Hello!

chupie

Hi. I have questions about fountain pens and finally decided to post here! I used to use an old fountain pen in high school that I found. I always enjoyed it. Somehow, that stopped over time. But I am picky about pens. I don't lose the pens I have because if I like one, I keep tabs on it! But today's pens run out of ink and getting "the same kind" is no guarantee it will write the same! So, one day it dawned on me that I *missed* writing with a fountain pen. I have asked for a decent entry level one for Christmas (we will see if I get it), and in the meantime, I bought a 10 dollar Shaeffer calligraphy pen from Barnes & Noble just to get used to a nib again. Instant love. Even my coworkers have said "what pen are you using! It's so clear!" The real secret is, I don't mind some of the more boring aspects of work if I am using a nib type pen! (It's so seductive). So, I am embarking on pens. I would love to begin a simple collection. (I'd love to buy the beautiful expensive ones, but that will have to wait - if ever). In the meantime, I have a question I will post in the general pen section. That's my story. Thanks for listening.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chupie

• M4R1N4

• southpaw

• Slush99

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome chupie!!

I must have at least half a dozen of those Sheaffer Calligraphy pens... I use them all the time for addressing envelopes and just to keep in my purse in case somebody needs some decent writing in a flash!

You will meet a lot of great people on this network and learn just about anything you need to know. Don't hesitate to ask questions and explore the different areas... fountain pens are a lot of fun and they keep you (reasonably) out of trouble.

Well, out of trouble till you start buying bottled ink! :D

Where are you from?

Welcome again,

Marina.

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

I am from Nebraska. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to ink! It's like liquid fabric. I love fabric too but can't sew or anything. Still, I looooove looking at it. I love looking at new paper too. It's all so ..... coooool. It's such a possibility of ANYTHING. I think that is why it's so attractive.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I think you're gonna fit in just fine here! :D

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Hello Chupie and welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse. I can tell that you were born to use these great pens, and will fit in nicely here. Moreover, there is a section on inks and I am sure you will something that appeals to you in that section and enlighten you about what manufacturer offers the ink that is best suited to your taste.

You know, it's interesting that when I was in college, women always noticed that I was using a very cool pen, but most men could have cared less and never payed any attention. I wonder if it's the same at your workplace?

Some of the best places to find inexpensive fountain pens are local pen shows. I think you might be able to score some good bargains at these events.

Wishing you all the best, and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

The real secret is, I don't mind some of the more boring aspects of work if I am using a nib type pen!

My thought exactly! :o

Welcome to FPN, Chupie! :D

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the Sheaffer calligraphy pens. An italic pen is an instant way to improve one's handwriting...or to add some "flair" to one's handwriting. I love Sheaffers :)

Well, our office is largely composed of women, so so far it is just the women who've noticed. I'm pretty sure once my one male boss notices he will say something (I'm a notary - I'd bet money the next time I notarize he'll say something). He is always interested in unusual things.

I was looking around on the net, but I don't think we have local pen shows. So far the only pen shows I see are in big cities (I am in Lincoln NE). If anyone knows how you find out about shows, please let me know. That would be so fun.

I found a couple of inexpensive Charles Hubert pens that I think are beautiful that I believe I will order. If anything, over the last few days I've become just crazy over just looking at pens and reading about them. The Wikipedia entry is fascinating.

Hello! Sounds like you're off to the beginnings of a wonderful addiction . . . ummmm errrr I mean, collection. ;)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)