I will think long and hard before buying another Italian pen

Titivillus

Maybe if you get perfect pens from the factory that never need to be repaired as obviously several people have commented, lauding the beauty and writing perfection of Italian pens. But for me my luck has been bad and I have needed to send several Italian pens to be repaired: Visconti, Stipula, Delta, OMAS have all made trips back to their factory and for extended times.

Now this would not bother me except that there should be some assumed quality control on these things, granted they are not sensitive medical instruments, so why have I had bad luck with them?

Sending a pen in for multiple issues and only having one issue repaired is the thing that bugs me the most. I sent one OMAS back 3 times because the repairer only fixed one thing each time. This has been true with Visconti as well and in both cases I just gave up as another trip just meant more money and time without the pen.

Lack of communication is another bete noir that seems to happen more when pens go overseas but after 2 months it would have been nice to know that the factory received the pen and it is in que. Maybe they get too many repair returns which is another concern :rolleyes: as that department is overwhelmed.

I guess I'm echoing others when they say that Italian pens are nice to look at but expect to have to do some work to get them working. For me I'm just tired of all the additional work.

Kurt

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• jkrewalk

• gylyf

• Deirdre

I don't see Aurora on that list...

EDIT: Yes, I think you need an Aurora Optima, the EF nibs are wonderful...

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

Patrick,

of course you can't see Aurora on a not-to-buy list :glare:

Most Italian companies make beautiful things, but the quality control does not exist.

I am happy with all my Aurora pens.

Best

Dirk

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

Patrick,

of course you can't see Aurora on a not-to-buy list :glare:

Most Italian companies make beautiful things, but the quality control does not exist.

I am happy with all my Aurora pens.

Best

Dirk

Aurora is on my not to buy list because I don't like the size of the pens and jacking up the price because it is a different color of the standard pen is annoying to me. :thumbup: So I have had good luck with the quality just not the pens :ltcapd:

Kurt

Another Italian that should not be on a do-not-buy list is Signum. Signum pens are made by the Essegi family, which left Omas because of differences over design and quality. We are a Signum dealer, and we chose to represent the brand because we are confident of its quality.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Stunning design and material is their forte for sure. I am willing to do the tweaking to get them running at performance. The nibs (at least on my Stipulas and Visconti's are "like butter" too...albeit on a couple of occasions..not out of the box). I have the utmost of respect for Pelikan, Waterman, Dupont, and others...but when you get your Italian pen in the groove...it's just a great experience.

Some may not be willing to go through it...and understandably so...but I am.

Peter

Another Italian that should not be on a do-not-buy list is Signum. Signum pens are made by the Essegi family, which left Omas because of differences over design and quality. We are a Signum dealer, and we chose to represent the brand because we are confident of its quality.

I owned and sold a signum mainly because the nib was so out of proportion to the rest of the pen. did not need to send it for repair but the pen itself, like Aurora, was not pleasing to my eye.

Kurt

Maybe if you get perfect pens from the factory that never need to be repaired as obviously several people have commented, lauding the beauty and writing perfection of Italian pens. But for me my luck has been bad and I have needed to send several Italian pens to be repaired: Visconti, Stipula, Delta, OMAS have all made trips back to their factory and for extended times.

Now this would not bother me except that there should be some assumed quality control on these things, granted they are not sensitive medical instruments, so why have I had bad luck with them?

Sending a pen in for multiple issues and only having one issue repaired is the thing that bugs me the most. I sent one OMAS back 3 times because the repairer only fixed one thing each time. This has been true with Visconti as well and in both cases I just gave up as another trip just meant more money and time without the pen.

Lack of communication is another bete noir that seems to happen more when pens go overseas but after 2 months it would have been nice to know that the factory received the pen and it is in que. Maybe they get too many repair returns which is another concern :rolleyes: as that department is overwhelmed.

I guess I'm echoing others when they say that Italian pens are nice to look at but expect to have to do some work to get them working. For me I'm just tired of all the additional work.

Kurt

I could not agree more with you on this and have had numerous similar experiences. Quality control is NOT that difficult!!!! I think it is downright shameful that you spend A LOT of money for a beautiful Italian pen and you get a pen that will not write (after all - is not the main purpose of a p-e-n to write?). I have 20.00 pens that write smooth as silk and will out write pens that cost between 500.00 and 1000.00!!!!!!! Isn't that downright idiotic folks - think about that for a minute and please do not try to justify it by saying that they are "pretty" and that makes it all OK!!!!!!!! I have never had similar problems with Pelikan, Sheaffer, Parker, Sailor, Bexley, Lamy, Waterman - why do I have it with every Italian brand I have purchased???

Only one word for Italian quality control - SHAMEFUL! Sorry everyone - but it is true.

