The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

OHTO TASCHE

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Frankster

Frankster

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 16:51

This is my first attempt at providing a written review on the Ohto Tasche fountain pen. This is a full sized fountain pen when open. This slim pen is claimed to be one of the top ten fountain pens in Japan, ranked even above the Montblanc 146, Pelican M600 and the Rotring 600. Amazing, since this sleek Japanese fountain pen is only a fraction of the price ($20.00 US). The pen has an ingenious design that allows the pen to be carried as a small compact pen when closed, but use m long when closed, 10 cm long when used by itself, and 14.7 cm when used with the cap on.

Posted Image

Japenese pen nibs ususally run fine, however, the Tasche nib writies in an an American/German medium nib size and nicely places ink down on the paper. I've also heard that the nib on the Tasche is manufactured in Germany. The pen writes buttery smooth and accepts international sized ink cartridges. The colors available are Black, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

Posted Image

For an inexpensive fountain pen, that writes buttery smooth and can easily be carried in the pocket, the Ohto Tasche is hard to beat.

Edited by Frankster, 26 December 2005 - 18:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 davyr

davyr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 16:59

thanks frankster for the interesting writeup on a cool pen i've never seen or heard of before.
"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

#3 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 17:06

Thanks too. I never heard of that pen either! :bunny1:
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#4 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 17:43

Thanks for the interesting review of this pocket pen that expands to full-size when posted. I too had not heard of it.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#5 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2005 - 20:21

Interesting Review. An Asian pen with a wider nib. I'm interested!

Where did you find them for sale?

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#6 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 20:53

Hi,

If it is pencil thin, then sure!! If it is 2 MM thicker than a pencil, then, um, uh, no thanks...

Nice, a Japanese pocket pen!!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#7 Frankster

Frankster

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:01

I purchased mine at Jetpens.com.

#8 emrecan

emrecan

Pleasure in writing.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:19

Hi Frankster,
Interesting pen and cool looking one.Your handwriting looks good too.Thanks for the informating about this pen.

Take Care
Emrecan
Greetings from İstanbul
the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

#9 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 21:05

Do you post on the jetpens forum too? I recognize your picture :) So you found yourself over here...welcome aboard!

I have a Tasche too...Dillon, it's almost pencil thin, so it might be your cup of tea except the point isn't fine.
Posted Image

#10 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:35

Hi,

Yes!!! I want one NOW! :lol:

Any pen MUST be pencil-thin for me to use it, or else, I will have to put it down a lot or can't use it at all.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#11 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:28

Thanks a lot for posting this review, Frankster! I had not heard of this brand before. The Tasche reminds me of a Pilot Elite pen, the kind with a long cap...
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#12 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 13:49

Thanks a lot for posting this review, Frankster! I had not heard of this brand before. The Tasche reminds me of a Pilot Elite pen, the kind with a long cap...

their site www.ohto.co.jp

OHTO has many other neat/cute looking things that I like :) :) :)

I'm not an exclusive FP lover, so cute gel pens & pencils gets my credit card in trouble as well :(
Posted Image

#13 BinomialSpider

BinomialSpider

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 21:36

FYI, the Ohto Tasche nib says "Iridium Point Germany," not that that tells much!

#14 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 22:01

FYI, the Ohto Tasche nib says "Iridium Point Germany," not that that tells much!

That explains why this pen's line is so thick. It seemed weird that a Japanese nib would be so thick.
Posted Image

#15 Goodwhiskers

Goodwhiskers

Certified language nut

• Member - Gold

• 2,124 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:12

Is it cartridge-only, or can a converter fit in it? I visited www.jetpens.com and saw that they don't sell bottled ink at all.

#16 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:11

Hi,

I do make a permanent filling system for it, but you must be willing to make it bottle-fill only.

Dillon

Dillon

#17 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 17:17

Is it cartridge-only, or can a converter fit in it? I visited www.jetpens.com and saw that they don't sell bottled ink at all.

I think this pen is cartridge only. It's too short to be able to take a converter :(

I heard that the OHTO cartridge ink sucks though because the ink skips. I haven't even tried the cartridge yet. I've been using this as a dip pen so far.
Posted Image

#18 roisnoir

roisnoir

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 20:07

I suppose you could find some way to make a half-sized converter, but there's just enough room in there for a cartridge. (Though on mine, the cart wouldn't stay seated on the thingie (such a technical term!), so I put a small wad of paper in the very end to force it to stay in place.

I'm less then enthralled with this pen, though it's a very clever design.
I find to be oddly weighted, and the nib is merely functional - if I get unlazy, I'll find my smoothing stuff and see if I can't make it better.

#19 Betty

Betty

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 20:24

I'm less then enthralled with this pen, though it's a very clever design.
I find to be oddly weighted, and the nib is merely functional - if I get unlazy, I'll find my smoothing stuff and see if I can't make it better.

Similar thoughts with you. The more I learn about fountain pens, the more I think this pen was made just for the heck of coming out with a fountain pen model, pretty sad, but oh the cuteness gets me.
Posted Image

#20 BinomialSpider

BinomialSpider

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:47

It takes small international cartridges. If you can find a convertor that size--

Sponsored Content

|