ST Dupont rollerball performance

Hi all.

Last year I was given an ST Dupont D-Link rollerball pen. It's very nice to hold and I like the styling, however it's severely lacking as a writing experience. With a new refil it writes nicely, but after a couple of weeks (at most) the ink just dries up and the writing becomes poor and unreliable. This happens regardless of whether I use it a lot or very little. From a little reading on this forum, this seems to be a recurring problem for some rollerballs. At the price of official refills this makes it very expensive to live with.

Before I retire the pen to it's box in the cupboard, does anyone make an compatible refills which perform better?

Thanks very much,

Mark.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay9498

• MrStuff

• kentmaster

• Gawain

I just got the Fidelio Rollerball. Very, very nice fit & finish. I got it from Ed Hamilton at Century Pens in Chicago. I assume you know that Dupont makes a ballpoint refill for the rollerballs. That obviously is not the point of having a rollerball. I heard that Yafa / Monteverde might start making refills for Dupont especially since Dupont had a factory fire that has limited production and there is a distributor issue here in the US. I haven't tried fitting other brand refills in the Dupont yet.

Sincerely,

Jay

I just got the Fidelio Rollerball. Very, very nice fit & finish. I got it from Ed Hamilton at Century Pens in Chicago. I assume you know that Dupont makes a ballpoint refill for the rollerballs. That obviously is not the point of having a rollerball. I heard that Yafa / Monteverde might start making refills for Dupont especially since Dupont had a factory fire that has limited production and there is a distributor issue here in the US. I haven't tried fitting other brand refills in the Dupont yet.

Sincerely,

Jay

Hi Jay,

thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately it's my intent to avoid ever writing with a ballpen again unless I have no choice at the time. I haven't had any response or any luck trying to find a compatible rollerball refill, so the pen is tucked away in the drawer while I use my fountain pens at work and home. Does seem a bit of a shame though.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd be very happy to hear them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi all.

Last year I was given an ST Dupont D-Link rollerball pen. It's very nice to hold and I like the styling, however it's severely lacking as a writing experience. With a new refil it writes nicely, but after a couple of weeks (at most) the ink just dries up and the writing becomes poor and unreliable. This happens regardless of whether I use it a lot or very little. From a little reading on this forum, this seems to be a recurring problem for some rollerballs. At the price of official refills this makes it very expensive to live with.

Before I retire the pen to it's box in the cupboard, does anyone make an compatible refills which perform better?

Thanks very much,

Mark.

you can use the PILOT G2 refill w/ a piece of paper at the end of barrel.

Thank you for the information! A lot of gels and some rollerballs 'glob' at the bottom of cursive letters such as J and y which is obviously annoying to me. The G2 refill is very nice. I find it doesn't have this problem very much.

Oh wow, awesome, something I can reply to. :happyberet:

I'm here because of one pen and one gel cartridge. The pen is a Marvy St. Tropez II and the gel cartridge is ITOYA Advanced Gel Refill GMR-7 BLACK! I have owned hundreds of pens trying to discover one that I would enjoy writing with. I've even tried a Mount Blanc roller and ball point. I've never been happy until now. The ITOYA GMR-7 Gel refill is truly impressive and fun to write with. I believe there may be instruments and pens for me now, after looking for some 40 years. Which again, is why I'm here. I've found the inspiration I needed to BELIEVE :cloud9:

Iseelpens.com has the ITOYA gel refills. Sorry, but Marvy has discontinued the St. Tropez II... the St. Tropez is still available.

Gawain, a true believer

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

• 2 months later...
Oh wow, awesome, something I can reply to. :happyberet:

I'm here because of one pen and one gel cartridge. The pen is a Marvy St. Tropez II and the gel cartridge is ITOYA Advanced Gel Refill GMR-7 BLACK! I have owned hundreds of pens trying to discover one that I would enjoy writing with. I've even tried a Mount Blanc roller and ball point. I've never been happy until now. The ITOYA GMR-7 Gel refill is truly impressive and fun to write with. I believe there may be instruments and pens for me now, after looking for some 40 years. Which again, is why I'm here. I've found the inspiration I needed to BELIEVE :cloud9:

Iseelpens.com has the ITOYA gel refills. Sorry, but Marvy has discontinued the St. Tropez II... the St. Tropez is still available.

Gawain, a true believer

does this fit in an ST DUPONT Orpheo Roller?