Removing Noodler's Baystate Blue from clothing; a solution!

Promethean

Today I made the mistake of including my fountain pen in a dryer, and Noodler's Baystate Blue ink was smeared all over my favorite 100% white and blue cotton dress shirts.

While I wailed and bemoaned my idiocy in making this mistake, my wife was much more clear-headed about it and found a way to remove the stains.

I LOVE this ink, and was I relieved to hear that it was possible for us to remove it from clothing.

Please note that I do not have a vested interest in the products used; it's just what we had on-hand.

She sprayed the affected areas with "Sebastian Shaper" hair spray and let set for 10 minutes.

Then it was followed by "Oxi-Clean" cleaner, and let set for 10 minutes.

The shirts were then washed cold for the longest time possible.

The 4th time through, the stains had been removed with no indication that there had been a problem.

These were surface smears rather than saturated spots; it is my hope that if anyone finds themselves with this unfortunate issue, we've been helpful.

Thanks from a first-time poster!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Romeo Dog

• HesNot

• Promethean

• lao_tzu_too

Welcome to FPN and thanks for the good info!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to FPN, Promethean and thanks for the tip. I've just started using Baystate Blue, but I have little doubt that it will end up on my shirt eventually!

So far, Baystate Blue is the only ink that won't come off my paws using Ink-Nix. It also badly clogged two pens. One I was able to get back in writing condition by soaking the nib and section for two days in soapy water. The other clogged pen I'm still working on.

So, I poured the evil solution down the drain. It stained the steel sink. So I had to run out to get Bartender's Helper. I usually save empty bottles. Instead I buried the bottle and covered the ground with garlic. But somehow I don't think this is over.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

So, I poured the evil solution down the drain. It stained the steel sink. So I had to run out to get Bartender's Helper. I usually save empty bottles. Instead I buried the bottle and covered the ground with garlic. But somehow I don't think this is over.

Hahahahaha :ltcapd:

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

So far, Baystate Blue is the only ink that won't come off my paws using Ink-Nix. It also badly clogged two pens. One I was able to get back in writing condition by soaking the nib and section for two days in soapy water. The other clogged pen I'm still working on.

Better check the satellite pictures of your nearest coastline in a few days...... the stain should be visible by then :D

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Today I made the mistake of including my fountain pen in a dryer, and Noodler's Baystate Blue ink was smeared all over my favorite 100% white and blue cotton dress shirts.

While I wailed and bemoaned my idiocy in making this mistake, my wife was much more clear-headed about it and found a way to remove the stains.

I LOVE this ink, and was I relieved to hear that it was possible for us to remove it from clothing.

Please note that I do not have a vested interest in the products used; it's just what we had on-hand.

She sprayed the affected areas with "Sebastian Shaper" hair spray and let set for 10 minutes.

The 4th time through, the stains had been removed with no indication that there had been a problem.

These were surface smears rather than saturated spots; it is my hope that if anyone finds themselves with this unfortunate issue, we've been helpful.

Good news!

Can you stain your shirts with polar blue? And when your wife finds out how to remove it, PM me.

Thanks

nick

... I don't think this get rich fast scam will work...

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

I have a bottle of Baystate Blue in the mail on its way to me. . . and this article makes me fear its coming.

Does everybody have nightmare stories about the ink or are these just select cases?

A big long pink cat ring!

It looked like pink ink!

And I said,

"Will this ever come off? I don't think!"

"Have no fear of that ring,"

Laughed the Cat in the Hat.

"Why, I can take cat rings

Off tubs. Just like that!"

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

I have a bottle of Baystate Blue in the mail on its way to me. . . and this article makes me fear its coming.

Does everybody have nightmare stories about the ink or are these just select cases?

It was my ardent hope that the article would reduce fears about staining of clothes with BSB; it does not bind to cotton as a lattice structure (bulletproof) ink seems to.

The Oxi-Clean worked very well in removing it from my fingers as well.

I understand the "Oxi-Clean" cleaner, but what does the hair spray do for the process?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I understand the "Oxi-Clean" cleaner, but what does the hair spray do for the process?

It's mostly for oil-based inks.

From this web page:

"Ballpoint Pen Ink: First, saturate material with an alcohol-based hair spray (this seems to be a very popular method). The alcohol content in the hair spray will break up the ink. Be sure to place an absorbent paper towel or rag under the stain to catch the excess. You then need to blot the stain with a rag. Repeat the process until the stain is removed, then launder as usual. A word of caution before trying this method: some fabrics may be damaged by the hair spray solution. If in doubt, test on an inconspicuous area first, or consult with a professional dry cleaner."

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

It's mostly for oil-based inks.

From this web page:

"Ballpoint Pen Ink: First, saturate material with an alcohol-based hair spray (this seems to be a very popular method). The alcohol content in the hair spray will break up the ink. Be sure to place an absorbent paper towel or rag under the stain to catch the excess. You then need to blot the stain with a rag. Repeat the process until the stain is removed, then launder as usual. A word of caution before trying this method: some fabrics may be damaged by the hair spray solution. If in doubt, test on an inconspicuous area first, or consult with a professional dry cleaner."

Great website! Thanks for the tip.

Gosh every time I log onto FPN I learn something new - usually it's about pens or ink - but this is a whole new world of information!

Thanks!

WG

Better check the satellite pictures of your nearest coastline in a few days...... the stain should be visible by then :D

Unfortunately, I do live on the coast. The Coast Guard reported a strange deep blue slick traveling south with the Labrador currents toward Cape Hatteras. Swimmers at Nags Head are coming out of the water with blue bodies. Ships are reporting clogged props. Sooner or later someone's bound to track the slick to my sink. What was I thinking? I'm going inland.

It is an interesting ink, no question. Wonderful color - and in my experience it has been quite well behaved. However, I only have it loaded into the Platinum Preppy eyedropper that came with it, and in a Pilot Murex. The eyedropper works fine, as you'd expect. The Murex has a Fine (EF western) nib and medium flow so there is little risk of drops coming out, and it is made of solid stainless surgical steel so I figured there is close to zero chance of it staining anything - no visulated section, bladder converter, stainless one piece section, etc... I flushed it out scrupulously before loading BSB and thus far, knock on wood, it has done quite nicely actually.

Whether it's penman sapphire, or BSB, it appears that truly luxurious blue color is only obtainable at a price...

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Don't fear it...

I have left marks in my stainless steel sink, but I KNOW it didn't actually stain the sink. It stained a residue left in the sink. As soon as I applied dish soap, water and elbow grease it just washed off. Same with my fingers/hands.

I find FPN Galileo leaves more "permanent" marks on my fingers in red/pink, and leaves marks in the sinks just the same. Yet it doesn't have this "negative" image.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

You either swear by it or swear at it. Needless to say, I don't want the filthy stuff within 100 feet of any of my pens ever again. I'm still working on unclogging my second pen. But I'd give it a try--use a wet writing pen (that's not your favorite) and don't let the pen sit unused for more than a day without flushing. You may be one of those who swear by it. :)

I've been pondering trying it in a user grade aero "51" - since that pen was designed to use the even more temperamental superchrome ink, it might be a good match. The sac on mine is clouded anyway so there isn't much risk that I can see - i don't imagine the lucite is very susceptible to staining either - and the hooded nib and collector might be the ticket for the otherwise fast drying and sometimes clogging BSB.

I think the key here is not to fear it but to understand it. There are plenty of threads about the stuff - pros and cons.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)