My new 0.8 mm stub nib from Richard Binder

Jeff Muscato

I just got a 0.8 mm (steel) stub nib from Richard Binder, and it's not quite what I expected. Per his site's descriptions, I suppose I thought that a stub would be smoother and rounder than a cursive nib, and easier to write with. I find that its sweet spot is smaller than my other Pelikan cursive italic nib (from Pelikan, not him) and that it feels sort of scratchy. Do his nibs normally have more tooth than some others? (This is just one from his list, not a custom one.)

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff Muscato

• BruceW

• Phthalo

• jrhudgins

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I have had two of Richard Binder's Pelikan steel nibs, a 0.9 cursive italic that was slightly scratchy (and responded to polishing with micromesh), and a 1.0 stub that was smooth as glass and wet. I would call him about yours.

JR

So far I have had two of Richard Binder's Pelikan steel nibs, a 0.9 cursive italic that was slightly scratchy (and responded to polishing with micromesh), and a 1.0 stub that was smooth as glass and wet. I would call him about yours.

JR

Thanks. According to his site, he's at a pen show right now. I'll probably call him when he's returned, though.

Did you polish the scratchy nib or did he?

JR

I have the same experience as JR, except with a 0.9 CI and a 0.7 CI, both from Richard Binder. I polished the 0.7 myself with good results, but it is easy to ruin them if not experienced or exceedingly conservative and careful. I did ruin another CI nib and had to reshape it. Big sigh of relief when it actually turned out OK.

BruceW

There are times when you know the truth, and it is liberating. But other times you are so used to the shackles that you wait for the truth to vanish like a dream at waking.

Are the tines aligned? That's always my first question when someone complains of scratchiness. Get out ye olde loupe and have a look-see.

Hmmmmm - wish I hadn't seen this thread now. I am about to send Richard three Parker Duofold nibs I can't use for smoothing or retipping. I'm a bit worried now. Long way from Australia to USA - add the freight and its not an inexpensive exercise. I have three nibs I can't use so I suppose it is worth a small investment to have them reworked. There is another nib guru mentioned here often - maybe he is a better alternative for me.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Richard Binder is both an excellent craftsman and a very reasonable man; I certainly wouldn't hesitate to send anything to him for repair or reshaping, and I imagine that he would be perfectly fair in addressing any problem with a pen that had left his workshop. No affiliation -- just a very satisfied customer.

sorry, double post

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I agree completely with Italicist.

Richard and Barbara are a charming couple, on who I would rely completely, after really quite a short acquaintance.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

JM, did you follow Binder's advice on his web site regarding installation?

I've seen several instances where aligned tines become misaligned after installation. Typically, it doesn't happen when the job's done "to spec." It usually happens when the nib is allowed to rotate on the feed during tightening (and that can be caused by too loose a grip or by overtightening), or the meat of the thumb is allowed to place any pressure at all on the tines near the tip.

Hate to say this, and I know some folks are going to go a little nonlinear when they hear this, but a loupe really is required for a proper post-installation check.

I know Richard is at a show, and I know it can be disappointing to receive a nib that doesn't live up to expectations, but I think these kinds of complaints are best dealt with with the person in question, not on a public forum. There are any number of reasons why your nib might be scratchier than expected, and not all of them have to do with Richard's work. I know your message wasn't an angry or particularly negative one, but it's given at least one person reason to reconsider sending pens to Richard, which doesn't seem particularly fair given that no one knows what's wrong with the nib. It seems to me a better way would be to contact Richard, then to come to the board if he's failed to satisfy in some way (which won't happen). For the record, the stubs I've used form Richard have all been smooth. As others have mentioned, I would check the alignment of the tines. Another possibility is that Richard sent you a cursive or sharp italic by mistake.

Hope your nib issue works out,

David

I'll still be sending mine - a little research here shows that the compliments re his work far outweigh any queries. I had the luxury of having been given half a dozen Duofold sections and nibs from a mate in the industry quite a few years ago. Most of them aren't smooth enough for me to use so they need work. I tried smoothing one myself and just couldn't get it right. So they have sat unused for quite a time. FPN has introduced me to the world of nibmeisters so I have resurrected them and will send a few for Richard to rework. Mind you the 19 week turnaround is rather daunting. Can't remember waiting that long for anything material - but probably the best reference to the quality of his work.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I'm a big fan of Pelkans and stub/oblique/italic nibs. I have many from RB and other nibmeisters. Despite similar descriptions, no two are the same, and their individuality is a pleasure. In my time, I have had one nib (among many beauty's) from both masters which I didn't feel was satisfactory, and they were returned and dealt with quickly and efficiently. Richard and Barbara provide superlative service and always respond to emails promptly. I too am in Australia and have no hesitation sending nibs back & forth, altho' costs are a pain. But like writing with a FP, some patience is required, and ultimately rewarded. Proceed with confidence.

