Pilot Decimo White

lingyuki

Pictures first:

post-8691-1209130009_thumb.jpg

I don't know why the above picture is yellow tinted. But the pen is still white as...clouds and fluffy pillows.

Basic specs:

This pen is a cartridge/converter filler. It uses Pilot's cartridges and can take either CON20 or CON50 converters from Pilot. The pen body is made of a lighter metal than the Capless/Vanishing Point and the white section has a glossy, durable coating over it. Nib is removable and made of rhodium-plated 18kt gold.

Cost:

I purchased this from the Ujuku Pen Shop ( http://ujuku.ath.cx/ujuku-shop/kaimono/pentop3.htm ) for a total of about $140. $12 of that was for VERY QUICK shipping. It was a fantastic transaction.

My opinion:

I bought this pen for myself as a replacement for my Orange VP (sold) and as an award for getting into college. I'm really, really happy with this purchase and don't regret it at all. This pen has acclimated to my hand. I've twirled it, written with it, polished it, filled it, babied it...it's really become "my pen". I'm looking forward to grinding out my college notes and papers with it and enjoying every minute with it.

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• excarnate

• Sonnet

• Nikolaos

• Immoteus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pen, although I would have like to see a shot of the nib. Why is it call "Capless"?

A "Capless" pen (Japanese local market) is the same pen as the "Vanishing Point" (Japanese export market). There's no cap--the nib pushes down a small trap door inside the nib end of the pen and extends out through the slot, clicking into place. When you're done writing, you press the rear button and the nib retracts back inside. So, it's an easy one handed operation. :)

Search for either name in the Reviews section and you'll turn up a few that show the nib.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I don't know why the above picture is yellow tinted.

Your camera's auto white balance didn't get it right.

I've corrected it trying to still show some sheen. I don't have time to really get it right but this is better:

White_balanced_Decimo.jpg

A very pretty pen. My wife has one and the shimmery white had me looking at the chrome Vanishing Point (the Décimo doesn't fit my hand right) which just doesn't match this. Too bad her birthday isn't for awhile, I want to get her a Richard Binder XXXF nib (although it would be gold instead of silver it doesn't matter as she is using Legal Lapis and it creeps on the nib anyway).

I'll see if I get get nib pictures later tonight.

Mmmm! Very nice pen! I've only seen photos of the white Decimo, never in the metal - is the finish pearlescent?

Bernie.

I'll see if I get get nib pictures later tonight.

I wish I had gone looking then, I found some shots of the nib that are very well done. Note the Raden if you want to see a gold nib with a rhodium finish:

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pilot_Cap...untain_Pen.html

A Décimo nib shot and a Vanishing Point gold nib with rhodium finish nib shot.

And another nice review.

Congratulations for getting into college Grace. I hope the pen brings you endless hours of problem-free writing.

By the way Jade is really enjoying your ex-Orange LE. The downside of this is that it is constantly in her purse and i haven't had a chance to spend time with it :roflmho:

Nikolaos

Congrats and good luck with college! The Vanishing Points (or "Capless" pens) are so pretty and well-made. I have a regular Pilot Capless (blue with silver trim) but it'd be nice if Namiki-Pilot would allow US distribution of the Decimo line too.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

What are the differences between the Decimo and the VP?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

What are the differences between the Decimo and the VP?

The Decimo is made from aluminium and is lighter and a little slimmer than the standard VP. I think that the clip has a slightly lower profile too.

• 2 years later...

I really like the looks of your Decimo. I've been eyeing the grey model for some time, but just can't get myself to shell out the cash for it... One of my concerns with this pen is that it seems to have many "moving parts," and this equates in my neurotic brain to "easily broken" but that may be a bunch of hogwash. How has it held up for you?

I really like the looks of your Decimo. I've been eyeing the grey model for some time, but just can't get myself to shell out the cash for it... One of my concerns with this pen is that it seems to have many "moving parts," and this equates in my neurotic brain to "easily broken" but that may be a bunch of hogwash. How has it held up for you?

Its basically the smaller sibling to the Vanishing Point (VP) and Fermo, I have several and for years now one is with me daily. They are real work horses.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888