Permanent black or blue/black ink needed.

Shangas

Lamy, Quink or MB Blue-Blacks are iron gall inks. The only proven ones to last, but also there is concern about the damage to the nib. I've used them in the past for over 10 years, hardly flushing a steel nib, and it only shows slight color alteration, the truth. I've been planning to go back to this type of ink for archival reasons and not to worried about the nib if the rest of the pen is non metallic.

Hope your forms look nice!.

Quink? Quink Blue-Black is iron gall? :hmm1:

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• alexanderino

• Ondina

• limesally

Let me add that Heart of Darkness is a fully permanent Noodler's black.

Nathan T. has given it the highest permanent rating: bulletproof. I'm also very keen to try it out, not least because of the free Platinum Preppy pen ;)

I just ran across a post saying that Noodler's is now available in Sydney, Australia. I know you've mentioned you're in Melbourne, but perhaps if you can't find it there, perhaps you could mail order.

Yes, the <abbr title="Queen Victoria Building">QVB</abbr> shop has a dozen bottles of Black.

One flick/refill is worth it for the peace of mind wrt my manuscripts, I think. :)

Absolutely :)

I popped into the QVB shop of PenUltimate the other day, and they did have some Noodler's. I was looking for blues, though, and didn't ask about Black.

I got an email back from Pen City in Melbourne last December saying that they did have Noodler's in stock. I would check with them, first.

Also Pepe's Paperie has Noodler's Black, and do mail order.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Quink? Quink Blue-Black is iron gall? :hmm1:

Certainly not the kind of Quink Blue-black I've got - that one fades even in....well, nothing. It fades even in a closed notebook :rolleyes: and will certainly wash off with water. Maybe there's another one?

I do have the Lamy Blue-black (in the bottle, apparantly the cartridge version is not FG) and that one is very water-resistant.

Edited by limesally

I popped into the QVB shop of PenUltimate the other day, and they did have some Noodler's. I was looking for blues, though, and didn't ask about Black.

Was it before Saturday? The shop received a huge shipment that day, and now carries just about every colour available in Australia right now [except highlighter inks] :)

Excuse me...did I hear that? Quink b/b is iron-gall?

I strongly doubt it.

Edited by alexanderino

Quink? I have modern Quink blue-black and a 1940s bottle (full) and neither exhibits any iron gall traits at all. In fact, I believe Quink and Waterman's BB have been the same ink for some time now. I will be happy to stand corrected on the last part, it just seems silly for Newell to have two ink plants running in the same country (France).

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

My first choice for this kind of application is Noodler's Legal Lapis, but it's too "green" for many people. It's my favorite dark color.

For important papers, I prefer a non-black; I want it to be obvious where I wrote or signed, but not so obvious it's prone to fade. So if I wanted something darker, I'd probably add some Heart of Darkness (the only black I have) to Legal Lapis.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I find myself needing some permanent ink. Either black or blue/black. Nice and dark and waterproof etc etc...you know the drill.

While some Noodler's and Mont Blanc's blue-black (an iron gall ink) will both fit your bill, there is another way to go altogether that might be easier, depending on your ability to find the inks you need. Any art supply store should have a narrow point permanent black felt tip marker. When I need to mark certain documents with archival information I sometimes use a Pigma Micron 05 felt-tip marker, which has acid-free archival black ink and a 0.45mm wide point.

JN

One issue to be aware of with some Noodler's bulletproof inks -- especially if you opt for a dip pen -- is bleedthrough, which of course is an absolute no-no on 2-sided forms. You should be alright, though, with bulletproof Black (which has a slower flow than some of the other bulletproofs) and an F or finer nib. Maybe even an M nib would work.

Viseguy

Noodler's Bulletproof Black is your best choice. Lives up to the hype, and that takes something special. It was my favourite black until I received the new and upcoming X-Feather.

As for Melbourne, the usual suspects don't seem to be carrying Noodler's! But try Dymocks, the Sydney stores carry Noodler's. Also, Pen City may still have it [though their website does not]. If you're unsuccessful, PM me.

Sorry having trouble sending what I wrote. Anyway, I was putting in my plug for Noodlers BP Black. I've been using it exclusively in my FP at work where I write all day (and night) in medical charts. I clean out my pen every 2-3 weeks when I start having flow problems (which I suspect is the pen's problem as much as an ink thing), but it works fine. The ink might as well be Sharpie marker as far as permanence goes...I have personal experience with cups of coffee spilling over charts...my BP Black is wholly unaffected, but all the other inks on the page (from various ball points and roller balls and such) blur to one degree or another.

