The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Elite short/long: cross-hatched cap, 18K white gold nib

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:18

First Impressions
Finally! A short/long with white metal trim, and a stainless cap! This one came to me from a Malaysian friend of mine. No box or paperwork, but frankly, that stuff isnít important to me. Iíd been looking for a gold-nibbed short/long without gold trim,m so this one was right up my alley.

Appearance
the barrel and section are glossy black plastic, with a chrome trim ring acting as a bump-stop for the cap (itís a slip-cap). The barrel is imprinted FP17, but Iím not sure what that mean. The nib is an 18K white gold nib thatís similar to those found on the Pilot Super series from the 50s and 60s (and maybe early 70s). Itís sort of shaped like a fingernail. The nib is marked 18K 750, Pilot <F> H1276; the H1276 indicates a December 1976 manufacture date. The feed is a translucent smoky gray.

the cap is stainless steel, with an etched rectangular cross-hatched pattern. The etching is enameled black. The clip is metal, chrome-plated, with a divot/valley running the length of it. Pilot is engraved in it. At the bottom of the cap, aligned directly below the clip, is the word ďEliteĒ in Pilotís signature script.

Design/Size/Weight
As a short/long pen, the barrel is very short at about 1.5Ē in length. Historically, these pens were designed to fit in a Japanese shirt pocket, which wasnít terribly deep. The great thing about these pens, though, is that they post out to a nearly perfectly-balanced full-sized pen thatís slender, but about 5.5Ē long. as far as portability is concerned, theyíre perfect for a pants pocket or a purse. To me, itís nearly perfect as far as weight, too. Iím guessing that when fully loaded, itís no more than 25g. Itís very comfortable to hold, and works great for long writing sessions. I wish Iíd had one of these when I was in college!

Nib
Hereís where it gets interesting, as far as this particular pen is concerned. When I got it (and I knew it was coming this way), it wasnít writing well. It was a little scratchy, and had a persistent skipping problem. The tines seemed okay, but it wasnít working the way that it should. After a thorough cleaning and flossing of the nib, it got a little better, but still wasnít what I was happy with. I did a little more cleaning in an ultrasonic bath, but wasnít able to do much with it, as my life had taken a sudden change in direction. I put it away, and didnít come back to it until late this week.

Well, I think that having that time to rest must have done the trick, because when I finally got back to it and filled it with a converter of Pelikan Royal Blue, itís been nearly perfect. No skipping or scratches here; just a very even, moderately dry inkflow, and a super-smooth nib.

This nib is markedly different from other short/long nibs Iíve written with. While the others (a 14K XF Platinum and a steel Pilot Volex) have been good, theyíve been very rigid. This one, though, is remarkably soft. I wouldnít call it flexible, but itís not too much of a stretch to call it springy. Itís really nice to write with.

Filling System
While not terribly groundbreaking, itís worth noting that these Elite short/longs use Pilotís cartridges, the aerometric CON-20 converter, and (I think) the CON-50 screw-type piston converter. Iím pretty sure that the cartridge holds the most ink.

Cost and Value
I think that short/long pens, as a category, are quite a bargain. Theyíre not always the easiest to find in the model youíre after, as they werenít always well-catalogued like other vintage pens (i.e., Vacumatics, ď51Ēs, etc.) But...once you know what youíre looking for, youíll find that there are lots of them (many still uninked with stickers) available on eBay. Prices range all over the place, but you can typically get one for less than $100 shipped.

Conclusion
I think that these are great little pens, and this one is a shining example of what they should be. Itís rare to get one thatís a bad writer. Try one...you wonít be disappointed!

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 00:29

Ryan, a very nice review of a pen that I'd say often goes understated. smile.gif At first these short pens look peculiar, with their stubby bodies and long caps. But over time, it grows on you. I use a couple of these, one a MYU with integrated nib. The non-integrated nibs are better writers and tend to write leaner than by Western standards--which is a good thing!

I think you did the right thing--getting a used one without a sticker. That lowers the price reasonably and also encourages use (there's something about a mint pen with a sticker on it that feels like sacrilege to ink up). And these pens are best when put to paper. biggrin.gif

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:24

Congratulations, Ryan, both on finally acquiring a metal pocket pen and the fine review of it. I have the same Elite "Isaac Newton" though mine is a little older than yours with a date code of 876. wink.gif

BTW Namiki Blue as well as Waterman Blue-Black seem to improve flow in the Elites when that is an issue. Rather than scratchy I'd say mine give a bit of feedback but a good match of ink to pen usually minimizes it.

One thing that surprised me about these pens is the balance and comfort. In fact it's so good I can draw with them, something I cannot do with heavier Western pens. For me that's the ultimate test that these pens pass with ease.
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#4 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:34

Thanks to you both. I think that as a genre, they're very under-rated, and I really don't understand why. Nearly every Japanese nib I've ever written with has been fantastic, and they're often heralded as about the best you can get out of the box, so it doesn't make sense to me that these nibs aren't more highly sought-after in a vintage application.

Maybe it's the stubby body or something.

Oh well...I guess that means more for those of us who really love 'em!

#5 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:57

Thank you for a great review, Ryan! My first pen was short-long pen, and I wish I still had it. Mine was Platinum but also had an 18K white gold nib, too.

H on the nib code means it was made in Pilot Hiratsuka Factory in Kanagawa Prefecture. There used to be another factory in Tokyo, and the pens made in Tokyo had T instead of H. Tokyo Factory closed in 1978. Currently there are two production lines in Hiratsuka Factory - Line A and Line B, and the nib codes starts with A or B depending on which line it was produced.

#6 Shamouti

Shamouti

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:34

Hey, I have that pen!

The tuxedoed Pilot Elite with it's fine stainless steel cap, black barrel and white gold nib is truly a pleasure to write with. Easily one of the best pens Pilot ever produced. If you are interested in finding a good one, most likely, you'd go to eBay and do a search. Since these pens were made only for Japan, it's very rare when you can find one in the States. Start on the auctions and go from there. You won't regret writing with a Pilot Elite. Thanks for the fantastic review, Ryan!

Shamouti

Edited by Shamouti, 26 May 2008 - 02:39.

#7 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:07

Hi Ryan and all,

I've got one like Ryan's except mine has the barrel end also in the cross-hatched stainless. I really like it a lot. I've also got it's near kin sitting on my desk, a Platinum black stripe - it's just waiting on me to modify a Platinum converter so I can use bottled ink.

Take care,
Michael
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#8 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:00

Southpaw, we need some pictures of that one!

BTW folks, this thread now has better pictures! I got some on Friday before my camera bit the dust for good (long story...don't ask).

*For size comparison, that's a standard "51" aerometric.

Sponsored Content

|