The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

J.Herbin Encre Rouge (Rose Scent)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:09

Here is the fourth ink of the J.Herbin "Les Subtiles" Series. I apologize for the messy review as I was a bit rushed (It's painfully clear that margins and straight lines are not my strong points tongue.gif ).

Disclaimer: Any feathering in this review is caused by the sharp tines of the dip nib digging into the paper.

Encre_Rouge_01.jpg
Encre_Rouge_02.jpg

Edited by Immoteus, 21 March 2008 - 09:20.

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Sponsored Content

#2 girlieg33k

girlieg33k

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:53

Thanks for the review! The last thing I need is another bottle of ink -- but I like the looks of this one. It could work as an editing ink, though I mainly use brown and orange to edit. The subtlety of the rose scent, as an editing ink, will be a bonus. A strong rosy scent, coupled with the colour, would likely send the wrong message... smile.gif

P.S. Have you tried it in a regular fountain pen to see if its lubricating properties improve?

Edited by girlieg33k, 21 March 2008 - 09:44.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

#3 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:06

Lovely!. Both the color and the review!. I heard a few months back that Herbin had started producing scented inks also. Is nice, I have always missed the scent of the old inks my aunts used to write their notes with. I wonder how would tha ink behave in a regular Fp in the long run, though. Great, now I want to have it.

#4 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:02

Girlieg33k & Ondina, thank you for the kind words! When I have the time, I'll test the ink in my other flex/italic pens.

#5 cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:37

Very nice work! ;-)

#6 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 23:16

Here is a scan of the ink used in different pens. For some reason the flow was inconsistent in the Sheaffer school pen, but it does exhibit the best shading out of the group. Fortunately, lubrication properties did improve with fountain pens (but not much, since this ink is better suited for wet writers).

scan0002.jpg

Edited by Immoteus, 21 March 2008 - 23:24.

#7 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 18:24

I had intended to write some Christmas correspondence with 1670, but my offspring has absconded with it, so I took out a bottle of Les Subtiles Roses to write my letters. I have it in a Graphomatic with a nice flexible nib. I have found it to be so bleedy and feathering that it is useless as letter writing ink. I was writing on a very heavy linen paper and it still bled right through. So having wasted a sheet of white, I decided to try it in stone parchment paper and the result is the same. It smells lovely, it is a beautiful colour, but I really do not think it is good ink for my uses. I do not have this problem with the Bleu Nuit, however the cologne like smell of that is cloying and not at all subtle.

Sponsored Content

|