Pilot Custom 845

J-san

Excellent review of the 845 with great pics! I've been watching one on ebay;there are two questions that I have,however:

-Is the pen made of Ebonite?(my impression was that it was acrylic)

-I like to post my pencaps. Would that mar the urushi lacquer if I did?

Again,a great review! :thumbup: :clap1:

John

I believe the cap and body are made of ebonite. I've been posting it ever since day 1 without any marks left on the finish. Just be careful to not twist the cap when posting and I think you will be fine.

I'm glad you all like the review. I really enjoy writing them and taking all the photos. I may have to invest in a light tent soon.

You are correct, this pen is made of ebonite. Pilot does mention this as one of the key selling points of Custom 845 in their Japanese webpage.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/founta...m845/index.html

Please note that "エボナイト" means ebonite.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• J-san

• LouisA

• Immoteus

Top Posters In This Topic

Yours is a very nice pen, thanks for the review.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

I think I commented on this pen before. This is a really fine example of the kind of pen that Pilot does not currently offer in the U.S. If you want one you have to get it from a Japanese supplier or retailer via the internet or in person in Japan. Lately we are starting to see some interesting wares from Pilot being offered in the U.S., e.g., No. 74 and 823. Along with this model I'd like to see the 742 and 743 models and some others not readily available. I hope this is the start of a trend that Pilot is ready to start marketing "Pilot" in the U.S. again, not necessarily feeling that they have to relabel it "Namkiki."

For sure the 845 is a beautiful, well designed, and well conceived pen. Congratulations again.

Edited by Brian

I think I commented on this pen before. This is a really fine example of the kind of pen that Pilot does not currently offer in the U.S. If you want one you have to get it from a Japanese supplier or retailer via the internet or in person in Japan. Lately we are starting to see some interesting wares from Pilot being offered in the U.S., e.g., No. 74 and 823. Along with this model I'd like to see the 742 and 743 models and some others not readily available. I hope this is the start of a trend that Pilot is ready to start marketing "Pilot" in the U.S. again, not necessarily feeling that they have to relabel it "Namkiki."

For sure the 845 is a beautiful, well designed, and well conceived pen. Congratulations again.

There are a handful of Japanese stationary stores in the U.S. that sell this pen. The MaiDo stores, for example, in San Francisco and San Jose both sell this pen and pens that are not normally distributed in the U.S. The prices are not great unless there is a sale but I can stop by anytime. It is also a great place if you need a converter for Pilot, Sailor or Platinum. When there is a sale, the prices can be pretty good. A few months ago, they were selling Pilot 74's (black, burgundy, and demonstrators) for about $100. You can walk in and buy a Pilot Fermo or Decimo or a regular Capless. Now if they would only start selling the Iroshizuku inks.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review. Have the exact same pen and it is an excellent pen. I would venture to say that I like it better than my Montblanc 146 and 149. Way better writer than either pen. It writes the same as my Waterman Le Man 100 with extra fine nib which is my ATF.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

Louis, I'm very curious to know more about what makes you appreciate the 845 over the Montblanc 146 and 149. Those MB pen models are high quality crafted pens and have achieved a significant following among many members of FPN. Not everybody loves them, but there's no disputing that they are reputable. What are the characteristics of the 845 that make you appreciate it more?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Louis, I'm very curious to know more about what makes you appreciate the 845 over the Montblanc 146 and 149. Those MB pen models are high quality crafted pens and have achieved a significant following among many members of FPN. Not everybody loves them, but there's no disputing that they are reputable. What are the characteristics of the 845 that make you appreciate it more?

1. The 845 writes a nice thin dry line and very smoothly I might add. The two Montblanc are so wet that is like writing with a tube of toothpaste even though both are Fine nibs. Both are a bit scratchy. I had the 149 switched from an Extra Fine to Fine because it was almost unusable it scratched and caught on the paper so much.

2. In the hand the 845 has a better feel. I will say that the Montblancs are from the '90s and the "feel" of them does not compare to the "feel" of a Montblanc I had that was from the '70s.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

Well, I had to get one... I had to know what Pilot's flagship pen was all about, seeing as I've been a devotee of Pilot ever since I got myself a Vanishing Point. The 845 is an expensive pen, but wow... is it worth it!

I got my 845 with a broad nib, despite being biased for fine and extra fine nibs. I've used broad nibs in the past. Outside of Japanese brands, they tend to be wetter than I like. I guess it's hard to keep flow from being wet when you edge up in size. Pilot is traditionally Japanese, so a broad is more like a medium. The inlaid nibs from the older Custom series (and in the Silvern series) are generally dry writers, so my hope was that the 845 broad nib would follow suit. But with an open nib design and a big generous feed, I was half expecting the nib to be hopelessly wet. I was wrong...

The Pilot 15 nib is big and beautiful. And when you team it up with a broad tip... wow. This nib is delicious. It's smooth. It's controlled. And if you write with a taller angle, your line becomes more like a western fine. Drop it down to a normal angle, and you've got a buttery smooth medium that's just wet enough. Apply a little more pressure, and now you've got a broad line.

Ah, the nuances of nib design. The simple concept is deceptively complex. Now I understand why so many makers have struggled for so long to find what works... and when the nib shape must change to suit a new body design, they have to start over. The curvature of the nib surfaces and shoulder contours affects the performance, in terms of flexibility, springiness, or stiffness. And whether those characteristics are in a narrow or broad range of pressures and angles.

Fortunately, Pilot has been working with this nib design for a long time. And to me, they've perfected it. Then, they chose wisely to house a two-tone version of it into a beautifully crafted urushi coated ebonite body, adorned it with luscious gold accents (tastefully done--enough to notice but not too much to become "bling"), and crowned it their flagship pen. And I know why. If I were head of Pilot's fountain pen division, I'd have made the same choice. Congratulations on a fine pen, Pilot. :D Worthy enough to stand up to the most celebrated of fountain pen models throughout writing instrument history. :clap1:

Edited by MYU

Nice review, thanks for writing it! I love urushi coated pens and have handled many of the Pilot Namiki range, though I have always been too worried to use them as they are just too decorative to be carried around. The custom looks nice and I actually prefer the nib compared to what I find on the other namiki pens, such as the zoadic series.

I have all the Pilot catalogues, ask me if you need help.

Looking to swap my Noodlers Britannia's Blue Waves

• 2 months later...
I just looked inside the cap of my new 845 and there is what appears to be a ring of dried glue around the first 1/8". It looks a bit like glass fibre or the sort of stuff you use to insulate your loft. Is it dried urushi, I wonder?

Whatever, does anyone else have this phenomenon?

I think this means that your pen is missing a small soft ring of material that is glued into the cap, probably to protect the Urushi if the pen is posted. Mine has the material.

Edited by Idiopathos

I replied in the other Pilot Custom 845 review thread... this "ring of fiber" is by design. It is an extra precaution to help avoid scratching the barrel when the cap is posted. It probably isn't necessary, but Pilot didn't want to take any chances. This isn't something you will readily notice, as it is on the inside of the cap. So... no worries. Your pen is fine. Enjoy it!

• 7 months later...

I love my Broad-nibbed 845 ...can't think why I parted with my previous one!

The only aesthetic criticism I have is the large ball on the end of the clip , which I think slightly spoils the lines.

Otherwise I have nothing but praise for this elegant lovely writer.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• 1 year later...

Is it safe to put the 845 in a shirt pocket with occasional outdoor outing (brisk walk to nearby stores) or to use it at work under fluorescent light all day long? I heard the pen is rather fragile because of the urushi and ebonite combo.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Very nice and understated pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time