The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Herald - Custom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jlepens

jlepens

Humble Calligraphy Student

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:30

Attached File  Edison_herald1.bmp   900.05KB   452 downloads

Attached File  Edison_herald2.bmp   900.05KB   260 downloads

This is my first pen review. Having heard much discussion of Brain Gray’s wonderful pens, I entered into discussion with him on a Herald custom for me.

Appearance, Design & Finish. The pen is a Herald in red-black ebonite. It is clipless, giving the pen a smooth Zen-like look. It has two grooves on both the cap and barrel, which are on either end and are colored red. The grooves accent the red in the ebonite and draw the eye to the smooth line.

The body is polished to perfection drawing the eye inwards.

The section is also red-black ebonite, again drawing the eye along smoothly.

Nib Design & Performance. The nib is a two-tone Taccia broad which flows smoothly and gives the pen elegance when the cap is off.

Filling System. I use cartridges which I refill via syringe so the system works for me. The pen has had no problem with a number of different inks I have tried. I have not used the converter.

Cost/Value. Considering the custom work on this pen and the speed of its delivery, I would consider the price to be amazing. This pen cost me $245 delivered and looks like it could have been double.

My Herald has become an everyday carry alongside my Danitrio urushi and Pilot Custom 823. In common, all of them have that special Zenlike quality of workmanship and art, that I demand.

I am using Brian’s pictures as I have not had time to photograph the pen. I can’t stop writing with it.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Junkuar

Junkuar

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:40

Nice review of a beautiful pen. I'm pretty much a noobie, but haven't heard of Brian Gray. Is he a strictly custom pen maker, and where did you find him. I'd like to check out his stuff.

Brenton

#3 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2008 - 23:49

Brians' website is edisonpen.com

I've had a great experience with his pens as well.

#4 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:33

They now run a webcam which can be interesting. It was announced in the FPN Marketplace. You can watch pens being made:

http://www.fountainp...showtopic=58701

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:24

interesting pen, thanks for the review.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 19:54

Edison pens are really beautiful, and the users report very good writing experiences. Unfortunatedly for me the are out of my league, but, hey, one can dream.....

Sponsored Content

|