how to load a sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen

pens243

hi. i just went to the store and bought a sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen that uses ink cartridges. the pen i had bought came with two cartridges. when i came home i looked at the back and there were no instructions on how to load it. here is a picture of what it looks like:

sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen

please help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pens243

• jbb

• SheilaVG

• Ernst Bitterman

Welcome to FPN pens243.

Open the pen by unscrewing it in the middle (between the nib and barrel.) Put your ink cartridge in the barrel. When you screw it back together the nib/feed part will pierce the cartridge -- thus allowing the ink to flow to the nib. Sometimes it takes a shake or two to get the ink flowing.

my pen came in four parts. the nib, cartridge and there is two more parts at the top. how do you put those two together?

my pen came in four parts. the nib, cartridge and there is two more parts at the top. how do you put those two together?

There is normally:

1. a cap

2. the nib

3. the barrel

4. the cartridge

Are you looking at something that does not fit that description?

Put the cartidge in the barrel. Screw the nib onto the barrel with the cartridge in it (this will pierce the cartridge.) Screw on the cap.

Edited by jbb

ok i got it working now.

thanks for your help. everyone who helped me get this pen working were really nice. i was just going to use my account for this purpose, but i think ill use this account more offten. thanks for being so nice to me and sending me quick replies.

i hope it lasts for a long time. by the way jbb, i hope you don't mind but i added you as one of my friends seeing that you helped me out.

also i have another question.

when i was using the pen some of the ink came onto the metal side of the nib. is this normal? i am new to fountain pens so this probably sounds like a stupid question to you experts.

when i said metal side of the nib i meant this side. please click on the picture:

the metal side of the nib

when i was using the pen some of the ink came onto the metal side of the nib. is this normal? i am new to fountain pens so this probably sounds like a stupid question to you experts.

It's not ideal, but it's perfectly normal. You can wipe it off if it bothers you, or leave it until you clean the pen...

...which you should do once every month or two. Take the cartridge off the section and run water through the ink-way until the water comes out clear. The rest the point on a piece of paper towel to draw out the water let inside, and you're ready to go again.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just bought one of these pens today and though I totally understand your instructions they do not work so:

On the ink cartridge, there is an end that is the same dark grey color and an end where the little ring is white. Which end goes in? And what exactly is piercing it?

I just bought one of these pens today and though I totally understand your instructions they do not work so:

On the ink cartridge, there is an end that is the same dark grey color and an end where the little ring is white. Which end goes in? And what exactly is piercing it?

With the modern Sheaffer cartridges, one end has a shallow indentation and is generally the color of the cartridge body. The other end has a deeper indentation and is "natural" polyethylene-colored, or black (or possibly some other color; I don't have many samples). The end with the deeper indent goes down into the barrel, while the shallower end is the one that gets opened.

At the back of the section/nib unit is a plastic or metal tip that "pierces" the cartridge when the barrel is screwed back on.

Old-style Sheaffer cartridges had two flat ends; it didn't matter which way they went into the pen, and the piercer was designed to actually make a hole in the cartridge, rather than just push the seal out of the opening.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 4 years later...

With the modern Sheaffer cartridges, one end has a shallow indentation and is generally the color of the cartridge body. The other end has a deeper indentation and is "natural" polyethylene-colored, or black (or possibly some other color; I don't have many samples). The end with the deeper indent goes down into the barrel, while the shallower end is the one that gets opened.

At the back of the section/nib unit is a plastic or metal tip that "pierces" the cartridge when the barrel is screwed back on.

Old-style Sheaffer cartridges had two flat ends; it didn't matter which way they went into the pen, and the piercer was designed to actually make a hole in the cartridge, rather than just push the seal out of the opening.

Aha! This is why I cannot seem to use a non-Shaefer cart in a Shaefer Calligraphy pen I found in an old box of stuff i hadn't looked at for a number of years.

The nibs have the metal cart piercer. I was going to use a a hammer but that seemed extreme.

Instead, I have ordered a Parker set from India.