Yard-O-Led

Nihontochicken

I'm glad you brought the question up, because it's made me really look at YOL from a different perspective. They weren't really even on my radar before.

Same here, which is why I asked. Thank you! :thumbup:

Nihonto Chicken

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nihontochicken

• QM2

• Deirdre

• Titivillus

I guess the conclusion is that, yes, there is a small but very hard core of YOL aficionados who well like the style of early twentieth century mechanical pencils, some of whom get rather defensive when asked about it. ;)

I think you are reading more defense into the responses than is really there but going in you did put the question out as how does YOL stay in business not what makes the pen such a great pen... not a good opening to a dialog :ltcapd:

Kurt

Edited by Titivillus

I have a YOL Grand Victorian FP, fine point and really love everything about it. I have other SS pens and I think silver is a nice finish but it does take upkeep. Gee, a reason to handle and use my pens-- Oh please throw me in the Pen patch!

The Danitrio Fellowship

Here is one of my YOL "Imerial Dragon". Very nice sterling silver workmanship. The length is fine when posted, but the girth is a bit thin for my daily use.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/tn_DSC05131.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/tn_DSC05132.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/tn_DSC05130.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/winedoc/tn_DSC05133.jpg

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Leisurely cruising the bottom on Fleabay, looking for cheap, oops, er, ah, I mean, "reasonable" deals, I've noticed a few not-too-popular brands that, for some reason, seem to go for goodly coin. One of them is Yard-O-Led. A brief research indicates the Brit company was formed in 1934, and today specializes in "hand-made" sterling writing instruments. As the name implies, the company makes mechanical pencils, but also fountain and ballpoint pens. However, the pens are fashioned much the same as the pencils, and most in the retro 1920s-30s style that, it seems to me, a majority of people do not find aesthetically pleasing. Certainly similarly shaped pencils by other manufacturers, even in sterling and from the actual period, don't seem to go for all that much. New Yard-O-Led pens (ballpoint) and pencils seem to start at about $300 a pop at retail, maybe discounted to $230 or so (less, of course, on Fleabay). So how does this company stay in biz, given that the $230 pen has maybe $15 worth of silver in it? I'm not trying to dump on the company or its products, just trying to rectify the disconnect between what these retro style pens and pencils retail for today as compared to what the similar vintage pencils seem to go for. Is Yard-O-led maybe the Mont Blanc for those few who are truly "in the know"??? :huh:

I haven't yet read the other responses to your question because I felt so compelled to respond. In my opinion Yard-O-Led pens are exquisite. They represent extraordinary craftsmanship. Some manufacturers specialize in lacquer finishes, others in celluloid. Yard-O-Led are silversmiths of the highest order. Add to that mix one of the smoothest writing nibs I've ever used and I'd conclude that their the best fountain pen that no one's ever heard of. I keep mine inked because it's a joy to use.

I understand their style may not appeal to every taste. That explains the incredible diversity of pen materials and styles. As a writer they are truly exceptional. :happyberet:

... but going in you did put the question out as how does YOL stay in business not what makes the pen such a great pen... not a good opening to a dialog

Point taken, and though I still have the same consideration, next time I'll wordsmith it to be more acceptable to the cognoscente. It apparently came off as pejorative, which wasn't my intent. In fact, I rather admire the YOL moxie in their business model. I mean, as a FP loving banker, would you fund a business plan as outlined below?

- Produce the entire line out of sterling silver

- Utilize a lot of skilled hand finishing in the production

- Don't offshore the high priced labor, keep production at home

- Base the majority of the product line on the style of early twentieth century mechanical pencils, a style that has been modernly replicated by only a very few other manufacturers in isolated cases, and none apparently a runaway success

- Price the product to nearly that of a Sailor 1911 sterling FP on the low end, to much greater on the upper end.

I'm favorably impressed that YOL has made this model work for them. The YOL retro pens surely are more impressive for their price level than, say, those of Parker, IMO (waiting now for Parker flames ;) ) Will I buy one at or near retail? Probably not now, at least until after I get a Sailor sterling. But who knows, after I receive my Diplomat, maybe the style will grow on me. B)

Edit: Researching another thread, I see that Parker has had reasonable success in marketing modern Duofold BPs based on the old mechanical pencil style. Don't know how big a seller these are, but evidently there is a decent market for them. There are enough of them about that I'm surprised that these models don't ever seem to have shown up in the FPN threads I've read. In any event, I'm forced to back off some from business plan statement #4 above. That said, from what I can see of perceived value versus cost, I'll stick with my conclusion, that YOL looks to be a better buy, even though I had very different Parker retro models in mind when I originally made that statement.

Edited by Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

I guess the conclusion is that, yes, there is a small but very hard core of YOL aficionados who well like the style of early twentieth century mechanical pencils, some of whom get rather defensive when asked about it. ;)

That is why many join forums: the need to argue over scintillae, minutiae and the splitting of hair. Don't take their defensiveness personally. It's what happens on the internet.

I don't own a Yard-O-Led. Yet.

Fred

you must try one to see how well build it is. The craftsmanship in these pens is outstanding.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

The Yard-O-Led Diplomat ballpoint pen arrived today. Nice piece, though somewhat shorter than I had imagined. It weighs 22 grams, and so, without adjusting for the weight of the refill cartridge, it contains about $11 worth of silver at today's price, somewhat under my original guesstimate of $15. Unfortunately, the twist action is sticky. Can someone tell me how to take the pen apart such as to replace the cartridge? Thanks! :)

Nihonto Chicken

This is going to make me sound bachelor-level lazy*, but while I like the look of some YOL pens, the sterling silver is high maintenance. I don't mind flushing out the nibs once in a while, wiping off fingerprints now and again, but polishing silver pens? Not my speed. (My Toledo gets rather dark before I bring out the toothpaste and bring it's gleamy glow back.)

*I like to think of myself as "low maintenance" rather than "lazy." Tomato, tomahto.

With silver, if you use it every day, your hands will constantly wear off the oxidized layer, keeping it shiny. Nothing could be lower maintenance. I use a Zippo Sterling Silver Armor lighter, and with daily use, it stays nice and clean--though no longer mirror-like.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing