Mont Blanc 149-Review

goodguy

i have read in this forum a good number of times, that the RESIN of MB149 is easily susceptible to breaks/cracks and it breaks on falling to ground. could friends explain more about MB 149 resin's developing cracks/break? are all MB 149 susceptible or only those manufactured now or those manufactured during a particular period.

its a very expensive pen and why is it prone to cracks/

please help

thanks

But I frankly expected the resin to shatter or decompose in a short while.

It has been over 12 years since I got that pen, and it shows no signs of decomposition. (However, I do confess that I use them only at home. I still do not trust the resin enough to carry them abroad.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• georges zaslavsky

• MidnightBlue

• mandarintje

Owned more then few MB pens in my time and non broke or cracked.

Some pens were new and some 30+ years.

They say the "precious resin" is more prone to crack if fallen, maybe I dropped one once a MB pen of mine and it fell right on the nib.

Nib is bent and the rest of the pen is safe.

Respect to all

One of these days, or years, I'd like to own my very first MB 149, maybe once I sell off some of my own pens or non-pen items I could finally do so.

I've been admiring the 149 for as long as I can remember seeing one for the first time, never held nor written with one yet having only seen pictures and reviews.

Maybe one day soon I too could find a MB 149 FP pen owned by someone living in Florida, the same state in which I currently reside.

Maybe I could do some bartering/ trading, to once and finally get one to call my very own? Now that would be sweet!

Beautiful pen, thanks for taking the time for the review and the posting of your pictures, I really do appreciate it!

Each time I see one I'm still wanting to get one for myself, so if it's meant to be I know that at some point I will get one to call my own.

Thanks again, for your time to post all this as well.

Enjoy your 149!!!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Owned more then few MB pens in my time and non broke or cracked.

Some pens were new and some 30+ years.

They say the "precious resin" is more prone to crack if fallen, maybe I dropped one once a MB pen of mine and it fell right on the nib.

Nib is bent and the rest of the pen is safe.

+1. My (capped) MB146 flew out of my hand once onto a linoleum floor. No damage whatsoever.

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I have 12 149's now--I know I'm obsessed--but not one has ever cracked or broken--dropped a few of them!

I also love the resin--it feels the best of any other material--i even just got a urushi-finish pen and prefer the resin to the urushi

www.stevelightart.com

• 1 year later...

I have a Shaw currently but it is just too beautiful to write with, especially since it has never been inked up in it's lifetime. I'll probably sell it and get a 149 with an OBB nib.

post-75252-0-43439700-1348439177.jpg

I have a Shaw currently but it is just too beautiful to write with, especially since it has never been inked up in it's lifetime. I'll probably sell it and get a 149 with an OBB nib.

Both the Shaw and 149 are great pens but the 149 is a much bigger and lighter pen then the Shaw.

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

I admit to not being much of a fan of MB pens and nor do I think I'm gonna become one anytime soon, but I appreciate a pretty pen when I see one...and your Queen is one beauty. With the 14k nib, too!

I hope you keep on enjoying it for a lifetime :thumbup:

I'm not your 'friend', bud

Thanks for the review. The 149 is just an iconic pen in my book. I have 2 of them now and they will be a permanent part of the collection. Glad you included your furry friend in the photo op!