Pelikan vs. Mont Blanc

schvitz

I sold my Majesty a few weeks ago, guess you know where this is going, but still have two M1000's in the 'fleet'

Its a very very close run thing for me but owning, and using, five high end MontBlancs I will just fall onto their side.

No great defining issues that make me go that way just personal choice....... now then if I can locate a good M1050 who knows what that might do ! :thumbup:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schvitz

• Kalessin

• FredRydr

• Lam1

It would be intresting to see the responses if this was posted on the MB forum !

Heh. I think I'll do that.

That didn't last long! I guess too may people prefer Pelikans :)

No, it's just that the Montblanc fans are more violent.

Fred (owns both for good reason)

Its like comparing BMW's and Porsche's. Both are fine works of engineering and each have their fans for one reason or another.

I own many Pelikans and just as many if not more Montblancs. I thoroughly enjoy them both. The Montblanc Agatha Christie is a joy to carry and use as is my 1950's Pelikan OB nibbed Tortoise 400. Both are luscious! The Agatha is gorgeous due to its design as is the Tortoise Pelikan. Neither pen can be the other. That is why I own both.

It all makes choosing a pen for the day a sublime affair.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

I owned a black MB 146 for a while with a fine nib, I liked it but did not love it. I think Rick Propas makes the perfect analogy, Mont Blancs are like Mercedes Benz, while Pelikan is like BMW. I guess I am more of a Bimmer fan. I have 15 Pelikans, I think that speaks volumes.

Bear in mind I had a modern 146, a vintage version from the 1950s are different beast so I think I might reserve my judgement.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I have a 400, and a MB starwalker set.

Generally the 400 is my carry pen, and the MB's are my desk pen.

(but my best writing pen is a 30's scheaffer)

they are good pens with many advantages, and either could serve a person well.

I sold my Majesty a few weeks ago, guess you know where this is going, but still have two M1000's in the 'fleet'

Its a very very close run thing for me but owning, and using, five high end MontBlancs I will just fall onto their side.

No great defining issues that make me go that way just personal choice....... now then if I can locate a good M1050 who knows what that might do ! :thumbup:

Pen Nut has 2 M1000's! Thats' really greedy, Sell one to me!!

I have one 1 MB149 circa 1970s and 5 Pelikans. The 149 is a great writer and it would take a M1000 to part it from me but I do love my Pelikans more. Saying that let's not post this on the MB or the knives will be out for us!

Ronin

I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. I'm not happy with any of my Pelikans.

First, with the price difference between MB and Pelikan there will always be more Pelikan owners to offer comments. Until about nine months ago I avoided MB because of the cost and the opinion that they are just overpriced and have problems, break, etc.

Since then I have bought three MB pens and am very happy with all of them. All four of my Pelikans sit unused because of various problems. Now I know that I could have all of the problems fixed, ranging from scratchy nibs to pistons that are too loose or too tight. Just to salvage one of them I'm going to buy a Richard Binder nib.

On the other hand, they are a bit boring as they are all the same design with some variation in resin color. When Pelikan attempts something new--a new design platform--they seem aesthetically challenged. I'm referring to the Niagara Falls and Sahara pens. MB seems to have a much surer hand with design. Their culture seems to value design more highly, so if you like fresh design I think you have to gravitate toward MB. And despite all of the vitriol heaped on them for designing cuff links, necklaces, etc., those products and the design activity behind them gives their staff a different and I would say bolder and fresher perspective.

That said, the most important thing for me is the way my MB pens write. In fact, I dropped my blue Starwalker nib about three feet down on a concrete floor at Lowes and it hit point first. I thought it would be dead for sure. I pick it up and though the nib is pushed back into the section about 1/32 to 1/16 inch, it still writes as smoothly as it did before. I examined it under a 10X loupe and there is zero hint of damage. Frankly, I'm amazed. I'm also amazed by how beautiful the deep blue lacquer over the guilloche is when seen in daylight.

Users on the MB forum have already been directed over to this thread, as many of us also like and own Pelikans. People might be surprised to find that we're a pretty diverse and down-to-earth group over there, not snobbish about the brand, and tend toward discussion rather than any kind of violence. We like the pens, not the marketing.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I have and like both brands, and both offer great writing experience. My Pelikans are more practical with their easily swapped nibs, while my Montblancs are more beautifully designed and exude sensuality. When the pens are finished their task and all that's left is ink written on paper, how are you to tell which pen is "better"? It's kind of a silly debate, like Ford versus Chevy. Might as well argue whether black or white is prettier.

Oh well, let me just say this. I like my Montblancs better. But its an emotional response, not a practical one. (Thank God you left the Italians out of this Hobson's choice.)

