Sheaffer Legacy Numero Uno

Doug C

In 1995 I was on a business trip to St Louis when my wife called and said that I had a package delivered. I had not ordered anything so I had no idea as to what it was. She also said that I had an envelope addressed to me from Pen World magazine. I figured it was a subscription request.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160097.jpg

When I returned I was startled to find that I was the grand prize winner of the contest to celebrate the relaunch of the Sheaffer Pen for Men (or PFM), the Legacy. I had entered it months before, and the goal of the contest was to guess the correct number of parts in the new pen. They had mentioned that there were clues scattered around in the magazine. I took apart one of my other Sheaffers, and determined that it probably had between 20 and 30 parts (depending on what your definition of what constitutes a 'part'). I found that a common number in articles, etc in the magazine was 28 so I took a shot with that number.

I had won the very first Legacy off the production line!!! Two other people won #'s 2 and 3, and these winners were scattered around the globe. All of the winners were mentioned in an article in the subsequent edition of Pen World, but these (I have 2 copies) are packed away in the garage so I don't have the details at hand.

On to the review:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160096.jpg

Nib:

5/5

I know that quite a few of you are dismayed to find that I have actually inked this pen, but I am of the school that pens are meant to be used. The reality is that I have only used it 3 or 4 times in the last 13 years. It is interesting to note that, while this was the very first production pen made, it still writes like a dream, well before the time where quality control programs are rampant in the production of most products.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160093.jpg

Filling System:

5/5

This was the first exposure I had had to the Touchdown filling system, and it makes me wonder why this in not in common use. You unscrew the blind cap, pull out the end piece, stick it in the ink well, and push. Once this is done, you just screw the blind cap back in and you are ready to write. This is similar to other systems like Visconti, but I had never realized just how satisfying this could be.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160094.jpg

Appearance:

4/5

When I first got the Legacy, I thought it was huge, easily the biggest pen I owned at the time. It still had a great feel in the hand, with that compact, but stocky look. One thing I do not care for (and after looking at other Legacy's) is that posting the cap, or even putting the cap over the nib leaves scratches. This is not a pen I use, but just the act of pulling it out to show friends had left minute scratches on the body.

The center section (which is tough to see in my crummy photographs) is engraved 'PEN WORLD-LEGACY ONE-JUNE 1995'

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P3240090.jpg

Value:

10/5

Need I say more?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/P4160096.jpg

Conclusion:

I feel honored to have won this pen, and it gave me a new perspective on just how wonderful American pens were in their heyday.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• satrap

• georges zaslavsky

• lowks

I had a Legacy and must admit somehow it never clicked with me.It wrote nice and I loved the toucdown filler but still I never fell in love with it,not really sure why.Eventualy I sold it and I hope the buyer is happy with it and uses it more then I did.

What I dont liked so much about the pen was that it was a bit too heavy for me and that it didnt have the warm feeling the FPM used to have.The inlaid nib is of course fantastic but I like the Taraga's inlaid nib even better.

Respect to all

I had a Legacy and must admit somehow it never clicked with me.It wrote nice and I loved the toucdown filler but still I never fell in love with it,not really sure why.Eventualy I sold it and I hope the buyer is happy with it and uses it more then I did.

What I dont liked so much about the pen was that it was a bit too heavy for me and that it didnt have the warm feeling the FPM used to have.The inlaid nib is of course fantastic but I like the Taraga's inlaid nib even better.

I guess my feelings changed when I got this pen. I was never a big Sheaffer fan at the time (even then, I was an Italian fountain pen bigot), but I really feel that this pen fits perfectly and doesnt feel too heavy since the weight is so well distributed. I agree in having light pens. Most of the ones that are weighty or are not well distributed are ones that I have sold off.

I do like having a little piece of history too.

(and BTW, this pen is not scratched up quite like it appears in the photos. I'm not sure why it appears that way).

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...

I just realized thatthere seemed to be little to no interest in one of my posts from April.

Are there no Sheaffer fans out there that were interested in this pen? I guess I am a little surprised that there were no replies to such a stroke of luck on my part since I see posts for Legacies all the time.

Just curious..

the Danitrio Fellowship

What I find interesting is that now Bic/Bich has closed the Fort Madison facility which produced these superlative pens, much of the economic justification has disappeared in the wind. The dollar is at record lows against the Euro making Bic's Eurotrash products very expensive. Meanwhile, the excellent workmanship mentioned by Doug C will be disappearing as craftsmen pass from the scene.

I fear that workmanship such as what we have enjoyed will not be seen again except by the tiny, boutique producers and even then, nibs will come from people who just can't replicate Sheaffer's outstanding inlaid nib. It just takes too long to train someone to learn to do it properly.

What I find interesting is that now Bic/Bich has closed the Fort Madison facility which produced these superlative pens, much of the economic justification has disappeared in the wind. The dollar is at record lows against the Euro making Bic's Eurotrash products very expensive. Meanwhile, the excellent workmanship mentioned by Doug C will be disappearing as craftsmen pass from the scene.