It's all I use at work since I was given my first fountain pen in December 2007. I'm hooked and now I can't bring myself to use non-bulletproof ink!

Looks like Noodlers B/P black/blue-black is what I'm after then. Thanks, guys :)

Oh and Viseman, with regards to bleeding & dip-pens, I do have a rocker-blotter and paper. Will that suffice to prevent bleeding and/or feathering?

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Iron Gall Inks

The three inks below are Irong Gall Inks so they are water and light resistant. I like them because they do not smudge. They require frequent rinsing of the pen. Don't let them dry out inside the pen.

The first two are closer to the blue spectrum of blue-black while the Diamine one ages into a colour closer to the black spectrum of blue-black.

Lamy Blue-Black

Mont Blanc Blue-Black

Diamine Registrar's Ink

Regular Ink

Noodler's black is a very good ink. Will resist water, sun etc. My only complaint is that it can still smudge when dry.

Mame

(My name is explained in my profile:) )

Pens I got: Pelikan M200 & M605; Pilot Cavalier, Lamy Al-Star Graphite, Pelikan Pelikano Black, Pelikan Future, Hero M61, Waterman Phileas, Lamy 2000

Pens I want: Pelikan M805, Pelikan Majesty

Stuff on the way: Diamine Prussian Blue

One issue to be aware of with some Noodler's bulletproof inks -- especially if you opt for a dip pen -- is bleedthrough, which of course is an absolute no-no on 2-sided forms. You should be alright, though, with bulletproof Black (which has a slower flow than some of the other bulletproofs) and an F or finer nib. Maybe even an M nib would work.

I have not had any problems with bleed-through on Noodler's black, even on standard notebook paper.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Now I don't know what to say. I don't have any modern Quink BB, but the one I used continuosly 20 years back sure was. If the modern stuff is similar to todays' Waterman's BB, then is not, that one I've tried. And unfortunatedly keep no old Parker BB. But I've dug out old notes and tested under running water,and is got to be iron gall. But good to know today's one is not.

Sorry for the panic attack, Shangas, but Quink BB was my regular daily use while at the University and though I disliked the color to the limit, I used it as rain was a constant in my life back then. :)

Lamy, Quink or MB Blue-Blacks are iron gall inks.

This is absolutely the first time when I hear that parker Quink Blue-black is iron gall ink. I think it is not. Their catalogue says nothing about that iron-gall thing. But it is true that Lamy Blue-black and Montblanc Blue-black are iron-gall inks.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

For a permanent blue, you'd want Upper Ganges Blue, yes, Noodler's....

-Bruce

Lamy, Quink or MB Blue-Blacks are iron gall inks.

This is absolutely the first time when I hear that parker Quink Blue-black is iron gall ink. I think it is not. Their catalogue says nothing about that iron-gall thing. But it is true that Lamy Blue-black and Montblanc Blue-black are iron-gall inks.

Quink has a regular blue-black AND a permanent blue-black. I suspect the one that is iron gall would be the permanent one. I saw their permanent one in Staples recently and was going to buy it to try it out, but my wife was already pushing me to leave, quoting something akin to "Just how many bottles of ink do you ALREADY have???"

She only has so much patience with my various obsessions... :roflmho:

BTW, before even noticing this thread, I was out today and picked up two bottles of Montblanc blue-black from a local jeweller. It is my first foray into the MB line of inks. I find it doesn't flow quite as freely as the Noodler's in my Waterman Charleston, so it appears more as a fine nib with the MB ink (not necessarily a bad thing for work). I have been fighting to get a good blue-black (standard colour) permanent blue for work by mixing Noodler's LL and VV. It is close, but for work, I still prefer the traditional colours. My journal, on the other hand, has quite a selection of ink colours in it! :happyberet:

Chris

---

Don't take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!

Looks like Noodlers B/P black/blue-black is what I'm after then. Thanks, guys :)

Oh and Viseman, with regards to bleeding & dip-pens, I do have a rocker-blotter and paper. Will that suffice to prevent bleeding and/or feathering?

Hmm, not likely. Bleedthrough and feathering happen instantaneously (if they happen at all), so I don't think a blotter would help. But you should be OK if your pen has a somewhat restrained flow.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Viseguy