JustinB

I agree that generally Richard's work cannot be excelled by anyone. He is top notch in quality as well as in how he deals with people. I don't know why one of my CI nibs from his stocklist was not quite as smooth or sweet. But since I touched it up with a little polishing, it was just fine and so I never bothered contacting him. I know that if I had, he would have bent over backwards to make sure I was satisfied.

BruceW

There are times when you know the truth, and it is liberating. But other times you are so used to the shackles that you wait for the truth to vanish like a dream at waking.

Just a quick clarification: I in NO way meant to cast any doubt on Mr. Binder's work. His service is excellent and his nibs are wonderful. My one experience may well have been from my error (such as mis-aligning the tines when I installed the nib). I have two pens that I am sending his way soon.

JR

Richard did a great job with my Parker 75 at the Philadelphia show this year. It had a large broad nib that he worked down to a stub. It's now the best nib in my collection...very smooth. I wouldn't hesitate to have him do more work. He is also a very generous and sincere person. If you had an issue with one of his items, I'm sure he would address it directly. You best bet is to contact him and work it out.

Does Pelikan have cursive italics? I thought they only had round nibs, was it a oblique nib you had in your pelikan? Because I think those have a bigger sweet spot.

Best regards,

Jarno.

I have just received my first Binderized nib - a new nib for my Pilot VP. To say I am impressed would be an understatement. Given that the VP is a pen which is generally though to have a good nib as standard, the improvement when using the Binder nib puts the pen into a whole different league.

Richard and Barbara were both thoroughly nice people to deal with, answering my emails quickly and the nib itself was delivered to me in the UK within three days of dispatch. Amazing service. (No affiliation, just a very happy customer)

JM, did you follow Binder's advice on his web site regarding installation?

I've seen several instances where aligned tines become misaligned after installation. Typically, it doesn't happen when the job's done "to spec." It usually happens when the nib is allowed to rotate on the feed during tightening (and that can be caused by too loose a grip or by overtightening), or the meat of the thumb is allowed to place any pressure at all on the tines near the tip.

Hate to say this, and I know some folks are going to go a little nonlinear when they hear this, but a loupe really is required for a proper post-installation check.

I did follow the instructions but I'm by no means an expert. I've removed and installed nibs on my other Pelikans dozens of times but I suppose I could have erred.

I know Richard is at a show, and I know it can be disappointing to receive a nib that doesn't live up to expectations, but I think these kinds of complaints are best dealt with with the person in question, not on a public forum. There are any number of reasons why your nib might be scratchier than expected, and not all of them have to do with Richard's work. I know your message wasn't an angry or particularly negative one, but it's given at least one person reason to reconsider sending pens to Richard, which doesn't seem particularly fair given that no one knows what's wrong with the nib. It seems to me a better way would be to contact Richard, then to come to the board if he's failed to satisfy in some way (which won't happen). For the record, the stubs I've used form Richard have all been smooth. As others have mentioned, I would check the alignment of the tines. Another possibility is that Richard sent you a cursive or sharp italic by mistake.

Hope your nib issue works out,

David

I don't mean to denigrate Richard and, as you said, my post wasn't really negative. If I'd gotten responses that his nibs are (by default) toothier than others, I would have stuck with it for a few weeks and seen how I liked it. As it seems that's not the case, though, I'll try to find a loupe to examine it and/or call him when he returns to his shop. I'm actually a little hesitant to bother him because I bought this steel nib from his ready-to-go list just to try a new kind of nib, so it's not as if it's custom work with which I'm unhappy.

Does Pelikan have cursive italics? I thought they only had round nibs, was it a oblique nib you had in your pelikan? Because I think those have a bigger sweet spot.

Best regards,

Jarno.

Pelikan has recently begun making M200s with steel italic nibs:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-363101S