Very little talk of Aurora in here

amin

I really like Aurora pens very much!  Sadly, I agree that too little is said about them here on the FPN.  That being said, my experiences with them have been very positive.

FPN is a board who's content is totally created by the members. It's up to every member to step forward and post about what they want to hear about. There is no secret cabal of people deciding what get's posted. ;)

Well maybe there's one secret cabal but it's only got one member and he doesn't tell anyone what to post.:ph34r:

Kurt H

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <ROFL>

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• invisuu

• FriendAmos

• RocketRyan

• Omaslover

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi amin,

I presented my wife with an Aurora 88, medium size and F nib, gold trim a year and a half or so ago, and it is by far her favourite pen. So much so, that I am no teven allowed to come close to it, other than for refilling :D.

Obviously, I did write with it and I think it is an excellent pen (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it for her, of course :D).

Oh, and btw, I just love Italian pens :lol:.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim, nice to see you posting more again! I find it very humorous that you can only touch your wife's pen for filling. Reminds me of my wife's laptop - I'm only allowed to touch it when it needs fixing =].

Wim, nice to see you posting more again!  I find it very humorous that you can only touch your wife's pen for filling.  Reminds me of my wife's laptop - I'm only allowed to touch it when it needs fixing =].

Hi amin,

Well, have been rather busy at work, and will be this week still. I hope to take a break over Christmas, so I should be here at full strength :lol:, although I try to spend a bit more time with my family than on FPN :D.

Regarding the pen: she knows me too well :D. I did make a remark or two on how nicely it writes, you know... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

• 10 years later...

I only have four Aurora pens, all 88s (the real 88,not the new open nib'd bling pen that has that name now) The first pic is of my 1949 88 with GF cap and next is my 1952 88 with GF cap alsoand cap off showing the wonderfully soft/flexible 14k hooded nib. I have two other 88s and am always on the look out for more. :excl:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/michaelintexas/Fountain%20Pens/Aurora%2088_zpspdakxmp6.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/michaelintexas/Fountain%20Pens/Aurora%2088%203_zps38gelhep.jpg

The nib in this last picture sticks too far out; it also looks slightly misaligned, but that might be the perspective.

It should probably be pushed down a bit.

I don't currently own any Auroras, but they are great pens. I've had multiple Optima and 88 pens of the modern variety. In my opinion, they have the best quality control and reliability of any Italian brand--which leaves very little to complain about.

• 2 weeks later...

Aurora is a small, privately held company. They are focused on making great pens, and have been a bit slow in creating a collector base. As a result, with one or maybe two LE releases a year that only add a different color to an existing model, there's not going to be much chatter.

I am loyal to the brand, but I'm not considering buying new models because the ones I have are beautiful, timeless, absolutely functional. I spoke to a salesman once about that, and he said that this made life hard for him. Once you buy an Aurora you're probably going to be happy and not need another one for a long, long time.

I do wish Aurora would hire me as their marketing director (are you listening, Torino?), because I'd begin by introducing a line of new ink colors. The fact that Aurora only has blue and black ink completely represents their conservative philosophy. I'm old-fashioned, too, but not even blue-black? Awww, come on, don't be like that ...

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have an 88 Nikargenta that belonged to my mother when she was studying at the Bocconi University in Milan, circa 1949-1950. It is a great pen, with a juicy and flexible nib that is a pleasure writing and drawing with. My daughter Margherita is quite in love with Aurora, and I am sure we will add a few more along the way.

fpn_1358913962__viene_il_temporale_desta

I'm glad that this thread has been resurrected. Yeah for Aurora! It seems like they are making a push to sell more of their Optimas lately.

I have two Optimas, an 88 and two Archivi Storici - all fantastic pens.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my pens are older, pre-1970. I do have several older 88's. Of modern Aurora, I have two Talentums. One stock Italic and one I ground myself (my afther and uncle were in the trade and I inherited their equipment). I know most do not like C/C fillers, but I write a lot of letters to my great and great-great relatives (grandchildren and nieces and nephews) and find I can write for long periods of time with these pens. They just feel good in my hand.

all the best!

• 1 month later...

