the same pen in twice for nib exchange (from medium, to fine, to extra fine) with no cost except the postage to send the pen to them.

Wow, $45 is a lot for a different nib. Lot's cheaper to have the old one modified.

Are you thinking of Pelikan? I've sent the same pen in twice for nib exchange (from medium, to fine, to extra fine) with no cost except the postage to send the pen to them.

Wow, $45 is a lot for a different nib. Lot's cheaper to have the old one modified.

had I know before sending it what the price was. But I was going on what people had posted. It sort of makes me shy of the whole brand now.

Kurt H

I hope this helps.

That might be the case but I remember some people saying that even a used exchange was still $7.50!

Kurt H

I'd be shocked if any pen company would swap a used one for just S&H. New - sure, but used? Do any do this? Just like to know for my information.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I'd be shocked if any pen company would swap a used one for just S&H.

I would be incredibly surprised that any of the coompanies would have the equipment to detect lightly used nibs. Unless there is a clear deformation or heavy usage, even a x60 magnification can not tell you whether a nib is used or not.

Edited by antoniosz

Hi Kurt,

That is a steep rate! I had a used nib (about 6 months old) exchanged for $7.50. I'm pretty sure they knew I gave them a used nib; in fact, I believe I said that the EF was a bit dry and too fine for my tastes. The repairman replaced the nib with an F and was kind enough to test it for me so that it would write at my specific writing angle and with the requested wetness. Furthermore, the reason I made the change was because I saw other people talk of their nib exchanges with Lamy going smoothly.

My nib exchange happened almost exactly one year ago. A few weeks after I received my pen, someone on Pentrace posted their dissatisfaction with Lamy's exorbinate nib exchange fee. It'd be reasonable to assume that Lamy changed their nib exchange policy a little less than a year ago, and that I snuck in my nib exchange just in time.

Sorry to hear about your problem with Lamy. Good luck with their repair department.

Best,

Daniel

Hi,

Just send it to Germany. They did not charge me single penny and carried all repairs to perfection and my satisfaction. :)

Great people back there!!

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I hope this helps.

Kurt H

I'd be shocked if any pen company would swap a used one for just S&H. New - sure, but used? Do any do this? Just like to know for my information.

I know I tried out several nibs on my Delta, and each time they exchanged my nib for only the shipping costs. They were all used. Also, I've had Montblanc switch out a nib and send it back to me for $10.00, they never asked me if it was used or not.

I know when I had my pelikan, they too exchange a used medium to a broad for shipping costs.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

I hope this helps.

Kurt H

I know I tried out several nibs on my Delta, and each time they exchanged my nib for only the shipping costs. They were all used. Also, I've had Montblanc switch out a nib and send it back to me for $10.00, they never asked me if it was used or not.

I know when I had my pelikan, they too exchange a used medium to a broad for shipping costs.

Bryan

When you send them for a nib exchange, they don't send you your own nib back right?

I did that for a completely new Waterman pen for $10.00 & they didn't send me back my old new one.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hi,

They will be able to tell if the nib is used or not because unused Lamy 2000 nibs normally have some water or Lamy Blue or black residue from testing. The absence of such tells a lot about the nib.

Dillon

Dillon