What FP to buy ?????

garythepenman

What to buy next ?. This is a serious question.

As I live in New Zealand options down here are limited so I'll have to purchase via the web. I could spend hours "googleing".

The question is what to buy for $US200 or less.

The criteria are:-

Gold broad nib option.

A good size FP.

Older looking style prefered, similar to 1930's if possible.

Any filling system from a bottle, not cartridge only. Convertor OK.

Not fully chrome / metal. Must be coloured.

Any good suggestions welcomed with first-hand knowledge even better.

Over to you ALL. Thanks in advance.

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garythepenman

• pvdiamon

• FrankB

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The Pelikan M600 should be a good one. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Here's my current list for "my next pen"

- Parker 100 (Smoke Bronze GT)

- Lamy 2000

- Pilot/Namiki VP (Red/Gold)

- Sailor 1911M (black or demo)

- Cross Apogee (chrome)

- Sheaffer Legacy (black w/ palladium-GT cap)

These meet your criteria to varying degrees, but I can't seem to make up my mind from among this list either.... :)

Tom

current resident of indecision island...

(and the list just keeps getting longer :))

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

Add the Cross Townsend. I have one with an 18k nib that is as smooth as it gets.

Great value and company.

Regards,

Jeen

Remarkably inexpensive bottle filling fountain pens are made by Wality. Are they disliked such that no one ever mentions them? I bought one on the web a couple months ago and have enjoyed it. Can't go very wrong for $15US or so.

Also, if you are looking for one under $200, I tried out some pens in that range, and was most impressed by the Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe. The EF nib however writes more like a fine to medium nib.

Edited by pvdiamon

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

I am curious what you might mean by "a good sized pen." I hear by that nomenclature larger pen, like a Monty B 149 or a Pelikan M-1000. If my assumption might be true, and under $200 USD is required, then I would suggest a Dani trio raw ebonite "Takumi" (149 size) or "Densho" (longer than a 149). - You would have a good choice of nibs. - These pens are receiving really good reviews. I have a "Densho" with a "Takumi" underway. The Densho is a great writing pen that is a lot of fun to use.

If you have a smaller pen in mind, the Pelikan M-600 is a good choice.

I had never heard of Dani, and when I looked on the web, couldn't find a dealer for the Takumi or Densho. Do you have a site to at least see what the pen looks like?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Thanks for the advice. So far the Sailor 1911 is looking good as is a VP. I'm not sure about the Cross Townsend, isn't it quite slim ?.

Remarkably inexpensive bottle filling fountain pens are made by Wality. Are they disliked such that no one ever mentions them? I bought one on the web a couple months ago and have enjoyed it. Can't go very wrong for $15US or so.

Also, if you are looking for one under $200, I tried out some pens in that range, and was most impressed by the Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe. The EF nib however writes more like a fine to medium nib.

I have a Wality 77C and I love it. Way smoother than my Lamy Safari (although to be fair I think I have a defective nib on that one), generous flow, and it starts up no problem every time. And it's a piston filler which makes it so much better. I use it every day and I'm always pleased at how well it performs compared to how little it cost.

On ebay with a global search you may even find some OMAS Paragon resin models for $200 (the celluloids like Hansgeelens cost around twice as much on ebay). They surely have the right size (the Milord and 1930 models are smaller) and good nibs, too ;) Also the OMAS360 model may be interesting.

Also some Visconti Van Gogh models may be interesting for you, the Visconti nibs are rather wide.

Here is one dealer example (no afiliation)

http://search.ebay.de/_W0QQsassZstbpensQQhtZ-1

(they seem to be legasthenics, sometimes :D )

Edited by saintsimon

I had never heard of Dani, and when I looked on the web, couldn't find a dealer for the Takumi or Densho. Do you have a site to at least see what the pen looks like?

There is a nice review of a DaniTrio "Densho" here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=4784

(The Noble Savage's Danitrio "Densho" review)

and there is a photo of a "Takumi" here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=5574

(halfway down page 1 of Kurt's Ebonite "Mikado" review).

Both Kevin (FPN name: "winedoc") at www.internetpens.net and Joe (FPN name: "zenpen") at www.zenpens.com are authorized DaniTrio dealers.

As for the original question (what non-C/C, larger, coloured, vintage-style FP under $200 to buy), I would have to put in a vote for the Pelikan M800. I love mine :)

Edited by Maja

I am curious what you might mean by "a good sized pen." I hear by that nomenclature larger pen, like a Monty B 149 or a Pelikan M-1000. If my assumption might be true, and under $200 USD is required, then I would suggest a Dani trio raw ebonite "Takumi" (149 size) or "Densho" (longer than a 149). - You would have a good choice of nibs. - These pens are receiving really good reviews. I have a "Densho" with a "Takumi" underway. The Densho is a great writing pen that is a lot of fun to use.

If you have a smaller pen in mind, the Pelikan M-600 is a good choice.

I'll have to second the recommendation for a Danitrio. Great writting pens and the ED holds a ton of ink...

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

OK, my minds made up. I've just e-mailed Kevin re the huge Danitrio ebonite pens. They look awesome and I love the filling mechanism....I think ?.

Thanks All for your imput.

Seasons Greetings from New Zealand where the sun rises first, which means I get to open my pressies before you.

Yeah I'd definetely agree with that.

So many for under $200 but if I had a choice it would be the Danitrio.

Wow! I know I am very happy with my Dani "Densho," but I had no idea my enthusiasm was so powerfully resonated by so many others. Thankfully, those others are more articulate than I and able to convey their reasons for their enthusiasm.

"garythepenman," please let us know when your pen arives and your own thoughts on the pen. Did you choose a "Densho" or a Takumi?" Or did you decide to go over $200 and buy a "Mikado?" What nib?

FrankB, I'm deciding which one, I'm selling some vintage pens so when I know how much I've made I can then place my order. I'll do a write up etc when I get it.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks All for suggestions, links, referrals etc.. I have ordered a Danitrio Takumi with B flexi nib from Kevin.

My decision for the Takumi is that it is a C/C so I don't have to play with the ED and valve flow system, purely for simplicity really. I'll do a brief write up (there's heaps written on the site) on what I find and will include a few pics of hand writing (not that you want to see mine) but to give you an idea of nib on paper plus pics alongside my M1000, Sheaffer Legacy etc....another size thing...

Watch this space.

Gary

ps Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I recommend a Pelikan M-600 or a slightly larger M-800. Those are two classic models you can't go wrong with. ;)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."