Stipula Vedo Amethyst Violet

Taki

Stipula Vedo Amethyst Violet

What are some of the features FPNers want in a pen? A piston-filling mechanism, and silver/rhodium finish on furniture are among some of them, from what I read. Add beautiful pearly resin and smooth screw-out nib, and you get Stipula Vedo. Vedo is the 'economy' line of Stipula, and it comes in several different colors including Ruby Red, Topaz, Amethyst Violet, and Turquoise. It is available around $100 in the U.S. online according to a quick google search. I was lucky enough to get a practically new piston-filling Amethyst Violet one from a fellow FPNer at a very good price. (Note: there are C/C Stipula Vedos, too at a similar price. C/C filling version has a smaller ink-view window.)

First Impression: 5/5

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0731-1.jpg

The material is absolutely gorgeous. I've read some comments that the resin looks cheap, but I disagree. When light hits the barrel, the color looks lighter and it simmers. My photos do not do justice :( I have my pen filled up so it's not really visible in my photos, but the ink-view window has a frosted finish inside, and "Stipula Made in Italy" engraved outside. Another nice touch.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0733.jpg

I was thinking this pen was a relatively large pen before I received it, but it is not. The length is slightly longer than Pelikan M400 capped (13 cm), almost identical length uncapped (12 cm). The section diameter is slightly larger than M400. It is very comfortable size to use for me.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0738-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0736-1.jpg

Nib:5/5

The highly-polished, silver-tone steel F nib writes very smoothly. I used to have an 18K gold EF nib Stipula, and this one feels stiffer. However it does not affects the smoothness of the nib, and I actually prefer F width over EF (just my general preference). It screws out just like Pelikan nibs, but I could not find online sellers that carry spear nib for it. However, it certainly exceeded my expectation. Very nice!

Here's a photo of the nib next to a M250 nib I have on my White Tortoise...I should have wiped up the nibs first!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0739.jpg

Filling mechanism: 5/5

What more can you ask? It's a piston filler. It is interesting that the blind cap does not move length-wise when moving the piston. To propel the piston toward the nib, the blind cap is turned to the right (clockwise). This is the opposite from Pelikan. Of course it holds a lot of ink, and I'm very happy. While I really don't mind C/C fill pens, it is nice to have a piston filling system. As I mentioned at the biggining, Vedo is also available in C/C filling system. There are some nice colors (Onyx and Pink) in C/C version, but if I have a choice I probably would pick a piston filler.

Overall: 5/5

I have to admit this was an impulse buy. But I'm glad I bought this pen. It's an entry level Italian pen, but don't underestimate it. With it's Italian beauty and piston filling system, I think this pen is well worth the money. If someone is thinking about getting a piston-filling pen around or under $100, I would strongly recommend looking into Vedo.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0732-1.jpg

Edited by Taki

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• I am not a number

• Deirdre

• Sazerac

I totally agree with Taki's high marks, I have the same pen but with a 1.1mm Italic nib and am delighted with it. The amount of ink the reservoir holds is really impressive and I find it a very comfortable, dependable everyday writer that deserves a closer look. I think it is of a higher quality than many pens costing much more and I would recommend it.

This is a very good review. Thanks, Taki.

I know nothing about the "Vedo," though I have seen a number of ads for them. I feel I know a lot more now. I like Stipula pens in general and this one seems quite nice. Pel M-400/Vedo sized pens are a tad small for me these (middle aged) days, but I still use them. I will have to give one of these pens some serious thought.

The highly-polished, silver-tone steel F nib writes very smoothly. I used to have an 18K gold EF nib Stipula, and this one feels stiffer. However it does not affects the smoothness of the nib, and I actually prefer F width over EF (just my general preference). It screws out just like Pelikan nibs, but I could not find online sellers that carry spear nib for it. However, it certainly exceeded my expectation. Very nice!

Nibs are available at PenEmporium.

