Fountain Pens in Singapore

zilonable

Sorry, I would like to ask about the nib system. For example Hero 336 is there XF nib or there's only 1 standardised nib?

For the Hero, there is only one standard nib. Only the 336 is sold at Mustafa's. It also has a non-removable filling system so you cannot use cartridges. I find the Vector to be a pretty good pen for the price (Its $10 cheaper in Mustafa too :thumbup: ), but the fine I have isn't as fine as I like it to be. If you want, the Pilot $7 pens have a fine nib is quite fine(Its said that Asian nibs are a size smaller than their European/American counterparts). I would recommend the eyedropper pen as my converter one is prone to quite severe nib creep(not really a problem, but if it bothers you...). If you want to use cartridges, you can remove the plastic insert that helps to keep the seal. If you want to buy, I suggest going to the pen counter at the stationery department on one of the upper floors(third or fourth). They are more helpful and patient, and instead of a curt "No trying fountain pens", I managed to convince the salesman to let me dip-test. :)

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graceaj

• tt32003

• holgalee

• siaoguitar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I brought 5 Hero 336, 2 of which is for my friends (so that i will not be the only I using it), 1 another for my GF and 2 for my own usage. I brought a Parker Quink ink (Black to go with the pens).

My first Fountain Pen experience: After i carefully filled my Hero 336 with ink, I tried writing it on Postcards (Those free ones ), I instantly fell in love with it. Great experience. However I tried writing it out on full scape paper, I was deeply disappointed as bleeding or feathering (which ever you called it) occurs.

So fountain pens are not suitable for some writing surface? <------ need help with the answer

On the whole, I did enjoyed the fountain experience but i am just wondering how long i will need to finish the 57ml bottle of ink?

My first love is still Parker Jotter, Ballpoint Pen. ^^

I brought 5 Hero 336, 2 of which is for my friends (so that i will not be the only I using it), 1 another for my GF and 2 for my own usage. I brought a Parker Quink ink (Black to go with the pens).

My first Fountain Pen experience: After i carefully filled my Hero 336 with ink, I tried writing it on Postcards (Those free ones ), I instantly fell in love with it. Great experience. However I tried writing it out on full scape paper, I was deeply disappointed as bleeding or feathering (which ever you called it) occurs.

So fountain pens are not suitable for some writing surface? <------ need help with the answer

On the whole, I did enjoyed the fountain experience but i am just wondering how long i will need to finish the 57ml bottle of ink?

My first love is still Parker Jotter, Ballpoint Pen. ^^

What sort of paper did you use? Foolscape works fine for me, although more saturated inks tend to bleed through(No, bleed-through is not feathering :rolleyes: ). I've tried Parker black on newsprint as well, and there isn't much feathering there either. It will take about a year to finish that bottle of ink, although it will depend on how much you use it. Just because you haven't finished it doesn't mean you can't buy another bottle though. :P You may want to try Noodler's ink. They're pretty feather-resistant, but the high price may be a turn-off, and because they're more saturated tend to bleed-through 70gsm foolscape.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

graceaj,

Thanks for the Information, I always thought parker quink ink is one of the more popular ink ppl use. I actually wanted to get pelikan 4001 but i can't find so i settled with parker ink. I will love to try some other colours next time too.

Pelikan ink is available off-the-shelf in Mustafa's if you go there again. Just wondering, was the 'feathering' you noticed similar to this?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/gracearul/2.jpg

Here's a writing sample of a couple of Quink inks as well. I don't have the black in a bottle, so I used a cartridge so I'm not sure if its different from yours because of that. As you can see, its pretty crisp; kinda like a regular pen. :)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/gracearul/1.jpg

The paper is nothing fancy, just a packet I picked up from Daiso.

graceaj,

Thanks for the Information, I always thought parker quink ink is one of the more popular ink ppl use. I actually wanted to get pelikan 4001 but i can't find so i settled with parker ink. I will love to try some other colours next time too.

Hi Zilonable,

Welcome to the forum! Wow, another FP lover in Singapore, AND in NTU!!!! I'm currently studying in NTU too (Bio Science).

You can get Pelikan 4001 easily and cheaply at Popular in Jurong Point.

I've tried Pelikan, Noodlers, Omas, MontBlanc, Diamine inks on NTU foolscap and they feather quite abit. I suggest PageONE printer paper (also available from Popular) or UGrade Avalon paper from NIE bookshop.

