Streamliner color variations. Is this legit?

msacco

I recently acquired a really nice Streamliner. The model withouth the over the derby clip. I know this is a lower end model but it's writes so well that it's fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

It's burgandy, at least the barrel and section are, but the domed end cap color doesn't match. It's more of a dark brown. Did Eversharp use a two tone design here or was a swap made? I've seen dark brown Skyliners but my dome color doesn't match that brown either.

Anyone know if my two-tone is legit or not?

Mike S.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• msacco

• LBpens

• Wahlnut

• Richard

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently acquired a really nice Streamliner. The model withouth the over the derby clip. I know this is a lower end model but it's writes so well that it's fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

It's burgandy, at least the barrel and section are, but the domed end cap color doesn't match. It's more of a dark brown. Did Eversharp use a two tone design here or was a swap made? I've seen dark brown Skyliners but my dome color doesn't match that brown either.

Anyone know if my two-tone is legit or not?

Mike S.

It didn't come from the factory that way but for your purpose it certainly is "legit." In fact, one of the most interesting things I've seen done with Skylines was mixing barrels, caps and derbies and experimenting with different combinations. Some of the combinations were so striking that they sold at pen shows for much more than the parts were worth. Unless you are trying to assemble a "correct" historically accurate collection, don't worry so much about legit. I think a lot of pen people are intimidated by talk among vintage collectors about what is correct, and they shy away from interesting mismatches that look good, serve their user purpose well and can often be had at bargain prices.

Save the Wahls!

Is your pen really a Streamliner (upper image), or is it a Skyline Thrift (lower image)?

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/streamliner.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/trunc_clip_skyline.jpg

As for the color, Eversharp plastics from that period are known to have problems. Not only do they fade unevenly, but there is also some pretty convincing evidence of significant color variation between dye lots. The derby might be a dark brownish burgundy rather than a true brown, and it might actually be original to the pen. (You can see a difference in the color on my Thrift -- the derby is much less brown.) Can you post some photos?

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Yours would not be the firsy Burgundy derby to turn brown. I have seen that alot. Sometimes only a part of the der by turns brown where the rest of the derby is still burgundy or not fully one color or the oether . It may also have a lot to do with how the pen was stored over the years. If 100% Burgundy is your thing, replacement burgundy derbies can be found.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Yours would not be the firsy Burgundy derby to turn brown. I have seen that alot. Sometimes only a part of the der by turns brown where the rest of the derby is still burgundy or not fully one color or the oether . It may also have a lot to do with how the pen was stored over the years. If 100% Burgundy is your thing, replacement burgundy derbies can be found.

Syd

Syd, Richard,

Thanks for the education. Richard, my bad, it looks as though I have a Thift pen. Always thought it was a Streamliner.

Anyway, here's a pic. You can see the off color from this shot. I would like to have a match as this pen is in amazing shape and writes very, very nicely. Smooth with a little springiness. Where can I get a better matching derby?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/msacco/thriftpen.jpg

Is your pen really a Streamliner (upper image), or is it a Skyline Thrift (lower image)?

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/streamliner.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/trunc_clip_skyline.jpg

As for the color, Eversharp plastics from that period are known to have problems. Not only do they fade unevenly, but there is also some pretty convincing evidence of significant color variation between dye lots. The derby might be a dark brownish burgundy rather than a true brown, and it might actually be original to the pen. (You can see a difference in the color on my Thrift -- the derby is much less brown.) Can you post some photos?

The pen you are calling thrift was marketed by Wahl as "Streamline." The name was borrowed from the earlier pen known as the stenographic pen which was called Streamline first. Perhaps the pen in your top picture was also called streamline (someone was obviously into that) but I have never seen a box or ad for that one while I have for both the Skyline where the clip does not go over the derby and the stenographic pen - both streamline. Note too that these pens do not have the double check on the clip. Other Skylines where the clip does go over also lack the double check. The now popular moires for example. Whether that whole non-double check group was ever called thrift, I don't know. But the OP's pen was called streamline. By the way I like the look of a gray Skyline with a navy derby, that's not due to discoloration :) PS _ the rarest streamline variation is the one with the grooved plastic cap.

Edited by LBpens

Save the Wahls!