Reform Classico, F

Tsujigiri

Reform is a German company that is no longer in existence, but their pens can often be found NOS. They are lower-end pens, but they tend to be good values. I was only able to find this pen from speerbob’s ebay store, but I was intrigued by the low price and piston-filling, so I decided to try one.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/tsujigiri01/IMG_4148.jpg

Build Quality: 6/10

You can tell this is a cheap pen, with the cheap feel to the plastic, clumsy and slightly flimsy-feeling clip, and general lack of attention to detail. The plastic around the ink windows scratches easily, and the plating around the cap band is a little uneven. Still, given that, the build quality is not bad, even not considering the price. It is a perfectly functional pen.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/tsujigiri01/IMG_4151.jpg

Grip, balance, and feel: 7/10

The grip is very thin on this pen, which makes it less comfortable than it could be. The threads are a good distance back, so they don’t make uncomfortable imprints on your fingers like the Pelikan 200 does. The pen also posts well, and is well-balanced. But most importantly, this pen is very lightweight. It’s made of all plastic parts, so you won’t notice the weight when you write with it. Despite the cheap feel it gives the pen, it does make it comfortable to use, and that’s all I could ask for in a budget pen like this.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/tsujigiri01/IMG_4153.jpg

Filling system: 8/10

It’s a plastic piston, so it doesn’t have a very high-quality feel to it like the brass piston on the Pelikan m800 and m1000 have. I found it to be extremely stiff, but then realized that this was because of the age of the pen, and applied some silicone oil. Now, I see that this pen has an extremely smooth piston that doesn’t leak; it appears that the plunger is made of a rubbery material. This is more than I would expect on a pen in this price range, and it certainly sets the pen apart from its c/c counterparts like the Lamy Safari and Waterman Kultur (and even the piston Wality’s, since their pistons cannot compare to this one in functionality). The ink windows are little slots, much like the ones seen on the Montblanc 149 and 146. They work well enough, but for some reason, the ink seems to stick to the plastic on the inside, which negatively affects the readability. Overall, a very functional filling mechanism.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/tsujigiri01/IMG_4152.jpg

Nib: 8/10

This pen features a 2-tone plated stainless steel nib, unadorned except for the company name. It writes fairly well, with some noticeable tooth, but not scratchiness. It lays down a thin, fine line with good consistency. The fins on the underside are thin and can hold excess ink. Surprisingly, the nib unscrews from the body, a feature not expected on a pen in this price range.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/tsujigiri01/IMG_4154.jpg

Value: 10/10

I got this pen for $24 shipped, a good price for a fountain pen. Considering the piston filling, unscrewable nib, threaded cap, sophisticated appearance (it doesn’t have the intentionally cheap look that a lot of “school pens” have), and functionality, I would consider it a very good value. It fulfills all the basic requirements for a fountain pen at a good price. I would consider it my favorite cheap fountain pen, above the Waterman Kultur, Wality 69, Hero 100, or pretty much any c/c IPG nib pen out there.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lisa

• Tsujigiri

• shookfoil

• Rapt

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad someone wrote a review on this pen. I have it too, also from Speerbob but mine is giving me problems. It skips. Speerbob was very surprised to hear this because he has sold hundreds without any problems. So he send me a replacement nib, and that one skips too. :(

I cannot figure out what the problem could be. It seems that the ink does not flow to the nib correctly to the pen. Speerbob ended up refunding me and even though the pen is bad, the experience I had dealing with Speerbob was pleasant and I would deal with him again. :thumbup:

It's just such a shame about this pen. It would have been a great budget pen. Lightweight, piston filler, screw cap, doesn't look cheap or pretentious, nice grip, nice F line (in between the skipping). And mine doesn't have tooth, both nibs I tried are smooth.

Too bad I had to get the one pen out of hundreds that has a problem. :bawl:

BTW, a small question, if you fill the pen and then swap nibs, would the ink start flowing through the swapped nib even if you didn't fill the pen through that nib? This is also a question to all Pelikan owners. Because it doesn't for me with this pen, not even after a few days with the nib placed down. Which gives me the feeling that there's something wrong with the pen body, and not the nib.

Sorry to hijack your thread :unsure:

The nice thing about piston fillers is you can "prime the feed" even if you didn't draw ink in through it, by turning the piston down a little, until ink just comes out the nib.

Easy to do, no waiting.

I also was pleased to see the review. I've been thinking about this pen, but uncertain if I want one.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

As I already have the bad one in the batch I'd say go for it. :D

I tried the priming, there just seems something wrong with the pen itself.

Yeah, it seems like all pens need the nib to get wet to work. The few times I've used cartridges (they came free with the pen, I would never voluntarily buy cartridges when I could use bottled ink) I've had to squeeze them a lot to get the ink down to the nib and flowing. That's odd about having two duds in hundreds, what kind of ink do you use, and how quickly do you write? I've been using Pelikan/Cross ink for all my pens unless they came with their own ink. Also, have you tried writing with the nib at different angles? It could be that you've been writing at the edge of the nib's forgiveness, right at the point when it stops writing. I can't imagine that the body would be causing a flow problem unless it was leaking...

Yeah, it seems like all pens need the nib to get wet to work. The few times I've used cartridges (they came free with the pen, I would never voluntarily buy cartridges when I could use bottled ink) I've had to squeeze them a lot to get the ink down to the nib and flowing. That's odd about having two duds in hundreds, what kind of ink do you use, and how quickly do you write? I've been using Pelikan/Cross ink for all my pens unless they came with their own ink. Also, have you tried writing with the nib at different angles? It could be that you've been writing at the edge of the nib's forgiveness, right at the point when it stops writing. I can't imagine that the body would be causing a flow problem unless it was leaking...

I've tried several different papers, non brand paper but all paper that works with FPs. And Waterman Florida Blue, Diamine Deep Magenta (I'll do a review later if I have the time if anyone wants since there isn't one yet) and Parker Washable Blue. All free flowing inks. I hold my pen like I hold all my other pens about 45 -50 degrees in a very traditional almost tripod grip. Never had problems with FPs due to my grip. I do write fast though.

I've become a bit superstitious. This pen make my feedback score on ebay to 13 and I counted and this is my 13th pen as in different type of pens. (have a few Kulturs and Frontiers and Pelikanos) :roflmho:

I bought one of these (also from Speerbob) and liked it so much that I bought another one (and 2 calligraphs) - to give to members of the family who would otherwise borrow mine. It writes like a dream and beats or equals any other pen I own for smoothness and flow. All 4 of them lay down a smooth fine line and are very pleasant to write with. Clearly, this is not an expensive pen, but it is great value from money.

Hi, Yes, seems like you got the one bad one. I bought 700 of these in a closeout. They are the best selling pen I have ever had. Many people have bought extras and spares because they love them. I'm down to about 50 now. I have never had a single bad one other than yours. It's pretty strange that the original nib and the replacement both skipped. I wonder if it was the pen or ink or something.

They are a heck of a deal and iI still have some in my SPEERBOB eBay store. They have a 100% money back guarantee like everything I sell.

Tsujigiri, thanks for doing the review! Cheers, BOB

Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

http://www.speerbob.com/ebay/SpeerbobBannersmall.jpg

I, too, have bought this pen from Speerbob's store. It had a tendency of skipping at first but then I gave it a thorough rinse and filled it again and voilà! I haven't had any problems with it since then. A great inexpensive pen! Thanks for the review. I have nothing else to add. :)

I agree with LapsangS, those Reforms are just great inexpensive pens, with much more to offer than today's cheapies. If you have a chance, get one and give it a try!.