Your best bet for getting the pen would probably be Mustafa, or online (pensinasia or pengallery?).

Best,

Paul

Pelikan ink is available off-the-shelf in Mustafa's if you go there again. Just wondering, was the 'feathering' you noticed similar to this?

Here's a writing sample of a couple of Quink inks as well. I don't have the black in a bottle, so I used a cartridge so I'm not sure if its different from yours because of that. As you can see, its pretty crisp; kinda like a regular pen. smile.gif

The paper is nothing fancy, just a packet I picked up from Daiso.

Hi graceaj,

Yes my feathering was similar to pilot v pen purple, just that mine was a lot worst. So is the paper that matters or does the nib matters? The Nib controls the flow of the ink right? hence, if the nib allows more than enough feathering occurs?

You also did mention that i can get a pilot fountain pen @ $7 bucks @ mustafa. What model is it? Is it Pilot 78g?

http://www.hisnibs.com/Pilot78Gred_small.jpg

One more question, Is there a nib that writes finer than Hero 336?

Thanks for your time and effort!

Cheers

Edited by zilonable

Hi Zilonable,

Welcome to the forum! Wow, another FP lover in Singapore, AND in NTU!!!! I'm currently studying in NTU too (Bio Science).

You can get Pelikan 4001 easily and cheaply at Popular in Jurong Point.

I've tried Pelikan, Noodlers, Omas, MontBlanc, Diamine inks on NTU foolscap and they feather quite abit. I suggest PageONE printer paper (also available from Popular) or UGrade Avalon paper from NIE bookshop.

Your best bet for getting the pen would probably be Mustafa, or online (pensinasia or pengallery?).

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am currently 2nd year in CBC, i see that you had tried a lot of inks. Does the ink really matters that much?

Steven.

Hi Paul,

I am currently 2nd year in CBC, i see that you had tried a lot of inks. Does the ink really matters that much?

Steven.

Well, the pen does play a part too, more specifically the nib width and flow. But ink on paper is the objective, so I guess they influence the result greatly. Actually, most of the inks except Noodler's Honourable Blue and Mont Blanc Seasons Greetings brown don't feather on decent paper, from my experience. I was just searching for a colour that appeals to me personally. If you want any ink samples, just PM me and I'll gladly give you some.

PS: Try UGrade's Avalon paper. 100GSM, laid finish, cotton/wood pulp mix, and all the inks i've tried doesn't feather on it. It's available at NIE bookshop for S$1.50 per 50 sheets (look next to the entrance).

Hi graceaj,

Yes my feathering was similar to pilot v pen purple, just that mine was a lot worst. So is the paper that matters or does the nib matters? The Nib controls the flow of the ink right? hence, if the nib allows more than enough feathering occurs?

You also did mention that i can get a pilot fountain pen @ $7 bucks @ mustafa. What model is it? Is it Pilot 78g?

Cheers

Actually I think its more an ink+paper combination than the nib. A well-behaved ink should work fins even in a wet writer. There are nibs out there that are finer than the Hero nib. My Pilot decimo fine nib is an example. I think the fine-nibbed Pilot $7 pen is similar to a Hero, maybe slightly finer. The $7 pen comes in 2 models, and they should have been right next to the Heros. I haven't been able to find out what model exactly they are though. One has a nib and body similar to the 78G but with a gold cap, and is eyedropper instead of converter fill. The other looks like a 2A(you can see them on ebay), and comes with a ribber-squeeze converter.

Cheers

I think it would be hard to find a finer writing nib than the one on the new style Hero 329

The look like this one from the iSellPens website --

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/Hero/HERO%20329%20BLACK%20A1.JPG

Note the square end to the cap and the unsprung clip.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Well, the pen does play a part too, more specifically the nib width and flow. But ink on paper is the objective, so I guess they influence the result greatly. Actually, most of the inks except Noodler's Honourable Blue and Mont Blanc Seasons Greetings brown don't feather on decent paper, from my experience. I was just searching for a colour that appeals to me personally. If you want any ink samples, just PM me and I'll gladly give you some.

PS: Try UGrade's Avalon paper. 100GSM, laid finish, cotton/wood pulp mix, and all the inks i've tried doesn't feather on it. It's available at NIE bookshop for S$1.50 per 50 sheets (look next to the entrance).

hi Paul,

Thanks for the generous offer, Yup~ i will try the foolscap paper you recommend (although, I am more of a Blank paper person).

