Hi there!

Pendragon

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the world of fountain pens, but have found the posts here at Fountain Pen Network to be most informative and helpful. I almost didn't register, as I won't have time to participate regularly for the forseeable future. The primary reason for my finally doing so is to say thank you to all the folks here.

Although I had seen some very nice fountain pens on display from time to time, I never really gave them a second thought. Ball point and roller ball pens always wrote well enough and cost only $1.50, so why change?

A few years ago, a friend mentioned that someone she knew collected fountain pens. "Collecting fountain pens? Rather surprising...people collect all sorts of things these days" I thought to myself. A few months ago, I passed a gift shop in the local shopping mall. Remembering the story of the pen collector and needing to kill some time, I went inside just to see what kind of fountain pens they had on display.

Sitting on top of the case with the pens was a stack of books titled Collectible Fountain Pens by Juan Manuel Clark. It was inexpensive and had pictures of the most amazing pens, so I purchased a copy. Its pages contained images of such beautiful objects, many are truly works of art. Even the most unadorned pens seemed to be the embodiment of quality and craftsmanship, something increasingly rare in our do-it-cheaper, throwaway society. Then on page 205 I saw a Waterman Edson, and from that moment on was determined to start writing with a fountain pen if at all possible. After seeing a pen like that, how could one not be instantly converted?

Being a lefty, the possibility of making a big mess was a distinct possibility. Could lefties use fountain pens? A Google search on the tems "fountain pen" and "southpaw" led to one of Southpaw's posts, which showed that that indeed we could. Many other posts here proved equally helpful, with the end result that I now write with fountain pens to the exclusion of all else (currently a Pelikan M215 and a Hero 100).

I hope this post isn't too long winded. Thanks again for all your help.

Pendragon

Edited by Pendragon

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• Carrie

• Pendragon

• satrap

Being a lefty, the possibility of making a big mess was a distinct possibility. Could lefties use fountain pens? A Google search on the tems "fountain pen" and "southpaw" led to one of Southpaw's posts, which showed that that indeed we could. Many other posts here proved equally helpful, with the end result that I now write with fountain pens to the exclusion of all else (currently a Pelikan M215 and a Hero 100).

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Glad you found us! FPs and lefties go great together - we have quite a few here. Right ink, right paper, right nib - wonderful!!! Hope your time constraints will ease in the near future and you can participate more. Regardless, enjoy!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Pendragon

Welcome to the FPN society :D yeah i agree with southpaw.we have a little people here.You'll be find your best fitted to yourself soon.

Take Care and Welcome again,

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

:lol: So, our own "Southpaw" is an Internet celebrity? :lol:

Good on ya, SP!

Welcome to FPN, Pendragon! :D

Your intro was perfect. Don't worry about being long-winded around here. Some people post long posts and some shorter posts...It's all good :)

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Hello Pendragon and welcome to the FPN! :D I hope that in the future you have more time to spend here and at the local pen store. Likewise, if you have a chance, there might be a pen show in your area, and believe me they are well worth attending. You never know what kind of a deal you can find at such events.

I too like the Waterman Edson, but have got around to buying one. Maybe someday I will, but I have a Pelikan M1000 to buy first. B)

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

welcome pendragon. cool name! B) another lefty here. long live the brotherhood of lefties!

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

welcome pendragon! lots of great information here and i guess the people are ok too :lol: .

stop back when you can.

enjoy your FP's in good health!

all the best :D ,

Jason

Pendragon, that was some creative thinking on your part to search "southpaw!" Glad you found us...And kudos to Southpaw for coming up with a "useful" screen name. :)

Many of us have time constraints. Just check in when you can.

Best, Ann

P.S. I, too, am a lefty.

Hey Ron, how are you? FYI: Pam is having a monster sale on that Edson! :o

www.oscarbraunpens.com

:D

satrap

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.