Are the Moleskine's worth the price?

DeaconKC

.....so I don't like to waste money. But I do believe in you get what you pay fro. I was looking at some Moleskines last night and just wondered if they really are worth the extra dollars for my carry around notes? If the quality and durability are really there or is this just a snob appeal for the name ? Thanks for your input.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• DeaconKC

• burritosdaily

• dbwooley

.....so I don't like to waste money. But I do believe in you get what you pay fro. I was looking at some Moleskines last night and just wondered if they really are worth the extra dollars for my carry around notes? If the quality and durability are really there or is this just a snob appeal for the name ? Thanks for your input.

The paper quality is variable - I have stopped buying them because the paper gets worse each time. If you use fountain pen, beware! Other than paper quality the books are great, but expensive.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've wrestled with same questions for a while now. Being a student, budgets are limited, and conspicuous consumption a social no-no ( and I already catch enough flack for my fountain pens). Despite this they've become an integrated part of my life. I have three basic uses:

I carry the smallest size cahier (7.95 for a pack of 3) everywhere. These are made with the same paper as regular moleskins, but have a solid cardboard cover. Probably go through one every 2-3 weeks. Used for quick notes, thoughts, contacts, to test my pen...

I use the next size up (10.95 for a pack of 3) of the cahiers for lecture notes. One of these will typically get me through 4-5 weeks...so again, 11 dollars every 12 weeks? Just drink one less beer every few nights.

My final moleskine is a journal that was given to me. If you are only using the Moleskine as a journal I think you can do better for about the same price. As everyone will mention their paper quality can be variable. If you're into large, wet nibs, probably not your best choice.

That said, I've found nothing else easily available which emulate the cahiers. They have sewed bindings and quite durable construction. Over weeks they stay looking great and their variety of sizes is a plus. They also have a small pocket in the back for storing lit bits of accumulated stuff along the way. At times I don't like the association people might make with my constant use of moleskines (as snobbish etc etc), yet I can't find anything to match their function that can be had locally.

I would love to hear if anyone knows of a cahier-replacement which has better quality paper....

If you are worried about the quality of paper, i'd recommend picking up the cahiers first; as you can always give the other two away as small tokens to non-FP people.

G'luck and let us know what you decide.

I will second inkypete's comment.

over the past 3 or 4 years, Ihave purchased at least 6 Moleskine notebooks, of which only one worked well with fountain pens. The paper was so bad ina couple that I couldnt even use a Pilot G2 gel pen on them.

I have had better luck with notebooks from a manufacturer named "Black and Red". Staples carries them.

My first Moleskine will be my last, shame really. I´ve already switched to Clairefontaine and am eagerly awaiting the Rhodia webnotebooks...

http://usera.imagecave.com/vhild/IMG_1647.jpg

Field notes: http://fieldnotesbrand.com/

Apica: http://stores.ebay.com/Take-Note-Writing-Gear - CD-15 or 6A10 would be good for class notes.

Thanks for the tip. The Field note ones look nice...although wish the came in an non-lined version. Have you tested them with a fountain pen?

I've heard about Apica but they very few sheets per book, then there is the problem finding them....

.....so I don't like to waste money. But I do believe in you get what you pay fro.

Not necessarily! There are a lot of Moleskine threads here - in fact, that's what brought me to FPN in the first place, a search for info about inks that would work in a Moleskine. The only consensus about them is that they're highly variable and people's experiences with them are all over the place.

I only started using moleskines recently, avoiding them because of the snob appeal (why would I want to emulate Hemingway??).

That said, having tried them after a couple of decades of using other notebooks including the highly touted Clairefontaine, my bottom line is that the small notebooks might be worth it to me for the durability and portability, but I'm pretty much ready to ditch the larger ones I've used for my regular diary.

It completely depends on your purpose and priorities - you'll note that for many people, paper quality is a priority. It's only second (or third) on the list for me - having wrecked many notebooks, getting frustrated with spiral bindings, books that don't lay flat, and open up in my bag, I really really like the neat, durable design of the small notebooks. It has worked better for me than any other notebook I have carried. However, I don't really need those same qualities for my home journal. I might try one of the Exaclair journals next, and I am greatly looking forward to the moleskine/Rhodia combination that's supposed to be out (if it makes it to NA).

Edited by limesally

While I much prefer Rhodia and Clairfontaine paper, Moleskines are just practical for compact, mobile writing, especially when travelling. Also, you can buy them just about anywhere in the world, in case you run out of them. I like the hard-back pocket version with squared paper. When travelling, I protect the notebook with a Gfeller cover. The size is ideal, fitting neatly into a jacket pocket or a field bag. As for the paper, I've experienced some feathering but never bleed-through, although I always make sure to use a finer point pen, such as a Pelikan Steno or any Japanese "medium" nib, and not thicker nibs like my otherwise perfect Aurora 88. Pencils also work great on Moleskine paper. For me, the Moleskine is a practical tool. I fill up every page of every one I purchase, even the inside endpapers. A Moleskine is only snobbish if it is purchased as a mere fashion accessory, or to belong to some sort of "scene." I make mine work for every cent! We all have complaints about Moleskines but would be devastated if they stopped being produced. To date, I have not found a true alternative to them. And I do think that the advent of Moleskines has done much to foster writing culture and thus also a return to fountain pens and pencils.