I'm not much of a FP fanatic as i have not much cash to build a collection. I will start with pens i can afford, write with it and love in love with it first before i go into collection. haha

Steven

Actually I think its more an ink+paper combination than the nib. A well-behaved ink should work fins even in a wet writer. There are nibs out there that are finer than the Hero nib. My Pilot decimo fine nib is an example. I think the fine-nibbed Pilot $7 pen is similar to a Hero, maybe slightly finer. The $7 pen comes in 2 models, and they should have been right next to the Heros. I haven't been able to find out what model exactly they are though. One has a nib and body similar to the 78G but with a gold cap, and is eyedropper instead of converter fill. The other looks like a 2A(you can see them on ebay), and comes with a ribber-squeeze converter.

Hi once again,

You did mention that eyedropper pen is a better choice because converter will have nib creep. What exactly is nib creep? Btw, you look like you have a huge collection of pens and YES PILOT DECIMO pens are nice. I think is one of the nicer series that pilot has.

Steven

Hello!

I'm Singaporean too, only now currently I'm rather spoilt FP-wise since I'm in NYC.

I'm using a Waterman Phileas and Pelikan M200 for school purposes myself.

Enjoy :)

Hi once again,

You did mention that eyedropper pen is a better choice because converter will have nib creep. What exactly is nib creep? Btw, you look like you have a huge collection of pens and YES PILOT DECIMO pens are nice. I think is one of the nicer series that pilot has.

Steven

I don't really have many pens. :roflmho: The cheaper ones were mainly purchased by my parents for school use, and I just have a couple of other pens like the Pilots I don't know anything about as well as a handful of heros. :rolleyes:

Nib creep is basically ink creeping out from the pen onto the nib. Mostly it just stays there and doesn't make blobs or whatever, and is associated with certain kinds of ink(e.g. Noodler's). Since it doesn't cause any problems, its more of an aesthetic thing. In this case however, the ink transfers into the cap and then onto the barrel that is covered by the cap, making the lower barrel an inky mess every time I uncap it. I've used all kinds of ink, and have also switched between the converter and cartridges, but the problem remains. I don't know if I just got a bad pen however, or if all of them are like that. But the eyedropper is quite the delight. It was amazingly smooth; just be careful not to fill too much or it'll overflow. Once you've got it screwed together tightly, you won't have to worry about it leaking or anything.

You did mention that eyedropper pen is a better choice because converter will have nib creep.

Nib creep depends on your nib and on what ink you have in the pen. It's got nothing to do with the filling system.

Think there're a couple of threads about nib creep on FPN, for instance:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...mp;hl=nib+creep

Good to see more S'poreans around FPN btw :)

Edited by Readymade
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Nope. Not a 78G (though the nibs look similar?).

Might be able to get a photo up tonight.

I don't like eyedroppers 'cos I change inks a lot and they're tough to clean without a centrifuge. Some on the forums have recommended things like pumps but so far I haven't seen one that I could use. Then again, I haven't really been looking :rolleyes:

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

hi Paul,

Thanks for the generous offer, Yup~ i will try the foolscap paper you recommend (although, I am more of a Blank paper person).

I'm not much of a FP fanatic as i have not much cash to build a collection. I will start with pens i can afford, write with it and love in love with it first before i go into collection. haha

Steven

You are very welcome. The Avalon paper is actually unlined.

I don't own many FP myself (I only own 3 so far). Well, you have to start somewhere. I only experienced nib creep in my Lamy Studio, which has a steel nib. Gold nibs seem to be immune to this phenomenon IMO. Of course some inks creep more than others (as previously mentioned). There are some suggested methods of preventing creep in other posts. One involves rubbing the nib with wax, I think, but you have to be careful with that.

There is a picture here. By the way, I didn't mean that the pen has nib creep because of its filling mechanism. They are actually 2 different models altogether with one exhibiting severe nib creep, but since no one knows what they are except as 'those $7 Pilot pens', I find it easier to refer to them by the filling mechanism. Sorry for any confusion. :embarrassed_smile:

Hi,

I am currently a student in NTU. I wanted to try fountain pen starting from pilot vpen. Anyone know where to get it? I can't find it in popular.

Steven

Have you tried the pen shop (Fook Hin, i think) at Bras Basah Complex? it's located on the ground floor, facing the Raffles Hotel.