Taki, your excellent review reminded me how nice the low end Stipulas can be. They also offer the College at the same price point for those who want a more traditional design in a Stipula.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Thank you for your kind words, Pat, Frank, and Margana.

Margana, thanks for the link to Pen Emporium, steel nibs are only 5 euros?? That sounds VERY reasonable :ninja: :D Even better!

College looks like Levenger Verona, I was wondering if Amethyst is the same material they used for Levenger one.

Very nice. Nice review and nice-looking pen. Looks like it wouldn't be too big for me and piston-fillers are always good things. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thank you for your kind words, Pat, Frank, and Margana.

Margana, thanks for the link to Pen Emporium, steel nibs are only 5 euros?? That sounds VERY reasonable :ninja: :D Even better!

College looks like Levenger Verona, I was wondering if Amethyst is the same material they used for Levenger one.

My Levengers are all True Writers so I can't comment on the amethyst. However, the College "Sahara Sand" would look awful pretty with Diamine Sepia, not that I need another pen mind you. :rolleyes:

http://www.penemporium.com/_upload/708307_1.jpg

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/images/items/1251.gif

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Taki,

I have the same pen with F nib. I like your review very much, especially the way you describe how pretty the purple resin is. Your photos are excellent, but, like what you said, the purple looks much better from the photos. If I want to be real picky, I would say the pen would be close to perfection if it has a longer length and a smaller transparent window to show more purple. The Vedo F nib writes much better than my M400 EF nib, in my opinion.

This is my favorite purple pen.

purpledog

P.S. The 5-Euro nibs form Pen Emporium are out of stock. :(

Edited by purpledog

Great review Taki, thanks! Does it come in other colours than purple, red and turquoise?

I believe there is also yellow, with a bit of green.

purpledog

Nice review Taki! I recently acquired a Conklin Word Gauge re-issue that I understand is a Vedo with the word gauge and a Conklin nib, clip and cap band. I absolutely LOVE the pen and have been tempted to pick up a Stipula to compliment it. I like that the ink window is so large. To me, it is the character of the pen. It's inspired me to start looking for an original 7m Nozac. Anybody have one they are prepared to part with?!

Thanks for comments, all!

Mario, do you have photos of the Word Gauge? I googled but not sure which one is the model that is modified Vedo :)

Great review Taki, thanks! Does it come in other colours than purple, red and turquoise?

Different stores seem to sell different colours - depending on where you look there's also yellow and black. (Pale colours seem a bad idea for a pen with a huge ink window like these have; when full, the ink window looks near-black regardless of the colour of the ink you fill it with.)

I just bought one (mine's amethyst too) on a rather reckless whim despite having disappointing experiences with Stipula nibs in several of their more expensive pens. Perhaps I was unlucky with them, or lucky with this one, but my new Vedo is just marvelous - it's hard to imagine how a firm, fine (not all that fine, I'm relieved to see), standard round-tipped nib could be improved. It's smooth, fairly wet and, unlike the gold and titanium Stipula nibs I've tried, doesn't skip on initial downstrokes (or anywhere else). Its size is useful (fits well in shirt pockets and, unlike too many modern pens, is pleasantly light) and I find it very comfortable to hold. I'm rather tempted to buy another (or at least another nib) too see how the italic nibs write....

Simon

What ink do you have in there?

When I took the photos I had it filled with a mixture of PR Tanzanite and Noodler's Glacier Blue. Then I flushed it out yesterday to try new Pilot Ajisai ink :)

Great review! I bought one of these last year and it's been in my rotation ever since. Lovely, smooth writer, just right in the hand... :cloud9:

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Thanks for the review. Does anybody know if the regular (rather large-sized) Stipula nibs -- like from a Ventidue or a Duetto -- would fit in the Vedo? My hunch is that the Vedo nib and screw in unit are smaller. So one could not use a nib from say a Ventidue in the Vedo.

Thanks for any information.

Edited by Sazerac