Fred

I own five vintage MB (3 MB149s and 2 MB146s) and one older style 1987 Pelikan 800. My Pelikan with its full flexible medium nib is quality wise the same as my 35 years old MB 146 with its medium full flexible oblique nib. I have also handled a m1000 which is despite somewhat lighter than any of my 149 a very good pen. Both brands make real and useable daily writers not hangar queens.I like both brands equally.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have both, Pelikan and MB but the Pelikans are daily users, the MBs don't see much use at all.

Pelikans are anything from 50s 400 up to the recent M 400. All of them nice, but I prefer the vintage pens.

The most recent MB is a 144 and it is the worst of all MBs. Does not start at all after a day without use. :sick: I have vintage MBs that work much better. Two 342s get some use and my Meisterstück 14 is a great pen. But still, if I had to choose only one pen, I would choose a vintage Pelikan 400.

• 8 years later...

I carry a M805 nude when I'm wearing jeans, aaah but when I wear a tuxedo nothing looks as good as a Montblanc! They are excellent writers I love them both!

Remember, both these firms made WRITING instruments prior to the mid '80s. BOTH firms sadly make Pocket Jewelry today. I would and don't own any pens made by either one of these firms made prior 1985 for the Pelikans and 1970 for the Montblancs. Both firms made beautifully writing pens made with equal quality at those times. MB just did a better marketing job, price wise, for it's pens as they were not better than Pelikans .

Remember, both these firms made WRITING instruments prior to the mid '80s. BOTH firms sadly make Pocket Jewelry today. I would and don't own any pens made by either one of these firms made prior 1985 for the Pelikans and 1970 for the Montblancs. Both firms made beautifully writing pens made with equal quality at those times. MB just did a better marketing job, price wise, for it's pens as they were not better than Pelikans .

Perhaps you could use a bigger font.

I disagree with your conclusions. I like the 80s to 90s pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Perhaps you could use a bigger font.

I disagree with your conclusions. I like the 80s to 90s pens.

Is this better :lol: Every one has their opinion but as far as what is made by BOTH firms today. I would not waste my $$ :excl:

Edited by Monbla

It's a matter of preference. Some prefer MB, some Pelikan. Each one has it's quirks. Having owned both, I do like Pelikans a tiny bit more than the MB because of the myriad of choices I have. My favorite MB model is the 146. But that's available in just a couple of trim options and once there was also a burgundy version. That's it. Pelikans are available in so many options, trims, colors etc. Pelikans are also sightly more ornate than MBs.

Writing performance in my experience has been at par. Both are wet and smooth with just a hint of tooth. MB is usually a bit more expensive than Pelikan, the 146 lists for $705 and goes for $635 while the M800 lists for $760 and goes for $608 (Source: Fountain Pen Hospital catalog). Not a huge difference but the choices are more with Pelikan. Via back channels both pens can be had for considerably lower prices.

Is this better :lol: Every one has their opinion but as far as what is made by BOTH firms today. I would not waste my $$ :excl:

They are expensive. Big money. In 1983 I bought a MB 146 for $151 and a 144 for $135. In 1990 the price for a 144 was $190. A few other 144s I bought used and a 146 also. All the Pelikans I bought were used. Some were good buys, but I think the new prices are too high for the kind of value you get.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Are there any modern pens made today you do like, or is vintage your thing?

That is patently not true. Both firms still make fine writing instruments but there is a difference. MB make very high quality but vastly overpriced pens to match their main business which is selling luxury accessories, watches, leather goods etc. Pelikan make high quality pens in a range of prices from luxury (M1000, M800 etc) to affordable writing instruments for day to day use. The other advantage of Pelikan is the ability to change nib units. I don't think Pelikan could ever be accused of selling "Pocket Jewelry". The quality of both MB and Pelikan is the same today (if not better) than in the 1970s. I have several of both brands both old and new and I prefer Pelikan. As I said the main problem with MB is that they are aimed at a luxury market not for pen users. Pelikan have not made that mistake.

Peter

Both manufacturers make great pens, then and now. Nobody could be faulted for liking one or the other or even both. I've used both and have obviously chosen to favor the Pelikan brand over Montblanc but not because the one wasn't worthy. Montblanc was simply priced too high for me to get into at the time. Pelikan also had more variety of styling/intriguing finishes, interchangeable nibs, unbelievably well balanced pens, and an amazing piston mechanism with great ink capacity. I'm sure many comparable arguments could be made for Montblanc. The nice thing about this hobby is the variety of instruments out there. Certainly there is something for everybody's taste.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan