Wality Pens

hari317

Try a tad of silicone lubricant on the threads of the section. :rolleyes:

I have had terrible experiences with Wality. I bought an eyedropper Wality, which kept leaking and dropping blobs of ink. I thought this was a defect in my pen, but the replacement sent to me had the same exact problem. It's a good pen in theory, I suppose.
Edited by gregkoos

Greg Koos

Bloomington Illinois

USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.

Adlai E. Stevenson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Hughes

• kudzu

• hari317

• Jimmy James

I have a piston one on the way from Antonio. I will be interested to see how it does. I may leave on my desk at work rather than carry back and forth until I see how it behaves. Maybe it's just a matter of burping it really well (e.g. three drops) when filling?

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I wonder if there's a greater likelihood of an eye-dropper having those fits than the piston fill. Mine's piston - and it performs flawlessly. But why should that make a difference?

Two reasons

1. the piston filler is (theoretically) factory sealed. The eye-dropper is only as well sealed as the threads are sealed. An incomplete seal that allows air in will cause excess flow. Silicon Grease can help with this a great deal, as Greg mentioned.

2. the eyedropper, when partially full, holds a huge bubble of air in the barrel, much more than the piston. If thermal expansion of air is the culprit (and there is some debate over whether it will have that impact) then there is much more air to expand.

But Wality pens also have a very simple and basic feed that does not have much surface area to capture excess ink flow and spread it out for writing. I have improved the performance of two of my Wality pens by replacing the feeds with deeply combed Sheaffer feeds, one from a Sheaffer School pen (which are incredibly cheap on ebay).

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

It was nice to read on Richard's interesting blog that he found the Walitys had good potential. It would be really a nice thing if the Walitys are made even better as is being planned. Some things on my wishlist are:
  1. Divide the ink chamber into two compartments like in the Pelikan Level to take care of overflow problems along with a safety shutoff like the Japanese EDs?
  2. Have a lucky curve kind of arrangement to solve the blobbing problems and also to make the pen flight safe.
  3. Have a gold nib as an option.
what is your wishlist?

Best,

Hari

Probably the main problem with Wality pens is availability. There are not many online shops around that sell them.

Hi,

Writing with my Wality has been like dining with a guest who has Tourette's Syndrome. You know, the brain-wiring glitch that causes uncontrollable outbursts of loud cursing? The pen writes extremely well until suddenly it drops a huge glob of ink onto the paper for no obvious reason. 

Clearly anyone's success with one of these pens is going to be a matter of luck. Keeping a log of which weather conditions the Wality likes & doesn't like might help.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, this had me sniggering uncontrollably. I haven't had these problems, but can see they might occur. One of the thingsI love about Wality's is their idiosyncracies, and the weather in Ohio must suit them. I'm not so daring as to actually carry them around however, which might help.

cheers

eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

I've had the burping problem with 3 Walitys, 1 eyedropper and 2 piston fillers. Otherwisse they would be great pens at a great price.

The Danitrio Fellowship