Pelikan vs. Mont Blanc

schvitz

I've owned both, two Mont Blancs first, and now [thanks to having lost my first one] my second Pelikan, a Souveran 400M.

IMO, Pelikan makes a far superior writing instrument that makes writing a pleasure [even with my crappy penmanship].

I choose my first Pelikan almost by accident. When I saw the store display I immediately recalled my engineering days more than half a lifetime ago. All the engineering department's draftmen used Pelikan equipment. I have small hands; so I tried the Souveran 400, found to be a comfortable and silky smooth writer, and walked out of the store pleased with my purchase.

Today, I emailed Lai at Pen Gallery to ask if he also had in stock the Souveran in red/black [reminiscent of my childhood Esterbrook]. He said 'yes.' So, pleased with the outcome of my first purchase, I just ordered it. I'll probably fill it with red ink for grading papers.

Schvitz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schvitz

• FredRydr

• punch

• pajaro

I have tried few MB's that wrote anywhere near as well as the worst Pelikan I have tried.

I have a M600 wearing a M400 fine nib that is my perfect pen.

I have 4 Mont Blanc Pens and 12 Pelikans. I never leave the house without one or two Pels! I rotate the MBs in every so often. I like both brands but I really like my Pelikans!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I haven't had enough experience with MB to compare. I had trouble with the 146 piston - the shape of it was harder for me to crank than a Pelikan piston. Too conical. Past that, while the nibs seem to be springy and that is probably something lots of MB fans like, I couldn't detect any practical differences in quality. The 146 was certainly heavier than my Pels but I don't think that's a fair comparison because I've never tried an 800 (which I think is closer in size/weight.)

I like the look of both brands (though LEs of any brand rarely impress me) and have to admit I wouldn't mind being able to afford a burgundy Mozart. Doubt I ever will but...

On the Pelikan front, I just received a 150 in the mail. Have never had one and this was a nice opportunity to try this smaller Pelikan. It's a broad nib, unusual for me but this one is not so broad that it is unsuitable for my handwriting. Smooth as silk (big surprise. not.) and very comfy. Feels like a perfect pen for those long writing sessions. Don't have to think about the nib angle or flow, it does all the work.

Edited by KCat
because

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I own both. My pelikans (an M400 set with a medium nib and pencil and ballpoint, and an M600 set with a broad nib and a ballpoint) right now are all modern, and my Montblancs are all at least 20 years old (a 149 with a fine nib, a #32 with a fabulous oblique-broad nib, and a Slimline set with a medium nib and a pencil and ballpoint).

I find the quality to be comparable, and enjoy using all of pens each for their own quirky writing reasons. The Pelikans right now are the ones that go to work with me most often, and also the MB slimline set. The other MB's have much more sentimental value, and so they rarely leave the house.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

MB149 compare to pel1000:

the only battle where MB beats pelikan is design - there is Mb a 100% winner,

on the other side the pelikan wins by performances, price, ...

I first bought an M215 and it was less than satisfactory. The nib kept loosening and my hands are blue with Noodler's Ottoman Azure from trying to finally make it work properly. My next pen was a bit of a step down: an M75 Go! bought off of ebay. That was an awesome buy. It writes far better than the M215, though it puts much more ink on the paper. It's just a hardier pen overall and, at $15 a pop, it's okay if I lose it or break it. My most recent acquisition (2 years ago!!) was an M800 with a Fine nib. Ohh my. Now this pen is awesome. I love the ink flow and the mild flex in the nib. It is nothing but heaven when servicing or filling it. While in my pocket during the day, it doesn't bleed, sweat, or do any other unsavory things that fountain pens are wont to do. In comparison to my 149, it is a dream. The 149, while aesthetically pleasing, is just not the same. It may be heavier and easily attained for $700 (waste in my opinion), but it is no match for the #2 German pen. Pelikan!!!!!

My Pelikan M 800 is the hands down winner over my MB 149 and 146. The MBs are plagued with problems and I pitched the 149 when it broke in half and couldn't be repaired.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

My problem with the Pelikans is that they too lightweighted and i like heavy pens...