I fear that workmanship such as what we have enjoyed will not be seen again except by the tiny, boutique producers and even then, nibs will come from people who just can't replicate Sheaffer's outstanding inlaid nib. It just takes too long to train someone to learn to do it properly.

And since you mention the workmanship, even though this was the first one off the line, it writes perfectly-doesn't skip, and starts right up, something you can't say about most of the pens out there today.

the Danitrio Fellowship

A collectible with a unique story is always nice. Congratulations on the nice pen, a nice win :)

Hi Doug,

Sorry, I didn't see this thread until now....

WOW! So you're the person who won the first Legacy?? :o

A very belated congratulations are in order! Colour me impressed.... :D

I have the issue of "Pen World" in which the contest was announced (I love one of the hints they gave-- "....nib plus tipping material equals one part" :lol: ) and I always wondered how many parts there were to the pen. Now you've got me thinking about it again (lessee.....Cap, clip, white dot.... :hmm1: )

Thank you for sharing your win with us here on FPN and congratulations, once again, on winning the very first Legacy made!

Thanks to all. It is one of those pens that (unless I have found myself forced to subsist on a diet of purina) I will never sell.

If I pass away suddenly, however, I wouldnt be suprised to see my kids post here.....................

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks to all. It is one of those pens that (unless I have found myself forced to subsist on a diet of purina) I will never sell.

If I pass away suddenly, however, I wouldnt be suprised to see my kids post here.....................

And for good reason. To think - the first Legacy! A truly symbolic example of a great pen. I wish I could track down the first Snorkel. :)

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

I just realized thatthere seemed to be little to no interest in one of my posts from April.

Are there no Sheaffer fans out there that were interested in this pen? I guess I am a little surprised that there were no replies to such a stroke of luck on my part since I see posts for Legacies all the time.

Just curious..

In part it was your post that encouraged me to buy a NOS Legacy II which I just received. So thank you for the post that resulted in another pen purchase. It is a great looking pen and my first thoughts after dipping it was how great it writes. I like bold nibs and at some point I was going to post about why it seems the market prefers medium or fine, but this pen has a really bold stroke. I will have to write bigger and it is great for signatures. I, too, was always looking at European manufacturers and love my Pilot Vanishing Points and this is my first Sheaffer that was not a school pen. It is comfortable to use, has a great look and I like it a lot.

Edited by LP100

Just curious..

In part it was your post that encouraged me to buy a NOS Legacy II which I just received. So thank you for the post that resulted in another pen purchase. It is a great looking pen and my first thoughts after dipping it was how great it writes. I like bold nibs and at some point I was going to post about why it seems the market prefers medium or fine, but this pen has a really bold stroke. I will have to write bigger and it is great for signatures. I, too, was always looking at European manufacturers and love my Pilot Vanishing Points and this is my first Sheaffer that was not a school pen. It is comfortable to use, has a great look and I like it a lot.

Great to hear. I sometimes feel that we have left some of the great marques in the dust, and it is a shame.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I missed this thread the first time around, and missing it is the only reason that I did not reply.

This story is amazing. I mean - the FIRST Legacy? That is so totally cool! I certainly do not have anything like that.

It's a bit late for me to say congratulations, but I'll acknowledge the uniqueness of what you have there. And I think it is great that you inked it.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. The horrible thing is that when I won this in 1995, I didn't know what a PFM was. I probably have no right to own it.

...........but I'm keepin it..

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. The horrible thing is that when I won this in 1995, I didn't know what a PFM was. I probably have no right to own it.

...........but I'm keepin it..

You ARE a better person for it. :thumbup:

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

<friendly pat on shoulder> There, DougC...

I first saw the Legacy pens on a website in 1998. Those pens had coloured barrels...blue, green, red (Legacy ll?). I thought they were sort of pretty. At that time, not only was I a staunch Waterman fan, but, I was nearly penniless.

Anyway, fast forward to 2006. Persuing eBay, I happened upon these pens going for close-out prices. LuanneXXX was selling off Jim Gaston's stock (I think that is how the story goes). I bought 2 (blue, green) from her, at about 90.00 each, including shipping. :clap1:

I can't say more than you've said about them. Great pens, beautiful style, dependable, starting first time, every time. Way cool filling system!

diane

uh, I think I need a red one...

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

<friendly pat on shoulder> There, DougC...

I first saw the Legacy pens on a website in 1998. Those pens had coloured barrels...blue, green, red (Legacy ll?). I thought they were sort of pretty. At that time, not only was I a staunch Waterman fan, but, I was nearly penniless.

Anyway, fast forward to 2006. Persuing eBay, I happened upon these pens going for close-out prices. LuanneXXX was selling off Jim Gaston's stock (I think that is how the story goes). I bought 2 (blue, green) from her, at about 90.00 each, including shipping. :clap1:

I can't say more than you've said about them. Great pens, beautiful style, dependable, starting first time, every time. Way cool filling system!

diane

uh, I think I need a red one...

Hey, I AM a better person for owning it arent I? I might even consider getting another one for 'everyday' use...

the Danitrio Fellowship

Great deal.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15