The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Review: Very Small Conklin Crescent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asamsky

asamsky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:24

I got this pen at the Long Island pen show. As you'll gather from the review I don't know much about it other than that it probably dates from the 1920s - if anyone has any more information about it I would be very interested to hear it!

First Impressions (5/5)
This is a tiny old crescent filler in black chased hard rubber. It looks extremely old (which it is). Capped itís about 4Ē long. It has a rounded cap, which dates it to the 1920s, and a wave pattern chased into the rubber. It has a 14k #2 Warranted nib (more on that later). I saw this pen at the Long Island pen show and asked to try it - a short conversation and a big drop in price later I snapped it up, and Iím glad I did.

Appearance (4/5)
This is a very old pen, and it looks very old. You can see that the hard rubber is not nearly as black as it was when it was new, and in direct sunlight it has a noticeable green color. But the imprint on the barrel is strong and unblemished, and the wave pattern chased into the rubber is superb and intact. Itís supposed to look like a 70+ year old crescent filler, and it sure does!

Design/Size/Weight (3/5)
I feel a little silly writing about the design of a pen this old, but it really doesnít have any flaws other than its small size. The section is nicely contoured and feels very natural, the crescent really doesnít get in the way, and the rubber has a very lively, pleasant feel in the hand. You really have to post this pen for balance (which makes me a little nervous about the BCHR cap), but when posted itís a totally reasonable size, about the same as a Pelikan m200.

Nib (5/5)
This pen has a Warranted nib, which is most likely a replacement for the original Conklin nib. The penís loss is my gain - this is a FABULOUS nib. Itís very flexy (I donít know if itís wet noodle level since I have no other experience with flex), writes a fine, consistent line, and has a hard-to-describe combination of smoothness and response to the paper that I love. It feels more ďaliveĒ than the very hard nibs I have on most of my other pens.

Filling System (5/5)
I really bought this pen for the iconic crescent fill. A few pumps and youíre ready to go - classic, simple, and it hold a surprising amount of ink.

Cost and Value (?)
I paid $100 even for the pen. With the Warranted nib it may be worth less to a collector, but for a piece of history thatís amazingly fun to write with Iíd say itís worth it.

Conclusion (5/5)
I (obviously) just love this pen, and Iíve been writing with it every chance I get. Itís by far the oldest vintage pen I have, and it has the most personality of any of my pens. Maybe old Conklins are the pens for me...

Sponsored Content

#2 AllWriteNow

AllWriteNow

www.allwritenow.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:29

Great Review. Thanks !
Posted Image

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 16:39

Excellent review. Those Warranted nibs will really surprise people, won't they? smile.gif I've got one in a Thompson flat-top that I've been working on fixing up and it's a neat nib, too.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

|