OHTO TASCHE

Frankster

Hi,

I actually liked it, but I want to buy it from Japan. It is supposed to go for $10. I want the pink one if you were wondering, and I have a filler for it already.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• Betty

• BinomialSpider

• Frankster

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I actually liked it, but I want to buy it from Japan. It is supposed to go for $10. I want the pink one if you were wondering, and I have a filler for it already.

Dillon

You're going to Japan soon or something? I'm going to have a lot of pen buying favors then :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hi,

I might want to go there, but the longest I stayed was 2 hours in the airport. I REALLY REALLY want a Champagne pink Pilot Decimo Capless. (Who knows, I might find it in the Osaka airport.)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 2 years later...
This is my first attempt at providing a written review on the Ohto Tasche fountain pen. This is a full sized fountain pen when open. This slim pen is claimed to be one of the top ten fountain pens in Japan, ranked even above the Montblanc 146, Pelican M600 and the Rotring 600. Amazing, since this sleek Japanese fountain pen is only a fraction of the price ($20.00 US). The pen has an ingenious design that allows the pen to be carried as a small compact pen when closed, but use m long when closed, 10 cm long when used by itself, and 14.7 cm when used with the cap on.

http://www.ohto.co.jp/images/new_products/Tasche/image_tasche.jpg

Japenese pen nibs ususally run fine, however, the Tasche nib writies in an an American/German medium nib size and nicely places ink down on the paper. I've also heard that the nib on the Tasche is manufactured in Germany. The pen writes buttery smooth and accepts international sized ink cartridges. The colors available are Black, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

http://tinypic.com/if1hxj.jpg

For an inexpensive fountain pen, that writes buttery smooth and can easily be carried in the pocket, the Ohto Tasche is hard to beat.

thanks for the rundown on this little pen... I bought something called a Pilot Birdie sweet flower from ebay with a very fine nib and love it; I have been looking for another and cannot fine one. I found this OHTO Tasche instead but the line is not as fine as I would like, not that I saw your comments. Any ideas on where to find the Pilot Birdie sweet flower? I read it was made only for the Japanese people but am not sure about this.

Edited by Chrysoulla

This is my first attempt at providing a written review on the Ohto Tasche fountain pen. This is a full sized fountain pen when open. This slim pen is claimed to be one of the top ten fountain pens in Japan, ranked even above the Montblanc 146, Pelican M600 and the Rotring 600. Amazing, since this sleek Japanese fountain pen is only a fraction of the price ($20.00 US). The pen has an ingenious design that allows the pen to be carried as a small compact pen when closed, but use m long when closed, 10 cm long when used by itself, and 14.7 cm when used with the cap on.

http://www.ohto.co.jp/images/new_products/Tasche/image_tasche.jpg

Japenese pen nibs ususally run fine, however, the Tasche nib writies in an an American/German medium nib size and nicely places ink down on the paper. I've also heard that the nib on the Tasche is manufactured in Germany. The pen writes buttery smooth and accepts international sized ink cartridges. The colors available are Black, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

http://tinypic.com/if1hxj.jpg

For an inexpensive fountain pen, that writes buttery smooth and can easily be carried in the pocket, the Ohto Tasche is hard to beat.

Thanks for the rundown on this little pen... I bought something called a Pilot Birdie sweet flower from ebay over a year ago; it has a very fine nib and I love it; I have been looking for another and cannot find one. It comes in blue and lavender that I know of; I have the blue one. Then, I found this OHTO Tasche instead but the line is not as fine as I would like, now that I saw your comments. Any ideas on where to find the Pilot Birdie sweet flower? I read it was made only for the Japanese people but am not sure about this.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the review! I have one of these, too. It was my first fountain pen. I live in Japan, so I just picked up one up at a stationary store on a whim. On the nib is written "Iridium Point, Germany". It writes well for a cheap, but interesting pen which can be stored away very easily.

I have a Rotring with a very similar retractable design. May be a case of Germany-Japan cooperation?

Per aspera ad astra

Mine was terrible. The nib was scratchy with a horrible ink flow. Tried all the tricks I've read in this forum, i.e., flossing, brown bag, etc., to no avail. Luckily, the seller was kind enough to take the pen back.

