The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tombow Zoom 980

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 journeyman42

journeyman42

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:11

I am reviewing the Tombow Zoom 980 fountain pen. Please bear with me, this is my first review and my first fountain pen. So there is a bit of a story to go with it.

I bought this pen about 9 years ago. I was looking for something with smooth simple lines and a good metallic finish, and this one fit the bill. However, I had problems form the get-go, which I can now attribute to bad ink. I used some old cartridges I found in a desk I acquired, and received nothing but frustration. So I put it away for many years and forgot about it.

A few weeks ago I found it back and tried it again (using the same ink), and got the same results. This time I came to this forum and researched the issue rather than toss the pen. Following the advice of the excellent resources available here, I cleaned the pen out, got a converter (waterman brand) and bought some new ink. Right now I am using Noodler’s Squeteague and finally after 9 years getting positive results.

Now to the review proper:

Characteristics:
The pen is light weight and thin (about 3/8” in diameter). It is 5 inches in length, 6” when posted. It is made of stainless steel with a brushed finish and a black plastic grip and plastic accents.

The nib is medium sized and made of stainless steel.

The pen (finally) writes well, if a bit on the dry side, but has a good constant flow.

When I got the pen it cost around $40.00, but has since been discontinued. I would not have called it a good value a week ago, but now I am willing to say it is. Its durability make it a good everyday pen which will last for a long time to come without much maintenance.

However, there is one thing I would like to add. This is probably not a good pen for a beginner. I find that the narrow body and the smooth finish on the grip and body make it difficult to grasp properly when you don’t have it quite down. I find that it rotates in my hand when I am writing and the nib stops making proper contact with the paper. But as I continue to practice this is becoming less and less of an issue.

Here are some pictures (of so-so quality), thanks for taking the time to read.

When going on a journey always take your pen.

Sponsored Content

#2 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:16

Glad to see that you managed to get the pen working again smile.gif
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

#3 slimnib

slimnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:55

QUOTE(Readymade @ Apr 3 2008, 12:16 PM) View Post
Glad to see that you managed to get the pen working again smile.gif

Nice ending and good review.

Thanks

Harv

#4 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2008 - 17:53

Thank you on the review.
Its nice to learn and read on less common pens out there.
Respect to all

#5 rufius

rufius

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 18:05

Good to see you didn't give up smile.gif

I haven't heard much on TomBow's but would like to try them sometime when I have some extra cash. Currently though I'm lusting for a Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator - EF wink.gif

-Zac

#6 journeyman42

journeyman42

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 18:26

Thank you for all the comments. I'm glad I could contribute to the forum. I too am glad I kept going with the pen. Since I got it working properly last night I have been using it in every spare moment available. It is s joy. I am even composing my emails on paper prior to typing them up and sending them out.
When going on a journey always take your pen.

#7 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 18:36

I like Tombow. I have a Tombow Zoom -- don't know the model number, a fatter model, shiny, sortv pinstriped chrome. Really great, smooth, fine (extra-fine?) nib, but after using it for a couple, few years, it started to leak a little, from where the nib meets the nib-feed section. It was just enough to convince me to put the pen away. It was a very good writer.

Thanks for the review!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#8 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:38

I don't think we have but one or two Tombow reviews in the database, thanks fot putting up your thoughts on this interesting pen.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Sponsored Content

|