How Many Pens do you carry outside the house?

Blade Runner

I have a cross FP that I use as my day to day pen which I keep at work. I also keep my MB 144 at work in a drawer. When I have long writing assignments, I treat myself-- to using the MB but then it goes back in the drawer.

If I want to write I also have a hero 320 to write on. I find that if I keep transporting pens that (for me) I eventually lose them, so I try to keep a home base for them.

In addition I have a parker jotter at work (that hasn't changed its looks since the 60's) that I keep available also when I need to press hard on things.

Hope that helps...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• amh210

• wimg

• Apollo

When I go to work I carry a 12 pen case and a 3 pen case. When I leave my desk to go to a meeting or a consultation, I wil carry my 3 pen case while leaving the rest of my pens at work. When the day is over, I bring them all home. If I am leaving the house, I will normally just carry my 3 pen case. I almost never use my shirt pockets because I dont have that many shirts with pockets. This also prevents me from dropping my pens accidentially out of my shirt pocket and having them crash and break on the floor. I am also looking at some new 3 pen cases. Mine is getting quite tore up!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Most of my pens live at work. About 80 are "displayed" in my office and about a dozen are inked on my desk in a Levenger pen box.

At home, I have a "51" demi, Lustraloy cap and dark blue barrel and a Sheaffer mottled blue school pen with a gold colored disk in the top of the cap. Uses Sheaffer cartridges and is the "available to anyone" grab-it pen in my house. In addition, I have a varied assortment of pens that are awaiting evaluation and restoration. When complete, they take the one-way trip to my office.

I don't write very much at home so that explains the office/home weighted pen distribution scheme. I've only got two bottles of ink at home, Lamy turquoise and 2004 DC Supershow Blue. About a dozen bottles live in my office.

I use my shirt pocket to transport pens I use out of the office and on other occasions I use a MB leather 2-pen case acquired from Gary in NZ. When I move a bunch of pens between home, for whatever purpose, and work I use a Shure vinyl microphone pouch.

When I take my pens to show them off, to a show, or to an in-person trade meeting, I use 24-pen leather cases picked up from ebay from an outfit in Canada that also sells Danny Rabbit pens. They are handy because they also fold in half and sit on my bookshelves and display themselves.

I'd like to figure out how to leave a reliable FP in my car but I'm worried about heat, starting, and upside-down or sideways storage. Has anyone licked this problem?

Andy Hoffman

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

If I'm going to work, I carry between 4 and 5 - I always have my VP and a vector (to loan) in my messenger bag, and then 2 or 3 in my 3 pen case that are catching my fancy that day, though my Aurora 88 has now been in my 3 pen case for about a month straight - I'm loving that pen! I've gotten to where I don't really worry about losing my pens, because they're always in my sight and in use all day, so I carry even my more expensive ones. If I'm somewhere other than the office, I'll usually just carry the 3 pen case, or one clipped to my shirt neck.

Most of the time when I'm wearing jeans, I have a Kaweco 2-pen case containing a Kaweco AL-Sport with PR Midnight Blues or Sonic Blue, and a Kaweco inkball conversion with Noodler's American Eel Blue. I also have this set in my trouser pocket when I go to church, for notes on the sermon, writing a check for the usual surprise second collection, and for random thoughts while waiting for Mass to start.

For professional group meetings, normally it's just the Hero 100 flighter. For business meetings, it's whatever "power" pen matches the suit.

Edited by BillTheEditor

One, usually. Most of the time it's an Aurora Optima or a Pel M600. It usually has blue ink, either one of the Noodler's eternal blues, or Midnight Blue mixed with an eternal for water-resistance. I keep an M800 in my desk drawer loaded with Luxury Blue for signatures, and a red-striped M600 with Noodler's black on my desk at home for writing checks. I have other pens and other inks, of course, but I don't usually carry them around.

Viseguy

Normally, I "only" carry three:

- Waterman Charleston GT (inked with R&K Verdigris);

- Waterman Expert II (inked with Parker Penman Sapphire); and

- Pilot Vpen (inked with red ink).

I have no need for more FP's while outside, but I'm quite sure reading the posts on this forum will get me hooked on bringing them all soon enough... ;)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

I carry only one pen. Usually in my shirt or coat pocket. I also rotate my pens.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

[snip]

When I take my pens to show them off, to a show, or to an in-person trade meeting, I use 24-pen leather cases picked up from ebay from an outfit in Canada that also sells Danny Rabbit pens. They are handy because they also fold in half and sit on my bookshelves and display themselves.

[snip]

Andy Hoffman

Andy, that seller was Darrell - 'Ultra-Collections'. He's a member of our pen club here in Ottawa. I hear he may be getting in some 3-pen cases more suited for casual carry, although I haven't seen them yet.

Gerry

Thanks. I didn't recall the details and I was too lazy to look it up. I liked the product and price very much but it sure took a long time to ship from Canada to California!

I've gotten many more pens since then. I may have to bite the bullet and buy a few more!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

When I go to work I carry 2 pens in my Piquadro 2 pen case (one is my DaniTrio raw ebonite Densho, the other gets rotated). At work I have a Baoer 3013 that is inked with Noodler's black (since we can only use black ink in our lab notebooks).

On the weekends I usually only carry my rOtring core, since its unique style looks fairly at home with jeans and a t-shirt.

french

I carry about 5. I am a physician with occassionaly alot of rounding and writing in patients charts, so my double pocketed lab coat can easily accomodate it.

On rounds this morning I had the following in my rotation.

1. MB 149 (fine nib)

2. MB Boheme (EF nib)

3. Sailor 1911M (fine nib)

4. ST Dupont Orpheo (fine nib)

5. MB 144 Classic Ball point (gotta have a pen that patients can use to sign their cardiac cath consent forms).

I actually also had my Delta Dolciveta oversized fine nib, but that one never made it out of the pocket and into any patients charts today. Maybe tommorrow?

For work and college, I have a 5-Pen holder in which I usually carry 3-4 pens. Maybe 3 FP's and a ballpoint or roller ball at times.

The 2 staples tend to be a EF Pelikan M400 and a EF Montegrappa Micra. I always carry a pen in my pocket also - it's been a Duke 2007 Mini or Pelikan M200 lately.

Away from work and college, I keep a F Pelikan M300 and a Lamy Scribble ballpoint in my bag. :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Most of the time lately I carry 2. My best Sheaffer Fat Vac. Valiant Fine point with Tahitian Pearl Blue-Black or Noodler's Black.

Then I'll carry one of my Tuckaways for backup, usually my Green Sentinel TD Fine point with Aircorp Blue-Black.

If I bring my travel drawing kit (in a folding glasses case) I'll also have my favorite Black Esterbrook SJ with a 9048 Semi-flex Fine nib, a Black Osmiroid pen with a sketch nib, a Black Valiant Tuckaway with an XF Feathertouch nib. :blink:

These are filled with Noodler's Black or Noodler's Polar Black.

Also a .03 mech. pencil and kneaded erasure. /:)

Huzzah! :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Well, as a fountain pen nut I would sometimes carry 4-5 and sometimes 6 pens on me everyday, but it was absurd considering I rarely had a need to use all of them within any specific day. These days I rotate pens each week and I usually carry one or sometimes two fountain pens at the most. That's all one really needs to get by on a daily basis. One to use as your primary pen and another as a backup (just in case) or as an alternate colour ink pen.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.