Apica: http://stores.ebay.com/Take-Note-Writing-Gear - CD-15 or 6A10 would be good for class notes.

Thanks for the tip. The Field note ones look nice...although wish the came in an non-lined version. Have you tested them with a fountain pen?

I've heard about Apica but they very few sheets per book, then there is the problem finding them....

I haven't tested the Field Notes, but a number of people here have and claimed the paper handles FPs quite well. The Apica 6A10 is 100 pages and good enough paper to write on both sides. The ebay seller I linked to (usual disclaimer) is very good. A number of people here, myself included, have ordered Apica notebooks from her and been very pleased.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

You can do better than Moleskine and for a lot less money. Make your own notebooks if you must have an envelope in the back and an elastic closure. You can make the cover and envelope from a piece of leather or Naugahide. Once that is made, you can make a refill for it in a matter of minutes. A few stitches attach a new signature to the cover. A few stitches (or only one) keep the old signature together for later reference. You can make notebooks the size you want and use the best paper, all for the price of the paper and a few minutes work with a paper cutter and some dental floss and an upholstery needle.

I bought a couple of Moleskine journals, just to see what all the ruckus was about here on FPN. Apparently, I got a couple of the good ones: no bleeding or feathering. If their paper quality is variable, and the price gives me the lockjaw, they are history around my digs. The cahiers are too skinny, too tall, and too thin for my use. I can do WAY better than that.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I've been happier with the Readables Naturals from Books-a-Million as well as the Barnes and Noble clones. The Readables come in compact and A5 sizes in tasteful colors but unfortunately the paper is similar to the Moleskines. The B&N versions have nice white paper but no pockets nor are they available in the A5 size. All are about half the price of the equivalent 'Skines.

Bill

If you are in the US, a replacement for the regular Moleskine is Markings, by C.R. Gibson. Available notably at Target. Real leather covers (unless that's a disadvantage), small size, A5 size (with thin lines!!). Several of us really like these.

I do have a Moleskin pocket sized with a grid that has decent paper and I do like it, but when it's gone I'm getting the Markings. My larger size is Markings and I like it quite a bit.

I still like the Mole Cahiers but there are other notebooks with better paper, just not quite as durable covers. I am experimenting with other options for the "personal" stuff though I have one craft finish XL Cahier left to use.

But for my work notes, I am positively addicted to the ruled 240 page Large Reporter's Notebook. This is a unique product as far as I know and I love the vertical flip combined with the snap string and the back pocket. I use one up at work in 9-12 months so the cost is quite reasonable, annualized. Far better paper than the normal reporter notebook or steno notepad. A bit of bleed through with FPs, but not too bad.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I haven't tested the Field Notes, but a number of people here have and claimed the paper handles FPs quite well. The Apica 6A10 is 100 pages and good enough paper to write on both sides. The ebay seller I linked to (usual disclaimer) is very good. A number of people here, myself included, have ordered Apica notebooks from her and been very pleased.

I want to second the Apica 6A10 from Take Note Writing Gear. I was a moleskine user - faithfully. When I began using FPs I had to make a change. I bought a few of these Apicas. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan for the first day or so... but after a bit I really began enjoying them. They work great with the FPs and this 100 page note book is a good size. I had a great experience ordering from Take Note Writing Gear over ebay. These are also incredibly cheaper than the moleskine.

ignorant rookie looking to find his way in the FP world...

Thanks for all the input!

RATS, the ebay store only does Paypal! I don't do Paypal..........

GRRRRRRRRRR.........

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for all the input!

RATS, the ebay store only does Paypal! I don't do Paypal..........

GRRRRRRRRRR.........

I am pretty sure you can use a credit card through paypal through most ebay sellers. I know I have done it before but I can't remember if I did it with this purchase. You just click to buy and go through the dialogue and at the end you will have a choice to use your paypal account or enter cc information - but it is brokered through paypal.

I want to second the Apica 6A10 from Take Note Writing Gear. I was a moleskine user - faithfully. When I began using FPs I had to make a change. I bought a few of these Apicas. To be honest, I wasn't a big fan for the first day or so... but after a bit I really began enjoying them. They work great with the FPs and this 100 page note book is a good size. I had a great experience ordering from Take Note Writing Gear over ebay. These are also incredibly cheaper than the moleskine.

I wonder if there is a leather or leatherette cover made for Apicas. The only drawback of these notebooks is that they are not harcovered, which means that they do not survive rugged travel very well. At Kinokuniya, I saw covers for other Japanese notebooks, but not the standard Apica.

My friend... you and I are on the same road.... I have the very same concerns. I took my moleskines everywhere and used them for everything. Their durability was a huge plus for me...

I am not sure if you have seen the thread but there is a guy who had a leather cover made for his apicas and he did a review. here is the link - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=59567

I have ordered the same cover but I still have some questions about how it will work. The cover solves many of my problems but the moleskine is so portable and I worry about the Apica with this cover being real bulky. I will soon find out though. The good thing is the cover will last a life time... so, you can replace the apicas at $6 and put them in this cover which is top notch leather and can withstand a beating.

Moleskines aren't that great except for one thing. They look absolutely BADASS. My one Moleskine journal that i filled looks so much more significant than my other motley journal collection, so much more weighty- as if I had something important to say.