Edited by jkrewalk

Well, I've only had one problematic Italian pen, an Aurora Optima whose piston went bad. Every other pen has been fine. As for the bad nibs, I think we let Bock off of the hook entirely too often and easily. I've had as many baby-bottom Pelikan nibs as I have OMAS nibs. The common factor? Bock. Having said that, I've also had overly-dry Pilot nibs and baby-bottomed Sailor nibs. I've had a scratchy Sheaffer nib. I had a MB that leaked after it was filled. Ditto a Waterman. I mean the list goes on and on.

The implication of these negative posts is always that brands form other countries have better QC than Italian brands, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I will say, however, that I'm sick and tired of Bock baby-bottoms.

David

Edited by cellulophile

I've only had one occasion to send a pen out for service (under the manufacturer's warranty). The pen is the Aurora Fuoco LE, purchased from World Lux. The entire piston mechanism came undone after one use.

I can't comment on proper service because I've not received the pen back yet. I will note, however, that Kenro was slow to get back to me when I enquired about warranty service. They also required me to ship the pen with cash for the cost of shipping. I offered my FedEx account information, but they wanted cash. Strange, and frankly, a bit tacky.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Sent my Ripple off yesterday for a nib swap after a consult with Ken Jones. My impression is that things are turning around in the service department at Visconti. Corporations are like aircraft carriers - it takes ages to change course. For one company, at least, it looks like the helm is hard over and they're charting a new path. Let's give 'em a chance to settle to the new heading.

Sent my Ripple off yesterday for a nib swap after a consult with Ken Jones. My impression is that things are turning around in the service department at Visconti. Corporations are like aircraft carriers - it takes ages to change course. For one company, at least, it looks like the helm is hard over and they're charting a new path. Let's give 'em a chance to settle to the new heading.

Understandable from a service perspective - but why on earth should the nib need to be swapped in the first place given the amount of money you paid for a "fine writing instrument" (please note the word "writing")? Given the fact that cheap school pens can write perfectly first time and every time, why can't we expect that a pen that costs many, many times more (actually the equivalent of a small fortune) be expected to not only write as well - but even better than a cheap pen????

Is this not a perturbing question in the pen world? Can anyone actually successfully answer this perturbing question? I think not because there really is no excuse for it. When you buy a Mercedes or any other expensive car, do you not expect it to perform better than an average car? Of course you do!! The car is made for driving performance. Well people guess what? A pen is made for writing and an expensive pen should be expected to outperform an average pen in this area.

I might also add that this kind of bad writing experience would be enough to prevent someone from ever using a fountain pen again and hampers our interest in fostering the use and enjoyment of fine fountain pens.

It is one thing for us collectors to be persistent but what about the newbie? Most would give up in disgust and ask "why in the world would I give up using my Mont Blanc (or other) ballpoint or rollerball that writes smoothly every time for this useless non-writing instrument" (i.e the expensive one that doesn't write)? I would say the answer would be rightfully asked and one would struggle hard to find an answer. I think it would be very stupid to say "because they are pretty and need to be coaxed into working". The average person would never ever buy that answer and would never try buying another fountain pen again. Why should they?

So, I propose that all of us do whatever we can to make a plea to these manufacturers to improve their nib writing quality and bring it up to the same quality standards that the outward exterior is made to. They need to know that writing is as important as appearance. Because if this continues, people will be turned away from the world of fountain pens - and rightfully so.

I've only had one occasion to send a pen out for service (under the manufacturer's warranty). The pen is the Aurora Fuoco LE, purchased from World Lux. The entire piston mechanism came undone after one use.

I can't comment on proper service because I've not received the pen back yet. I will note, however, that Kenro was slow to get back to me when I enquired about warranty service. They also required me to ship the pen with cash for the cost of shipping. I offered my FedEx account information, but they wanted cash. Strange, and frankly, a bit tacky.

That was my experience with Kenro as well, Kate (and also my experience with the piston unit on my Optima). And having to include a $25 check with a pen I'd literally just bought was a bit annoying, to put it mildly. Having said that, the pen I sent in for service came back as good as new. I hope that's also the case with your pen. Best,

David

Because they charge more than the fed ex price.

Harv.

I'm afraid Italian pens do not perform worse than other brands... I've sent Pelikans (M400, M800, 1935), Montblancs (Woolf, Fitz, Dosto), Sheaffers (Balances and Legacy), Auroras (Optima), Viscontis (Augusta), Tibaldis (Iride), Omases (Spina di Pesce, Lucens) numerous times back for repairs. Some I won't bother sending in because they write well and it would be too much hassle, such as a Pelikan 1931 leaking inside its cap, an Aurora Archivi Storici 022 incontinent both on paper and inside the cap and an Aurora Nobile which periodically requires a thermometer-like shake to get the ink flow going.