• 11 months later...

This pen nib is well into the medium size, and is somewhat scratchy to write with. OHTO ink is very watery and therefore flows well. The pen sometimes skips, but I'm not sure if this is the pen or the ink. Most of the time an initial stroke (after not writing for some seconds) comes out slow at the beginning of the stroke, then pools at the end of the stroke. This was very problematic trying to do the smear test.

Dry time with OHTO ink is very slow! Dry time is at a geologic pace compared to Parker Quink, Private Reserve or Aurora inks. I did a smear test and it took about 40 seconds to dry on paper from an Eccolo World Traveler notebook. On paper with great gain, like standard 3x5 cards, the ink was dry in 10 seconds.

Because I am left handed, I have to take extreme care when writing with the OHTO ink. I tried to write three checks with this pen- Just say no to that! I'm going to try the different cartridges and see how it goes.

I did not have to adjust the nib, like other writers have.

I like the feel of the pen, which is very light. Weight is balanced towards the nib, slightly but not obtrusively. The compact nature of the pen is great for carrying in a jeans pocket.

For the price this pen is a gem, but definitely don't use OHTO ink.

post-93659-0-41689500-1357883213.jpg

This pen nib is well into the medium size, and is somewhat scratchy to write with. OHTO ink is very watery and therefore flows well. The pen sometimes skips, but I'm not sure if this is the pen or the ink. Most of the time an initial stroke (after not writing for some seconds) comes out slow at the beginning of the stroke, then pools at the end of the stroke. This was very problematic trying to do the smear test.

Dry time with OHTO ink is very slow! Dry time is at a geologic pace compared to Parker Quink, Private Reserve or Aurora inks. I did a smear test and it took about 40 seconds to dry on paper from an Eccolo World Traveler notebook. On paper with great gain, like standard 3x5 cards, the ink was dry in 10 seconds.

Because I am left handed, I have to take extreme care when writing with the OHTO ink. I tried to write three checks with this pen- Just say no to that! I'm going to try the different cartridges and see how it goes.

I did not have to adjust the nib, like other writers have.

I like the feel of the pen, which is very light. Weight is balanced towards the nib, slightly but not obtrusively. The compact nature of the pen is great for carrying in a jeans pocket.

For the price this pen is a gem, but definitely don't use OHTO ink.

quickdraw

Thanks for the words on the Ohto ink, though I am inclined to believe the skipping has more to do with the pen/nib than the ink. I have an Ohto Tasche, and the design is neat, but I don't bother with the pen anymore since it is just too frustrating because it skips. I've had the nib out many times and adjusted flow, but it ultimately doesn't help. I swapped nibs from my Tasche and Ohto Spirit, and that helped the Tasche a bit, but the Spirit skips now. Perhaps it is the feed design. If I remember correctly the ink is carried in a circuitous route.

Best to you

Andrew

It takes small international cartridges. If you can find a convertor that size--

Mini converters that are the same size as international cartridges are available here. They don't hold a huge amount of ink but they do fit.

(I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer)

• 9 months later...

I have had an Ohto Tasche for about ten years now (I live in Seoul and found it in a stationery shop) I bought it because I had never seen a pocket fountain pen before. I really like the pen, but one small problem I've had is that the O-ring on the back of the barrel gets stiff over time, making it impossible to post the cap without rubbing oil or silicon grease on the O-ring occasionally.

As for converters, if it takes international cartridges, it might take the Kaweco sport converter cartridge. Has anyone tried that?

I have had an Ohto Tasche for about ten years now (I live in Seoul and found it in a stationery shop) I bought it because I had never seen a pocket fountain pen before. I really like the pen, but one small problem I've had is that the O-ring on the back of the barrel gets stiff over time, making it impossible to post the cap without rubbing oil or silicon grease on the O-ring occasionally.

As for converters, if it takes international cartridges, it might take the Kaweco sport converter cartridge. Has anyone tried that?

In my experience, it sits too deeply in the grip section to make it useable. I don't know if anyone has tried it since though.

Dillon

Dillon