Looking for Pen Shops

Macuser

I live in Metro Detroit and am wondering if anyone knows of any good pen shops in my area?

Also, I plan on visiting Chicago in January. Are there any shops that anyone can recommend there?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry T

• John Cullen

• Macuser

• TimButterfield

Hi Macuser. I also live in the Detroit area(Eastpointe). Paradise pen in Somerset mall in Troy is the only dedicated, multi line pen store in the area that I know of. Also in Somerset mall is a Mont Blanc factory store. Most of the Marshall Fields stores in the area also have a nice pen department. But the best part about living in the metro Detroit area is Pam Braun. She has a store front on the west side and she is one of the best dealer in terms of customer service that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Her prices are the best around too. PM me if you need directions to any of these stores.

Larry

I was in Chicago recently, and I highly recommend Gilbertson Clybourn (55 E. Chicago Avenue, between Rush and Wabash). It's small and very friendly, and they have a good selection of pens and inks. I also enjoyed Levenger in Marshall Field's department store. There's one on Michigan Avenue, and one on State Street. The latter is slightly bigger, if I remember correctly.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

I came across this a while back and managed to find it again. Sanford Group (Parker, Waterman, Sensa and Rotring) opened a store within a store in the State Street Marshall Field's store. Here is the press release.

You lucky dog. If I lived so close to Oscar Brauns, I would be broke. How about a little journalistic report on your trip to Oscar Brauns? Remember that many of us enjoy reading about new purchases and the opening of pen boxes and such. Send us a little story from arriving at curbside to leaving the store. :) jc

John, It would take me days to recount all of my trips to Pam's shop. I always feel like a kid in a candy store. Even though I know what I want when I get there, it still takes me at least a half hour before I want to leave. I feel very lucky to live in the area, but my wife probably wishes we were farther away.

My last trip netted me a new orange ebonite Waterman Liaison with a fine nib. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have bought several Parkers, a Sailor 1911 burgundy, a Pelikan M215, Pilot Knight and green VP, the list goes on. If you are ever in the area plan a stop at her shop. Bring Money!

Larry

Thank you! I will check out Pam's shop sometime after the holiday (maybe I'll even post some photos for you all to drool over!)

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

LarryT, thanks for the details. How do you like the Liaison? I like the look of the pen but prefer the L'etalon nib.

Macuser, yes, take a photo and give us all the details!

John, I really like the Liaison. It has become one of my favorites in a big hurry. I bought mine with a fine nib, but it is a generous fine, kind of a medium fine. It is exceptionally smooth with just the right flow for me. The ebonite has a warm feel to it. I have always liked conical nibs, I have a number of Sheaffer pens with Triumphe nibs, and the Liaison recalls that style of nib. I would rate the Liason as my best buy to date in a fine FP, and now Pam is selling them for $119.00, that's thirty bucks LESS than I paid for mine! I am buying a L'etalon from Pam. You just can't beat her prices.

Larry

Hi LarryT

If you think of it, when you get the L'etalon would you post a comparison of the nib with the Liaison nib?

I find the two have a very different feel to them and would be curious as to what you think. jc

John, I should get the L'etalon next week. I'll try them side by side and let you know what I think.

Larry

John, I got my L'etalon yesterday. It is a nice writer, very smooth with a nice flow. It seems to have a springy feel to it, where my Liaison is very stiff. I like the feel of the Liaison better in my hand because of the ebonite, but the L'etalon does have a more expressive nib. I'm just glad I have both of them so I don't have to choose between them. I tend to write fast, so I'm probably better off with the stiffer nib of the Liaison for everyday use. The L'etalon will get more use when I'm at my desk.

Larry

There is an office supply store in Chicago just a couple blocks from the big Marshall Fields store. They have an excellent selection of fps and a knowledgable guy there. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the place. When I was there last Fall they had a bunch of reps from different companies there answering questions and selling their pens.

I actually liked this place a lot better than the Gilbertson place, less pretencious.

Matt

Doesn't Somerset in Troy, Mich. have a "Colorado Pen" store? I seem to remember one the last time I was there in 1999. However, when it comes to buying modern pens, I always look no further than Oscar Brauns, which I highly recommend hands down! Pam's service is second to none.

Like everyone else here, if I lived near her place of business, I would be dead broke all the time. :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Doesn't Somerset in Troy, Mich. have a "Colorado Pen" store?  I seem to remember one the last time I was there in 1999. 

Somerset has a Paradise Pen store, but their prices are too high, and a couple of salespeople there made me feel inferior for asking questions before. There are a couple of good salespeople that work there, so I do visit when they are working.

Thanks LArryT, now I know I am not totally crazy, as I always have thought there was a big difference between these two nibs. Yeah, I too like the Look and feel of the LIaison. I wish I could pop the L'Etalon nib on the Liaison.

Glad you are enjoying the pens. :) JC

Macuser, if you go back to Paradise pen, ask for Kathy. I have always gotten good service in the store, but Kathy is the best. My wife and daughter really like her too, so I can drop hints with her about what might be a good gift for a certain penlover. I've gotten a Sheaffer Prelude and a Waterman Carene that way. The prices are high, but I try to support them because there aren't many brick and mortar pen stores left.

John, I've used both of them this morning. I think I'm starting to prefer the L'etalon nib too. Decisions, decisions. :D