Pelikan Level 5

theshainun

Hello,

This is my first fp review, and I hope it answers some questions about the Level 5. If not, feel free to ask.

I purchased my Level 5 in Malaysia in July, for approx. £54 ($93). It is the ceramics version (rhodium plated 14k gold nib) you can buy a standard (stainless steel nib), silver (rhodium plated 14k gold nib), or the gold (14k gold nib) versions. The difference is the cap, clip and filler sections. It has an expensive feel to it, the cap shuts with a deftly ‘thuck’. However, you can see the seam line on the purple section of the body. The body of the pen remains translucent purple. The box is shown below:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84476.jpg

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84475.jpg

The Level 5’s selling feature is not the nib, but the innovative filling system and the massive ink tank. On some of the photos, you can see the air bubble. Apparently (I have not tested it) it can hold up to 7 standard ink cartridges, and it I have never run it dry. The filling system is like a piston filler, but with a twist. Designed for people with little time or patience with wiping nibs etc it is simple and easy. All you need to do is plug the pen in the filler, and squeeze the bottom. Ink flows into the main chamber, and by twisting the valve, it falls down into the smaller chamber. Then you are ready to write. No mess, no ink anywhere.

The filling valve:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84474.jpg

The air bubble:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84473.jpg

It comes with a desk stand, in which you can fit an ink pot. It can be filled either from the stand or directly from the pot-the nozzle is on the pot:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84472.jpg

I find that it is a fairly heavy pen, but the weight does not tire you. I would recommend a medium nib, the fine is almost an extra fine, writing upside down gives an extra extra fine line. I think it might be the nib, but it is a dry writer, especially compared to my Sonnet or Lamy 2000.

Pros:

Large ink tank, gold nib, ceramic cap

Cons:

A bit dry(might be the nib), cap does not post (I don’t know why, but it just doesn’t fit by like 2 mm), cannot wash it out, the only way is to run it dry, then wash the nib, then fill it up.

Overall, it is a good pen, and I like using it, for school, and in an exam hall, it is a perfect spare, you know there will be ink left. This is because of the massive ink tank and the fact it’s a dry writer.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84471.jpg

Shaun

Shaun

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theshainun

• Dillo

• saintsimon

• AndyHayes

Thanks for the review. Interesting design for a filling system.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Shaun,

The pen looks great,filling system is a little hard and messy,and finally dry writing pens not for me :mellow: I think all the Pelikan except M series are dry writers.

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

Hi,

I did like the Level system, but I never made a mess with it and wrote it dry in a week...

Well, my Parker 51 Vacumatic should last half a week, but this is better--one whole week!!

Cleaning is accomplished by disassembling the pen by pressing the dots with q-tips and pulling the knob out--over the sink of course, then pouring water into the resevoir, rinsing out the filler mechanism and such and such.

It was simpler to clean than my M200 because I have to use a syringe to flush the M200 nib unit--the hole in the back--a bulb flusher to clear the ink channels, a vacuum to clean out the grip section, and so forth. <_<

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

I have the Level L65 (What you call the Level 1), but am going to get an L5. I can of course, tweak the flow for you to make it wetter, but my Level was wet out of the box.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

a great first review, shaun! are there at least five different types of level pens, 1-5? can anyone weigh in on whether the pen is postable or not?

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Hi,

Actually there were only two, the L5 and L65 (aka. Level 1).

I might want to buy an L5 soon.

Dillon

Dillon

All the Level 5's in the shop couldn't post, but the level 1 can. I've got a pic on the pictures side the link is below:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=6088

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Thank you very much for the great review and super photos! Much appreciated. :)

Just one question for you now: how does the weight of your Level 5 compare to the weight of your Level 1?

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Both of the Pens had ink inside, which, as the whole body is ink makes a differnence. There is no way of emptying the ink quickly.

Level 1-20g

Level 5-30g(although it feels much better built, the pen feels less plasticky.

The Level 5 is the ceramic version, so I think it's slightly heavier than the standard version.

Shaun

P.S. In the Harrods sale, they have the Gold Level 5 from £97 to £54(approx, might be £57....(+ less 10% if you have a Harrods Card)

Shaun

Hi,

My supplier told me that the plain steel model goes for £54 or something like that. Looks like you got a great deal.

Dillon

Dillon

• 1 year later...

HELLO. thanks for reviewing. I purchased my level 5 (silver verion 14c M nib) last month in China for approx. $ 70. But I feel the M nib is too wider for me. (Before I get this pen I always use SAILOR F nib.) LEVEL 5 FILLING SYSTEM IS GREAT !

i have one of these, and while the filling system drove me nuts (despite reading all the instructions), it is a very handsome pen, and writes very well when it chooses to ;)

Check out my blog and my pens

I am seeing these a lot on ebay. Intrigued, but leary. How do you fill with other inks if the bottle doesn't fit in their stand?

The Pelikan Level ink bottle (with that valve in the cap) can be refilled with anything. The cap is screwed on very tightly, but with a tool and some force you can unscrew it. Afterwards it will be simple srewing on and off to open or close it.

You don't need the stand to fill the pen. You just have to press the bottle onto the barrel end and pump in ink by pressing the flat side of the bottle.

I have Noodler's Tahitian Pearl in my Level bottle.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (theshainun @ Dec 23 2005, 07:45 AM)
Hello,

This is my first fp review, and I hope it answers some questions about the Level 5. If not, feel free to ask.

I purchased my Level 5 in Malaysia in July, for approx. £54 ($93). It is the ceramics version (rhodium plated 14k gold nib) you can buy a standard (stainless steel nib), silver (rhodium plated 14k gold nib), or the gold (14k gold nib) versions. The difference is the cap, clip and filler sections. It has an expensive feel to it, the cap shuts with a deftly ‘thuck’. However, you can see the seam line on the purple section of the body. The body of the pen remains translucent purple. The box is shown below:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84476.jpg

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84475.jpg

The Level 5’s selling feature is not the nib, but the innovative filling system and the massive ink tank. On some of the photos, you can see the air bubble. Apparently (I have not tested it) it can hold up to 7 standard ink cartridges, and it I have never run it dry. The filling system is like a piston filler, but with a twist. Designed for people with little time or patience with wiping nibs etc it is simple and easy. All you need to do is plug the pen in the filler, and squeeze the bottom. Ink flows into the main chamber, and by twisting the valve, it falls down into the smaller chamber. Then you are ready to write. No mess, no ink anywhere.
The filling valve:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84474.jpg

The air bubble:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84473.jpg

It comes with a desk stand, in which you can fit an ink pot. It can be filled either from the stand or directly from the pot-the nozzle is on the pot:

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84472.jpg

I find that it is a fairly heavy pen, but the weight does not tire you. I would recommend a medium nib, the fine is almost an extra fine, writing upside down gives an extra extra fine line. I think it might be the nib, but it is a dry writer, especially compared to my Sonnet or Lamy 2000.

Pros:
Large ink tank, gold nib, ceramic cap

Cons:
A bit dry(might be the nib), cap does not post (I don’t know why, but it just doesn’t fit by like 2 mm), cannot wash it out, the only way is to run it dry, then wash the nib, then fill it up.

Overall, it is a good pen, and I like using it, for school, and in an exam hall, it is a perfect spare, you know there will be ink left. This is because of the massive ink tank and the fact it’s a dry writer.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/84471.jpg

Shaun

Great Review!

Do you know if the level 5 is available with a bold nib?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?