Esterbrook EF nibs vs. Asian F nibs

gregoron

I'm curious about how Esterbrook EF nibs compare to famed Asian* nibs like Pilot 78G's F or the Hero 237-1 Accountant XXF. I have an Esterbrook with a 9556 fine nib and I really like the line. However, I'm looking for something narrower as in a 0.4 mm line width that one can find in my favorite gel pen the Sakura Gelato 0.4.

For those of you who have the Firm 9555 EF or the Flex 9128** Ef, how do these nibs perform in terms of line width, smoothness, and flow compared to your other brands' EF's.

*Edit: Hero pens aren't Japanese, so I wish to include all Asian pens.

**I meant 9128 not 9048.

Edited by gregoron

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• falika

• jimhughes

• jzents

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a great lover of Japanese pens (I used them exclusively for a while), and like my lines to be as fine as possible, therefore I can report my delight when I found that the Esterbrook 9550 nib offers a completely satisfying line. I'm also looking forward to trying the 9128. I 'won' one on ebay this weekend. When it's received I'll post my notes on that, though other XF-XXXXF'ers on this board have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Edited by falika

I have a couple 15XX nibs (more common versions of the 95XX nibs) and I can't write with them worth a crud. I can however use a Hero F nib pretty good and a Waterman Phileas F nib.

The 15XX nibs I have flow just fine but the lines are skinny as compared to the Hero F nib. Hope this helps a little and I have attached pics of said Hero nib, a Esterbrook 1550 (which will draw blood if your not careful) and a 9128 EF (which I can use somewhat).

I guess in short, I can use the Asian F nib easier than the Esterbrook F/EF nibs but all of them flow very well.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Thanks for the photos and the comments. I guess what I really want is something like the 9556 that I have but finer. Mine writes nicely. It's smooth yet providing some tactile feel, nice fine line variation, and has smooth flow. I'm not so interested in the non-9XXX Estie nibs as they're not Iridium tipped.

I also have a Waterman, but it's the Kultur with an F nib. It's still a little too thick for my taste. Even my Pelikan M150 with EF nib is thicker than my Estie 9556 fine nib. This is even more so with my Lamy 2000 EF. It's hard to get a standard on Western F/EF nibs and I'm just really glad that Esties may be comparable to Asian nibs which really give finer lines given the 20+ strokes in the characters they have to write with.

I have a couple 15XX nibs (more common versions of the 95XX nibs) and I can't write with them worth a crud. I can however use a Hero F nib pretty good and a Waterman Phileas F nib.

The 15XX nibs I have flow just fine but the lines are skinny as compared to the Hero F nib. Hope this helps a little and I have attached pics of said Hero nib, a Esterbrook 1550 (which will draw blood if your not careful) and a 9128 EF (which I can use somewhat).

I guess in short, I can use the Asian F nib easier than the Esterbrook F/EF nibs but all of them flow very well.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

PS. I'd appreciate any scanned writing samples of Estie F's and EF's ;)

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

Here's a scan. As said earlier, I don't yet have the 9128 to compare with. Personally, as a Japanese pen enthusiast, and someone who prefers as fine a line as possible, I've been very impressed with the 9550 nib.

Edit to add larger scan, and to say that paper is Rhodia lined.

post-11151-1205807005_thumb.jpg

post-11151-1205806635_thumb.jpg

Edited by falika

Wow! Thanks Falika and Event Horizon for taking the time to post scans and photos. With this comparison, I'm thinking that I may have to go with either a Pilot or Sailor to get the EF I'm looking for, which is a Japanese fine point. I still like the 9550 though and will get one just to use with one of my Esties.

Here's a scan. As said earlier, I don't yet have the 9128 to compare with. Personally, as a Japanese pen enthusiast, and someone who prefers as fine a line as possible, I've been very impressed with the 9550 nib.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

I was using a 9550 regularly at the time that I got a Cross Solo XF (which is really a Pilot XF), and I found the lines to be virtually indistinguishable.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 4 years later...

Wow! Thanks Falika and Event Horizon for taking the time to post scans and photos. With this comparison, I'm thinking that I may have to go with either a Pilot or Sailor to get the EF I'm looking for, which is a Japanese fine point. I still like the 9550 though and will get one just to use with one of my Esties.

<!--quoteo(post=549011:date=Mar 17 2008, 04:17 PM:name=falika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(falika @ Mar 17 2008, 04:17 PM) 549011[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's a scan. As said earlier, I don't yet have the 9128 to compare with. Personally, as a Japanese pen enthusiast, and someone who prefers as fine a line as possible, I've been very impressed with the 9550 nib.

post-11151-1205807005_thumb.jpg<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly which Sailor is that with the really fine line? Fantastic.

Newbie question. Is Esterbrook a pen manufacturer or do they just make nibs, and if so on whose pens would one find them?

I like extremely thin line widths. Almost uniformly my nibs are XXF. andersonpens. can help with both Estie nibs and pens or contact the guy I buy this drug from Pen Fisher( on FPN) , Richard Cunningham out of NYC. I use an Estie 9555 Gregg Shorthand a lot. It's as smooth and thin as my XXF Edisons. Slightly thicker, but not enough to complain about, than my Pelikan 205 with a Binderized Steel XXF Waverly design. My Nakaya Piccolo's in XF and SUF are a bit thinner. All are smooth, minimal feedback and 7/10 wet. The Nakaya's run 0.16 mm for XF and 0.10 mm for SUF

line width. Look at richardspens. Binders site for his line width specs and samples. The unspecified XXF and Estie 9550 is about the same as Uniball Signo in 0.28 mm Gel from jetpens. THe cheapest way to go is an Estie with a 9555 from Brian Anderson and wife. I use mine a lot. YMMV, Jim

I like extremely thin line widths. Almost uniformly my nibs are XXF. andersonpens. can help with both Estie nibs and pens or contact the guy I buy this drug from Pen Fisher( on FPN) , Richard Cunningham out of NYC. I use an Estie 9555 Gregg Shorthand a lot. It's as smooth and thin as my XXF Edisons. Slightly thicker, but not enough to complain about, than my Pelikan 205 with a Binderized Steel XXF Waverly design. My Nakaya Piccolo's in XF and SUF are a bit thinner. All are smooth, minimal feedback and 7/10 wet. The Nakaya's run 0.16 mm for XF and 0.10 mm for SUF

line width. Look at richardspens. Binders site for his line width specs and samples. The unspecified XXF and Estie 9550 is about the same as Uniball Signo in 0.28 mm Gel from jetpens. THe cheapest way to go is an Estie with a 9555 from Brian Anderson and wife. I use mine a lot. YMMV, Jim