The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Officina 4 tempi by Mazzuoli

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alfredop

alfredop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 16:23

This is my first pen review, it regards an unusual pen (I found very little on this pen here on FPN): the Officina 4 tempi by Mazzuoli.

First Impression (4/5)
Opening the box the first impression is very positive, the 4 tempi comes in a kit that allows to transform the barrel in a pencil, in a roller pen, in a ballpoint pen and finally in a fountain pen; all the pieces are nicely organized in a black carton box with a magnetic closure. The kit comprises also Schmidt made roller and ballpoint refills, plus pencil leads of various colors (black, blu, orange and yellow).

Appearance (4/5, if you can like this type of pens)
The look of the pen is not traditional, it recalls the look of typical instruments that you can find in a "officina" (workshop); there are different variants of the pen, and mine is the one called madrevite. All the pieces are in alluminium and they fit perfectly to have the writing instruments you choose to use. In my opinion the building quality of this pen is very high.
Of course due to its not traditional look this is not a pen for all person, I suspect that many will not like it for this reason; the pen is also very big and has a good weight, indeed you could think the Officina as a Rotring 600 with steroids.
In conclusion if you like big metal pens you should give a try to this pen (of course look also to the the other variants).
Take also into account that it is almost impossible, due partly to the weight, and partly to the total length, to use the pen with the cap posted.

Filling system

Nothing of particular to say here, the pens use a converter, or the usual international size cartridge.

Nib (3/5)
Due to the brand of the refill used for the ballpoint and the roller, I assume that the nib is made by Schmidt (but I'm not sure about this). It is a steel nib which work very well, it is smooth and gives a sufficiently wet medium line, you can also use the nib on the reverse side to obtain a fine line, but the nib becomes less smooth (although it remains still usable).
At the end the nib is good but certainly is not the strongest point of this pen.

Conclusion
I'm happy with this pen, also for the possibility to use it not only as a fountain pen. Its strongest points are the appearance (if you like it), and the building quality. The nib is a normal steel nib that work well, but will not make any of us to scream about a miracolous.

Finally, I have not yet taken photo of the pens, so as I will just redirect you to the company website

Genny

Sponsored Content

#2 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 16:50

Genny, thanks for the review of an interesting pen. I took a look at the pen and your spot on, it does look like a Rotring on steroids. lticaptd.gif And I do like the look of it. It would be on my list if I were looking for a pen of that type. Nice job on the review.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#3 tipstricks

tipstricks

Fallen in love with flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 16:56

Thank you genny for the well made review (sure we're waiting for your pictures).
Can you tell if "4 tempi" can be purchase in all of the 6 models shown on the site (micrometro, fresa cilindrica, etc)?
What about the grip if it's big, heavy and all in alluminium?
Ciao

#4 chibimie

chibimie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 17:40

Attracted by its good looks, I handled the fountain pen a few years back and felt that it was too large. But they have the Mini sizes now--I wonder which one your fountain pen is?

Thanks for the nice review.

#5 alfredop

alfredop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 18:06

greencobra: Thank you for your comments.

tipstricks: I bought the last in the store, but the seller said me that he could order another model if I desired. Of course this is not sufficient to assert that all the variant are available as 4 tempi. Anyway I see that on other website the micrometro and the fresa cilindrica was marketed as 4 tempi. Regarding the grip, after having used for some time a black Lamy Studio I'm trained to aluminium sections, so as I have not found this a critical point.

chibimie: The pen is not in the "mini" version (probably in the future I will take one also of this type, due to its better portability), and surely is a large pen.

Genny

Sponsored Content

|