The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conway Stewart Wellington, Binder 0.7 c.i.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:18

Thanks for looking (and reading...if you could smile.gif )
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Sponsored Content

#2 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:33

Thank you for such a nice review. Handwritten reviews should be taken more seriously than typed ones! Ruud

#3 PaulK

PaulK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:57

Nice review and beautiful pen. I have the same coloration in a Dandy model.

Hey, maybe the buldge is an added feature: CS just some added room should your nib gain some weight in upcoming years...smile.

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 girlieg33k

girlieg33k

• Member - Gold

• 1,837 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:25

The Wellington is such a beautiful pen, especially in that colour. Mine proved to be too heavy for me to use. crybaby.gif

By the way, the Herbin ink for your writing sample looks wonderful. I have a bottle of the same ink and it does not appear that dark. Perhaps it's all in the magic of a nib from Richard Binder. smile.gif

Edited by girlieg33k, 16 March 2008 - 22:27.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

#5 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:35

Another great review Roger, thanks.

If my handwriting was as good as yours I'd use e-mail a lot less...
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#6 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• 1,515 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:03

That ink looks wonderful-i usually find the Hebrins a little "washedout" but that looks stunning!
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

#7 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 17 March 2008 - 00:14

Roger,

Nicely done. Very informative. Beautiful pen and handwriting.

Thanks,

John
John

#8 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:01

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I asked for a 7/10 'wetness factor' which probably accounts for the apparent darkness of the lines....... it certainly doesn't look much like myosotis (forget-me-not) colour, does it! (Do you have that flower in the USA?)

I must try it sometime in my Pelikan which has a similar nib, but in steel, and seems to write a little drier (that currently has Herbin Cyclamen in it, a very pretty colour).

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#9 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,167 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:27

I'll bet that pen would look nice with some Diamine Saddle Brown in it!

A pen just like yours arrived in my mail today. The only difference is that mine has the Conway Stewart factory italic fine (IF) nib rather than the Binderized version that you have. I haven't inked it yet. When I do, I'll ink it with Waterman Havana Brown.

In looking at the pen, it is somewhat similar in color to my amber Stipula Etruria, but the Wellington has more of a translucent "glow" than does the Etruria, probably due to clear particles in the resin. The other feature that makes it especially nice is the absence of black plastic end pieces. Conway Stewart was smart to make the Wellington's end pieces from the same resin as the cap and barrel. Finally, I'm so thankful that the trims are gold rather than the ever-present rhodium that seems to grace 80 percent of all pens produced in the last 2-3 years.

It is indeed a heavier pen than the Churchill, the Duro, and the 100, but I like heavier pens. (Hey! I collect metal pens like Sheaffers and Duponts.) I agree with you that the bulge in the cap is a bit disconcerting at first, but after staring at it for an hour, I think I like it. If you look closely, the cap has a coke bottle shape. What you call the bulge is the shoulders/chest. Then there is an indented waist, widening slightly to form hips where the two cap bands form a belt.

Edited by CharlieB, 17 March 2008 - 01:40.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#10 girlieg33k

girlieg33k

• Member - Gold

• 1,837 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:09

QUOTE(CharlieB @ Mar 16 2008, 09:27 PM) View Post
I'll bet that pen would look nice with some Diamine Saddle Brown in it!
A pen just like yours arrived in my mail today. The only difference is that mine has the Conway Stewart factory italic fine (IF) nib rather than the Binderized version that you have.

The Wellington matches well with Diamine Saddle Brown and Sienna Brown. It also matches well with Sailor Red-Brown and of course Waterman Havana Brown.

P.S. I also understand that any Conway Stewart pen ordered from Richard Binder, even though it has a CS factory italic fine nib, is still considered "Binderized" -- though it did not get a customized regrind. smile.gif

Edit: Added P.S.

Edited by girlieg33k, 17 March 2008 - 09:11.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

#11 CharlieB

CharlieB

French Roast Coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,167 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:29

Update on my earlier post: I've inked the pen with Havana Brown, and it writes WONDERFULLY. The factory IF nib, probably smoothed by Richard Binder, writes like a dream. This is one nice pen! I'm already wondering if I should add the Classic Green version of this pen to my Want List... perhaps with a different nib for variety.
CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

#12 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:54

I don't have any Browns..... nearest is Tulipe Noire!.... special inks aren't easy to get in Spain, although Herbins are quite reasonable, 3 (small)botts for Euros 17.70, about $27 ?, delivered worldwide, by penandco.com !
I like Herbin colours...not as 'pastel' as they seem, in my 'wet' pens, and very 'well-behaved', I believe. (Must look for their brownest Brown!)

Edited by rogerb, 17 March 2008 - 10:58.

#13 slimnib

slimnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 17:01

You have a really great handwriting, clear and interesting.
Great reviews.

Thanks

Harv,

#14 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 17:39

Interesting and informative review. Thanks.

#15 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,623 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 13:19

Good job on the review! As long as I can read them, I love handwritten reviews. Your's was perfect.

I like CS pens, both vintage and new, almost as much as Italian pens. I just got a classic brown Duro button fill back from Richard a couple of weeks ago that now has a 0.7 cursive italic. This pen was a tough nut to crack and a trip back to the factory didn't help any. Richard got it going.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Sponsored Content

|