The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Exception

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:25

Here is my review of the Waterman Exception Night/Day platinum trim version. Ive owned this pen for about 2 months and enjoy it immensely. It is a very classy looking pen and kind of resembles a tuxedo. It is my heaviest pen weighing in at 57.4 grams. It is 5 3/4" long capped, and 5 1/4" uncapped. This pen is basically unpostable which doesn't bother me cause I don't like the feeling of posting my pens. The nib is your standard 18kt rhodium plated nib, and is kind of stiff. There is a little bit of flex to it but not much. This nib is a fine nib and is finer than my MB 149 with an extra fine nib. It is a cartridge/converter filler and has this very cool bayonette type mechanism to access the converter. You can hopefully see this in one of my photos. The only thing I don't like about this pen is the snap cap doesn't feel all that great when pulling off the cap or putting on the cap. It somehow feels insecure although I've never had the cap pop off own its own. I wish waterman would make screw on caps(minor details though... Minor details). Out of the 3 fountain pens I own this one is currently tied in 2nd place with the Mont Blanc 149 on my small list of favorites.

Nib Functionality- 4/5 This pen always lays down a nice fine line is quite smooth. It is smoother than my 149, but not as smooth as the Cartier Pasha.
Nib Esthetics- 4/5 This is really more of a personal preference than a fact. I think that this nib looks great and really fits the look of the pen; Waterman hit the nail on the head with this one.
Flow- 5/5 This pen always starts up without any trouble and has never caused me any greif.
Filling System- 3/5 I would prefer if a $500 pen had a piston filling system rather than a C/C. When will all the other companies catch on?
Cost 4/5 This was a fairly expensive pen but was well worth it.

Total- 20/25

Here are some pics I took yesterday. Enjoy!

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Sponsored Content

#2 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:42

You are keeping busy tonight ha ? 2 reviews is a lot of work headsmack.gif .

This is also another nice pen but somehow it bothers me less that it doesnt have a piston filler.I know Waterman for a while and I am used to not have a piston on them.I love Waterman nibs (on their high end pens) and I think this is one beautiful pen.Never the less to be honest I cant see myself spending 500$ on this pen I think its a bit too much.

Are you going to write a review of the MB 149 too ?

Edited by goodguy, 14 April 2008 - 01:44.

Respect to all

#3 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:44

Nicely done!! Great pics. So how exactly do you remove the section?

#4 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:47

QUOTE(Opus104 @ Apr 13 2008, 06:44 PM) View Post

It is just a matter of turning the section. It clicks into place(feels very secure), I read in another post somewhere that it is very similar to S.T. Dupont's system.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

#5 adyf

adyf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:29

QUOTE(Legal Eagle @ Apr 14 2008, 01:47 AM) View Post

It is just a matter of turning the section. It clicks into place(feels very secure), I read in another post somewhere that it is very similar to S.T. Dupont's system.

It's a bayonet fitting, just like changing a light bulb.

#6 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2008 - 21:39

QUOTE(adyf @ Apr 15 2008, 11:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Legal Eagle @ Apr 14 2008, 01:47 AM) View Post

It's a bayonet fitting, just like changing a light bulb.

Or...er...a bayonet smile.gif As has been said, it does feel very secure.

I have the black Night & Day version with a stub nib, which will write on papers which many others balk-at.
One of my nicest-writing pens...and I like the snap-on cap, too!

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#7 Peheme

Peheme

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 00:04

Hello,

I cannot see the pictures.

Could the orginal poster repost them?

Or, if someone knows a good place to see pictures of this particular edition (platinum), feel free to share a link.

Thanks.

#8 Epictete92

Epictete92

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 16:35

Hello,

If it can help..i have just added this pen on my web site, here is the link, do not hesitate to click on the picture to get full size pic.
Best regards
Jean Elie

http://www.penandco....utique/2/1/196/

Sponsored Content

|