Ballpoint Parker-style refill advice sought.

FredRydr

So, when the pen arrives, I will be happy to toss whatever is in it in favor of what will write better. Which Parker-style refill will make a self-respecting fountain pen user smile (with acceptance, if not glee)?

Schneider Gelion 39 (is cheap and waterresistant or waterproof too)

http://www.schneiderpen.de/marke/englisch/...5d12/index.html

In my opinion, Parker gel refills are not very good. The quality of the ink is not the best and not waterresistant.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rminj

• Pjake

• rollerboy

• FredRydr

Can anybody compare a Lamy rollerball to a Uniball or Pilot liquid ink rollerball such as the Uniball Vision Elite or Pilot V5/7. How would it line up in terms of line width? For example, in Pilot terms is it the equivalent of a V5 or V7? How does it compare in terms of viscosity and feedback?

On a day-to-day basis, I use a either a Uniball Vision Elite or a Lamy Al-Star rollerball with M63 black refill (pending the arrival of my first FP, a blue Safari.) The Uniball feels a bit smoother, is definitely wetter and its line is a tad thicker, but it's not as black as the Lamy, and it feathers more than the Lamy on Moleskine paper.

Edited by blackhelicopter

On a day-to-day basis, I use a either a Uniball Vision Elite or a Lamy Al-Star rollerball with M63 black refill (pending the arrival of my first FP, a blue Safari.) The Uniball feels a bit smoother, is definitely wetter and its line is a tad thicker, but it's not as black as the Lamy, and it feathers more than the Lamy on Moleskine paper.

Thanks for the comparison.

If you do consider non Parker style refills, I would recommend Paper Mate Lubriglide (metal type). It's ultra smooth. Simply the best ballpoint that I have ever used. Currently available pen barrels may not be attractive, but vintage ones from the 70s and 80s which have the double heart clip can still be found on eBay.

If you do consider non Parker style refills, I would recommend Paper Mate Lubriglide (metal type). It's ultra smooth. Simply the best ballpoint that I have ever used. Currently available pen barrels may not be attractive, but vintage ones from the 70s and 80s which have the double heart clip can still be found on eBay.

:cloud9:

I believe the current Parker ballpoint refills are using a "lubriglide"/papermate ink or something close to it. I did not care for the

Parker ink from the 70/80s.. I believe when Gillette/Newell Rubbermaid purchased Parker they made the Parker ink closer to

Papermate's and changed the point/tip as well. Don't know if Parker is changing the tip back lately.

That said, nstlgia70, I wrote with the Papermate Profile and their Powerpoint refills all through college.. Later I used the current

Papermate lubriglide refills. This was in there regular/wide (not slim) Papermate Profile pen. I recently found mine at home and

putting a lubriglide refill in it and was taken back in time to college; This particular pen, and ink refill/point is, in my mind, the best

and faster ballpoint writer on the planet. It was if Gillette/Papermate put all there research into the ink. The Profile pens are

actually quite durable and long lasting for their price at time (see below). I have not, in 28 years, been able to find any ballpoint

that writes as fast and well as this Papermate. Close yes, but nothing like it exactly in terms of shape and ballpoint ink put on

the paper.

Alas, Gillette sold this off to Newell/Rubbermaid which discontinued it as Parker had the Jotter and it was so similar. Actually they

seemed to cheapen Papermate to all plastic pens. The clip on the Papermate Profile is actually more thick and durable then the

Parker Jotter. Then tip on the Profiles though sometimes rotated and was sometimes not crimped or matched close to the plastic body. The button on top wore off the chrome from use. Looking on ebay I see the Profiles from 8 to 40 dollars.. It's as if one can consider them vintage now. To me, almost the golden age of ballpoints..well maybe not but I think I understand now the popularity

of the parker 51's and that era.

Currently I've been using the Parker ballpoint refills (as the ink is so similar Papermate) in various Parker pens.. The Jotter is the

closest by far to those old Profiles in ballpoint writing speed and shape. I would buy up all the old Profiles on ebay if I knew Sanford would continue the refill style. Again, I see the wisdom of fountain pens which would not have this problem.

I like the Fisher pressurized refills, relatively smooth writing, and the most durable ballpoint ink I have yet seen, it's not Bulletproof, but it's pretty decent, the stock Parker refill has absolutely no durability, 91% alcohol completely dissolves this ink in seconds, it's the Washable Waterman Blue of ballpoint ink.....

I like the Fisher pressurized refills, relatively smooth writing, and the most durable ballpoint ink I have yet seen, it's not Bulletproof, but it's pretty decent, the stock Parker refill has absolutely no durability, 91% alcohol completely dissolves this ink in seconds, it's the Washable Waterman Blue of ballpoint ink.....

That is is interesting...taking a 70% alcohol swap and rubbing a scribble I just made with my blue Parker BP Jotter it definitely

does wash the ink away/through the paper. I'm not that surprised as I've read some ink test before and knew it did poorly. What's interesting/surprising is the ink is ,I believe, advertised as archival ink.

If one wants permanent ink they would do well to read reviews here or consider getting one verified to be permanent. I'm only concerned that the ink write well and not smudge with water. Interesting.