I recently joined this community but have been reading/studying a lot of chat topics over the last 6 months. Since getting re-acquainted with fountain pens, I have acquired 5 auroras. I have 3 optimas/L.E. (blue auroloide, africa and ultima lira (silver cap)) and 2 aurora 88 (one second hand modern and one NOP vintage 88p) - all with M nib.

All these pens had several features in common - very useful ink window, piston filling system and lovely nib. Only one has scratchy writing which improved with the use of lubricating ink - but it probably needs some tweaking by a nib meister. I can confirm the experience of others that these auroras are a joy to write with. I am looking forward to getting more auroras when the opportunity arises.

Perhaps a bit of "gender bias". I believe that most FPners are men, and if you look at Aurora's best offering, it's a small ladies' pen---the Optima. A pretty pen, and, I understand, a good writer, but ...

Speaking of Aurora, they are putting out a new, entry level model.

It's the Aurora K

http://www.stilografica.it/writable/Penne/Aurora/K/Aurora%20K%20Black%20Fountain%20pen%20-%20Penna%20Stilografica.jpg

I semi-recently obtained an Aurora (Optima?) 75th Anniversary LE as my first Aurora and now it's one of my favorite pens. Funnily enough, it's one of the larger pens I own, but most of mine are vintage or the less-large modern pens.

I long for another Aurora Optima, but am waiting for a colorway that really speaks to me. The burgundy auroloide is tempting; I like reds and burgundies. Maybe someday, if I can kick the desire for a second Nakaya!

Perhaps a bit of "gender bias". I believe that most FPners are men, and if you look at Aurora's best offering, it's a small ladies' pen---the Optima. A pretty pen, and, I understand, a good writer, but ...

It's not a small pen. Is relatively short compared to its girth, but it's not small. The obsession with oversized pen that seems to prevail in the current market, or at least here, is another thing and has little to do with pens being "gendered".

It's not a small pen. Is relatively short compared to its girth, but it's not small. The obsession with oversized pen that seems to prevail in the current market, or at least here, is another thing and has little to do with pens being "gendered".

It is a small pen, and that has nothing to do with an "obsession with oversized pen". Specs for many common pens will be found here: http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

As examples, how does the Optima compare with the old OMAS Paragon, the Duofold Centennial, or the Pelikan 800?

There is nothing wrong fundamentally wrong with a Ladies' Pen, after all even ladies could use nice pens, but there it is. But it means that there will not be a lot of corresponding "noise" on a male-dominated forum.

Edited by FriendAmos

Over the summer, I bought an Aurora Style Gemstone which I enjoy. So, last week, I ordered a vintage Aurora 88: the new ones are quite out of my price range, but this lovely old one was not. I'm looking forward to receiving it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I semi-recently obtained an Aurora (Optima?) 75th Anniversary LE as my first Aurora and now it's one of my favorite pens. Funnily enough, it's one of the larger pens I own, but most of mine are vintage or the less-large modern pens.

I long for another Aurora Optima, but am waiting for a colorway that really speaks to me. The burgundy auroloide is tempting; I like reds and burgundies. Maybe someday, if I can kick the desire for a second Nakaya!

If you mean the LE 75th Marble Red, it's one of my favorite too!

I know what you mean about the colors. I personally cannot wait for a nice purple from Aurora ...

It is a small pen, and that has nothing to do with an "obsession with oversized pen". Specs for many common pens will be found here: http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

As examples, how does the Optima compare with the old OMAS Paragon, the Duofold Centennial, or the Pelikan 800?

There is nothing wrong fundamentally wrong with a Ladies' Pen, after all even ladies could use nice pens, but there it is. But it means that there will not be a lot of corresponding "noise" on a male-dominated forum.

The Paragon, Duofold Centennial and Pelikan are all large pens (i.e. the vast majority of fountain pens for sale, or per sale volume as you prefer, is significantly smaller than those three pens – the list you linked is nice, but it's far from being complete). The Optima is an average-to-slightly-short-length, above-average-girth, pen. It can, by the way, be posted very securely, and at that point it becomes a pretty large pen as well. It doesn't have any particular element which would make one think of a lady pen, except not being oversize (still, it's not small).

It may be that this forum is dominated by people that like larger pens (maybe not an obsession, but they seem to have a quite strong preference), and that may be part of the explanation of why there is not as much talk of Aurora as some would like, but that doesn't make the Optima either a small pen or a pen targeted at ladies.