I've learned not to expect an expensive new FP to perform well out of the box, oh no. Admittedly, I buy most of my FP online, but now that I think of it, the few that I bought in stores have all made a trip back to their makers (Spina di Pesce for a piston leak, the Fitz for a jammed up piston and the Augusta, for an ink flow issue not even a nibmesiter was able to fully correct - the entire nib unit was eventually changed for 122 euros, ouch).

Flawless performance is simply incompatible with (modern) FP large-scale manufacturing. I do wonder if smaller scale affairs, like Classic Pens, Perchins or Thighes do fare better, although the Bock post above seems to indicate otherwise.

PS Chartpak offers for Pelikans by far the best service in my experience. If it is impossible to make flawless pens, manufacturers should at least try to offer service like that across the board.

Edited by RedRob

I cannot say by any means that Italian brands have worse quality control than other national brands. The popular cliche that the Italians have been carrying around for decades - "Great design but lousy quality" - is only partially true in my view (especially the former part of this statement is true, :thumbup: )

I will say that I've had some issues with Italian pens but I've also had issues with pens from Germany, Great Britain, France etc...

They also required me to ship the pen with cash for the cost of shipping. I offered my FedEx account information, but they wanted cash. Strange, and frankly, a bit tacky.

That rankles with one the most, doesn't it, especially if said pen is brand new. It's like adding insult to injury. Having said that, I cannot recommend Kenro either. After frustration with two pens had built up with them, I wrote them an email in which I detailed my issues that I have with them. They never replied and took up a position... I also have to say that they don't seem to know a lot about pens nor do they care to learn. What a pitty.

Flawless performance is simply incompatible with (modern) FP large-scale manufacturing.

I respectfully totally disagree. The Parker, Sheaffer, and especially Pilot and Pelikan and other classic "school pens" - some of which are under 20 dollars are made by the thousands and are flawless in ther performance and even have cheap steel nibs to boot. They make them in far more quantities - so why cant an expensive pen - which according to most of their Italian websites is largely "hand made", pay more attention to "hand testing" the nib???? Omas claims it "takes as much as 100 days to make just one pen" - forgive me but what the heck are they doing? In 100 days they couldn't have tested it thoroughly??? Come on.....please. Hardly large scale manufacturing!

Keep in mind too the Pilot disposable Varsity. Made by the thousands and a throw away - perfect writer everytime and silky smooth without ever being "sent back" to the factory! And what about the 30 dollar Waterman Phileas and Lam Safari? How about all Lamy's for that matter - should I go on?

And - Oh yes - right now in the Market Watch forum is a Pilot 78G for 24.00. Buy 100 of these and I guarantee every one will be a perfect writer and not one will have to be "returned" or "adjusted". Each nib is silky smooth as can be - flawless performance for 24.00 and made in large scale manufacturing!!!

So please do not tell me it cannot be done!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jkrewalk

As a follow up to my last post, I just went to the OMAS website where it claims the following and I quote:

>>>>The numerous delicate operations involved in the production process mean that all OMAS pens are handmade. Approximately 100 working days are required to produce a celluloid pen. Each individual item is the result of attention to the tiniest detail.<<<<<<

After all of this they can't make sure the nib is perfect??????????????

This is anything but large scale manfacturing - each pen is handmade (unless you feel they are lying).

Other Italian websites make similar claims of being handmade.

See for yourself by clicking HERE

Keep in mind too the Pilot disposable Varsity. Made by the thousands and a throw away - perfect writer everytime and silky smooth without ever being "sent back" to the factory! And what about the 30 dollar Waterman Phileas and Lam Safari? How about all Lamy's for that matter - should I go on?

With all due respect, do you just choose to ignore the myriad "My Lamy 2000 leaks" or "My Lamy Safari is too dry" threads on FPN? Again, run a search in the Pelikan forum and you'll see how many negative threads there are. QC issues are endemic to the FP industry as a whole. Like I said in a previous post, I've had issues with Pilot and Sailor pens as well. It's deplorable, but singling out Italian companies is a bit tiresome.

Regards,

David

With all due respect, do you just choose to ignore the myriad "My Lamy 2000 leaks" or "My Lamy Safari is too dry" threads on FPN? Again, run a search in the Pelikan forum and you'll see how many negative threads there are. QC issues are endemic to the FP industry as a whole. Like I said in a previous post, I've had issues with Pilot and Sailor pens as well. It's deplorable, but singling out Italian companies is a bit tiresome.

Regards,

David

With all due respect, the Lamy Safari is a 20 dollar pen and the 2000 under 100. The Italian pens people are sending back cost as much as thousands of dollars (and rarely less than 500 or so).

When you eat at a fine restaurant and pay a lot of money for it do you not expect a really fine meal - or do you expect McDonalds quality? When I pay a lot of money for a fine pen I expect it to work far better than any pen costing far less.