Mark Kotliar

http://www.pipeandtea.com/img1/kafka.jpg

I have a MB 145 chopin platina in medium. It looks nice, trough the nib is a bit small compared with the pelikans. I don't use is as a daily writer. I only take it now and then with me.

Have to say, the MB is a real smooth writer. I think this is also due to the medium nib. Don't have experience with fine nibs (all my pelikans are fine) so can't make a good comparising with both.

The MB is as long as my m600, but the the handeling is more m400 like. The MB major downside is its price. € 200 for the pel m400 compared with € 350 for the MB.

Also, a big downside for me is the high price of changing nibs on the MB. From the M nib to a F nib costs € 130 euro. And you than only have one nib.

But, nevertheless I bought one and like it.

I also do really notice MB is a lot more known by the public. Someone even asked me if my pelikan m420 is a MB......No its not!

Pelikan nut

These are BOTH excellent pen brands. I can't really say that one is "better" than the other. I can say, however, that Pelikan is more reasonably priced than Montblanc.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

My Pelikan M 800 is the hands down winner over my MB 149 and 146. The MBs are plagued with problems and I pitched the 149 when it broke in half and couldn't be repaired.

My first MB was a piston model which also broke in two after a couple of years.

I've never tried a Mont Blanc..they are quite pricey, at least the high end models we have around here. However I have a Pelikan Souveran M400 I truly love and enjoy! It's incredibly light and beautiful so I totally agree with your assessment about Pelikans. You got any pics of your pen? I got posted some pics of my pen on this thread.

My problem with the Pelikans is that they too lightweighted and i like heavy pens...

I used to feel the same way, and that is why I avoided Pekikans for so long. However, I am really starting to like the way they feel and write, and the M640 and M215 are not exactly light pens for their size. The big M800 has some nice heft to it, too. But, I still know what you mean.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

It would be intresting to see the responses if this was posted on the MB forum !

I'm a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac.

"I stay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog."

" My nightmare is, When I die, my wife sells my pen collection for what I told her I paid for them"

I've got some of both and I'm usually carrying one or the other brand. I like my MB 149 for its classic lines and wonderfully smooth nib. On the other hand, I like to be able to screw in a variety of nibs in my M1000. My 50s vintage 400 with OBB nib is a joy to write with. I don't think it's one or the other or if they can even be compared against each other. That's why there's so many great brands and models of fountain pen out there. There's something for every taste.

I've used and enjoyed Monblancs and Pelikans for years. I have to say, however, that Montblancs tend to develop all sorts of problems. Otherwise, I would hazard a guess that the MBs may actually write slightly better than the Pelikans - that is, when they are working properly.

But since I'm a sucker for reliability and cost-effectiveness, my vote goes to Pelikans. I won't stop buying them until I have all the variants in the M200, M400 and M600 series. As for MBs, I don't think I'll go more that the 146 and 149 that I already have.

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

Pelikan M200 Demo / translucent red / medium nibstroke

Lamy 2000 / black / oblique medium nibstroke

Pilot Vanishing Point / yellow / medium nibstroke

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are the the requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost"

-Gustav Flaubert-

It would be intresting to see the responses if this was posted on the MB forum !

Heh. I think I'll do that.

That didn't last long! I guess too may people prefer Pelikans :)

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Since I am such a Pelikan addict, i deciced recently to give the other German pen (Mont Blanc) a chance. I bought a Starwalker and here is what I concluded.

While not a "bad" pen at all, i felt that judging the material quality and built that I had paid $150 too much just because of the Mont Blanc name. That's what I like about Pelikans, i feel for the most part their quality and price go hand in hand, and they make great pens at decent prices.

Take an M200, while most sites ask for $80, with a little research one can find one at $60 or $65. M400's can be had with a little research for as low as $140 and thats with a gold nib!!!

Mont Blanc doesn't allow discounts on their MSRP price, their entry level fountain pens (again not bad pens but not impressive either) go for over $250 USD. For that price I can buy a brand new Pelikan M800 ( pengallery, mellspens, oscar braun pens, etc)

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.