The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Ogiva Guilloche HT-review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2008 - 15:26

Well how can I start this review? It is very important for me to be exact.
I actually didnít write this review the moment I tried the pen, I decided to wait just a bit that the natural excitement will ware off and the true performance of the pen will be correctly reviewed.

For the last few years Iíve been using almost solely my Omas Paragon HT (old style) as everyday user. My Paragon has a lovely 18K fine nib that I canít stop talking about. Until today I didnít find a pen with a nib that wrote as good as my Paragon. The pen that so far was the closest to the Paragon was my Mont Blanc Virginia Woolf but it still wasnít there in comparison to my Paragon (I wrote a nice review comparing these 2 pens).

I tried so many other pens and the main issue was the nib, they were smooth, pretty, wet but when you are talking about that special thing I call character or feedback they lacked what it had to be as good as the Paragon. You guys know I am a big MB fan but no MB pen was as good and no other pens.

Well last month while I was at the monthly Cambridge (in Ontario Canada) monthly Pen Meeting I got the chance to try a pen I didnít believe will touch me so deep.
One of the members had an Omas Ogiva Guilloche with HT trim. The pen was lying with few wonderful pens in his pen wallet so it was hard to notice this pen but after trying few of his pens I asked to try this pen. Now the Ogiva is a lovely pen but not one that sticks out in a crowd of colorful pens. With its black body and white trim it looks respectable but not eye popping.
Well in any case I held the pen in my hand and without too much ceremony I put the medium nib on the paper and started to write with it.
Ladies and gentleman I was AMAZED, I felt as if I am in fountain pen heaven. This was it, this was the nib we are all looking for. This relatively quiet and serious pen had the BEST nib ever!!! Yes even better then my Paragon.
Right away I offered to buy the pen but sadly the owner didnít want my money but rather another pen I have and cherish so we had to part as friends and I knew I MUST have this pen.
I posted a WTB post both on the FPN and Pen trace and after few days I found a FPN member that was willing to sell me his pen. The pen was exactly the same pen as the one I tried, itís an Omas Ogiva Guilloche with HT trim and a medium nib. The price was fair, the seller was super nice and 2 weeks later I had the package in my hands.

The pen came with its original box and as was very pleased with it. The box is beautiful and matches the overall package of this lovely pen.
To be honest after few weeks I forgot how big this pen is. This pen is really big. It is actually slightly bigger then my Mont Blanc 146 and just a bit smaller then my MB 149.
When I took the pen in my hand the first thing that struck me was how light weight this pen is. Its not just light weight for a pen its size but its light compared to pens much smaller then its size. The black resin has a very familiar feeling to it, oh yes it feels like my Paragon and I am happy it does, the Ogiva is smooth in the hand and the HT trim just gives it a nice modern look to it but still very respected and serious.
The white clip is a typical Omas nib with a roller at the end of it.
The cap has the same lovely white Greek keys as the Paragon does. The pen has interesting lines on it (both cap and barrel), this is the Guilloche but Omas also made this pen in a nice clean body. Overall I like this Guilloche pen and I think it adds a very nice touch to the overall look of the pen.
I unscrewed the cap and there was a very familiar nib looking at me. The Ogiva nib is the exact nib I have on my Paragon only the one on my Paragon is a fine and the as mentioned the Ogivaís nib is medium size.
I rinsed the pen thoroughly. I donít think the pen was ever filled only dipped because no ink came out of the pen but there was a nit of ink coming from their feed and nib.
In any case this pen has piston filler (my favorite) and it feels much smoother then my Paragon. It still isnít as smooth as a Pelikan piston but is I would say par with my Mont Blanc pens. It still has a plasticky feeling but I guess Pelikan piston filler has spoiled anyone that used them.
So after a good serious rinse I filled the pen with Waterman Havana Brown and I was amazed how much ink this pen gabbles up, I think it has the biggest ink capacity in my collection.
Anyways I put the nib on the paper and the ink was too watery. I should have expected it, I was impatient and a bit disappointed. On a positive note the nib is S M O O T H just as I expected it to be.
Well after few hours of playing with the pen the ink started to flow in a constant and normal manor and then this pen showed me its true colors. This nib is AMAZING simply nothing short of amazing. Its everything I ask for in a nib. I tip (yet again) my hat to Omas, Bock or who ever is responsible to design this superb nib itís a true masterpiece of design.
Many of the Ogivaís out there were bought from John Mattishaw and he always checks and takes care of every pen that comes out of his shop so it is nice and important to find a pen that came out of a factory and to test it how well it writes without the tweaking of a nib master.

So as you see I am extremely happy so Omas original nib and feed setting are excellent.
The feed is of course ebonite and is of a classic Omas design.
The line the pen leaves on the paper is wet almost very wet (just the way I like), it is an average European medium line but really not too fat. The true magic of this nib is of the information it gives you, it talks to you and is a tour guide of whatís happening all the time. This is the character I love so much. It really is hard to explain or describe and the only way to truly understand and appreciate this nib is by trying it.

As mentioned the pen is light weight. When I unscrewed the cap off it got even lighter, I work well with both light weight and slightly hefty pens. Different weights on a pen make me feel different and changes the way I write.
This pen is both big and light and thatís great. Even though it is light weight it feels very solid. The pen is very well made. It actually feels more solid in the hand then my Paragon.
You can feel the pen is made of good material and may I say it somehow reminds me how my Mont Blanc 146 feels. The body is very smooth and the pen is perfectly balanced while writing with it with weight almost evenly distributed between the top and bottom.

Conclusion

I really tried to be calm and look for both the good and the bad in this pen but really I loved it so much that the only thing I think Omas could improve in regard to this pen is to make the piston filles less plastic like but this is really a VERY small think if you look at this pen as a whole.
This pen is one level about any other pen I have tried (except my Paragon) in its writing characteristics. It is light weight, very classic looking and very well made.
It holds a TON of ink is well balanced and the icing is the nib, itís simply the best of the best.

Attached Images

• Picture_002.jpg
  • Picture_001.jpg
  • Picture_003.jpg
  • Picture_008.jpg
  • Picture_004.jpg
  • Picture_007.jpg
  • Picture.jpg

Respect to all

Sponsored Content

#2 Rufus

Rufus

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2008 - 17:13

Very good, comprehensive review of an excellent pen, Goodguy. For the sake of transparency and full disclosure, however, I must declare a conflict of interest: I am the guilty party who introduced Goodguy to the Omas Ogiva Guilloche at the March meeting in Cambridge. I purchased mine from Mottishaw, so right out of the box it wrote perfectly and after several weeks of use it is one of my best writing pens. It's right there with my Bexley Americana from Richard Binder, my Bexley Fifth Anniversary in BCHR, my Glenmont from Brian Grey with a lucious 14k Bock nib and my Parker Duofold Centennial with the nib tweaked by Richard Binder; trying to decide which of these lovely pens is the best is an invidious excercise, so I'll leave it at that. What really attracted me to this pen is the Guilloche design, which I find stunning, and it's a piston-filler. The fit and finish of the pen is excellent and although it is a large pen, it's not over-sized. Unposted (and I never post) it is light without feeling insubstantial and perfectly balanced. Put simply, it's a darn nice pen and there was no way Goodguy was going to get his paws on mine no matter how hard he begged me, and boy did he beg. Goodguy, I'm very pleased that you were able to acquire an Ogiva Guilloche so quickly, as I was becoming concerned about the separation anxiety you seemd to be suffering after handling my pen at the March meeting.
Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

#3 omasfan

omasfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,503 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 17:16

I love the Ogiva a lot, too. I own the demonstrator version of your pen, and it's one of my very best writers.
Now, here is one penny for your thought, though: The Ogiva is based on the Paragon. It uses exactly the same nib and the same hard rubber feed. If you want to try, you can even screw the Ogiva cap on your Paragon and vice versa. They fit perfectly and snugly.
Other than that, I agree with you about the light weight and the great performance of the Ogiva. It's an outstanding pen. Unfortunately, Omas doesn't make it anymore. It's also the perfect pen for those who would like to try an old-style Omas but who don't like the faceted design of the Paragon. The resin and demonstrator models have a fluted barrel whereas the celluloid version comes with a smooth barrel wall without any flutes.

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2008 - 18:11

congrats on your new pen and may it bring you years of writing pleasure thumbup.gif

Edited by georges zaslavsky, 12 April 2008 - 18:12.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Juan in Andalucia

Juan in Andalucia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 20:16

My 2 MoMAs have nibs which seems like yours; mines are F and are great writers. The MoMA is a minimalistic version of your pen. Foe some arcane reason is the only *big* pen that feels comfortable in my hand; the paragon is too big for me. All my faceted Omas (3) are milords.

Juan

#6 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,261 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 00:42

Wow, nice pics!

#7 Bill Smith

Bill Smith

Parker and Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 1,310 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the west end of Greater Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:21

Nice review Amir, I have an Ogiva HT with a nice wet medium nib for about four years now and it never fails.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

#8 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:25

QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Apr 14 2008, 01:21 AM) View Post
Nice review Amir, I have an Ogiva HT with a nice wet medium nib for about four years now and it never fails.

Come to the Cambridge pen meeting on the 19th and bring the Ogiva with you,we can see which Ogiva writes nicer lticaptd.gif
Respect to all

#9 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:45

Whew! unsure.gif

Goodguy, I have to tell you, I was rather worried that the nib on your Ogiva wouldn't match the nib on the one you tried at the pen club meeting. What a relief that it met your expectations! smile.gif

I just finished reading the thread you started about from whom you purchased the pen and who its previous owner was. What a lovely story; thank you for sharing it with us. This is obviously a special pen and it seems like it definitely wound up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it for a long time. Enjoy using your lovely Omas pen!

P.S. Almost forgot to say "thank you" for the great review and photos! embarrassed_smile.gif

Edited by Maja, 14 April 2008 - 08:47.

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#10 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• 1,515 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 00:59

Wow, nice pen...may it give you lots of pleasure-it looks beautiful-you should give us a writting demo too!
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

#11 Ronin

Ronin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 19:34

A great review and great pics. Many thanks.

I have one coming with a EF nib. Any thoughts on Omas EF nibs anyone?

Ronin

#12 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2008 - 19:39

QUOTE(Ronin @ May 11 2008, 07:34 PM) View Post
A great review and great pics. Many thanks.

I have one coming with a EF nib. Any thoughts on Omas EF nibs anyone?

Ronin

All I can tell you is that the nib I have on my Omas Paragon (identical to the one on the Ogiva) is FINE and it feels almost as wide as the MEDIUM one I have on my Ogiva.
So I would expect the EF you will have on your pen to be closer to a true fine.

Edited by goodguy, 11 May 2008 - 19:40.

Respect to all

#13 gemu

gemu

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2008 - 17:23

Hello goodguy,

I can only confirm your opinion. I also like very much to write with my standard OMAS Ogiva. It has a medium nib which is very flexible. The only weak point is, that I can't see how much ink is left. Therefore I learned to fill it all four days.

gemu

#14 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2008 - 20:55

I am writing an update of my feeling after about 2 months of use of the pen.
The honeymoon is over and I dont go gaga every time I look at the pen and guess what this pen is still an AMAZING writer.
It is a superb user and I cant tell you enough how great this pen is.I cant stop writing with it as it flows like a dream on paper but still remains responsive.

If you look for the perfect user the Ogiva and Paragon (old style) are as close to perfection as can be cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif cloud9.gif

Edited by goodguy, 14 May 2008 - 20:56.

Respect to all

#15 Doug Add

Doug Add

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2008 - 00:10

I wrote with my friend's Guilloche and, like you, was immediately smitten. His is a fine nib, tuned to his specs by John Mottishaw. I wanted one! Maybe one of these days I will get one, because it is a beautiful pen and fantastic writer.

Glad to hear you are so pleased with yours!

#16 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:15

QUOTE (Doug Add @ May 16 2008, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wrote with my friend's Guilloche and, like you, was immediately smitten. His is a fine nib, tuned to his specs by John Mottishaw. I wanted one! Maybe one of these days I will get one, because it is a beautiful pen and fantastic writer.

Glad to hear you are so pleased with yours!

So did you get the pen in the end ?
Respect to all

Sponsored Content

|