Fountain Pens in Singapore

zilonable

Hi,

I am currently a student in NTU. I wanted to try fountain pen starting from pilot vpen. Anyone know where to get it? I can't find it in popular.

Steven

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graceaj

• tt32003

• holgalee

• siaoguitar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the FPN!

I don't know about Singapore, but here in Australia they are available from most good newsagents, office supply stores and campus bookshops. Perhaps one of our Singaporean FPNers can comment?

If you can't find them there, you may have to resort to the Internet.

However, look around, because you may be able to find a Hero 329 (old style) pen for a similar price (about $5 AU). I think these are much nicer than the V-Pen, and much easier to re-fill.

I find the V-Pen ink flows too freely and feathers and bleeds through on most papers, especially the kind that impecunious students can afford to buy...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

•KINOKUNIYA BOOK STORES OF SINGAPORE PTE. LTD.

Singapore Main Store 391 Orchard Road, #03-09/10/15, Ngee Ann City, Takashimaya Shopping Centre, Singapore 238872 6737-5021

Liang Court Store 177C River Valley Road, #03-50, Liang Court, Singapore 179036 6337-1300

Bugis Store 200 Victoria Street #03-09/12 Bugis Junction, Singapore 188021 6339-1790

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

•KINOKUNIYA BOOK STORES OF SINGAPORE PTE. LTD.

Singapore Main Store 391 Orchard Road, #03-09/10/15, Ngee Ann City, Takashimaya Shopping Centre, Singapore 238872 6737-5021

Liang Court Store 177C River Valley Road, #03-50, Liang Court, Singapore 179036 6337-1300

Bugis Store 200 Victoria Street #03-09/12 Bugis Junction, Singapore 188021 6339-1790

Actually, the Kinokuniya in Bugis Junction doesn't carry stationery. but i think your best bet is in Takashimaya S.C . Kino

Aaaah, Orchard Road is a wonderful place. I think my family might be going back to Singapore this December to visit relatives (I love the Singapore branch of my family. We're all great friends). I shall have to buy myself a fountain pen while I'm there!! :lol:

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Welcome to FPN! Sorry, but I'm not quite sure where the Pilot Vpen is sold here. Perhaps you could try Mustafas Centre?

Thanks alot~ i will try out these places mentioned. I didn't know there's so many singaporean who are interested in fountain pens. Most ppl i know uses Signo Dx and Pilot G tec C4.

You could try the main Popular branch in Bras Basah. There are also other shops selling pens there if you want to browse. I've tried the Pilot V-pens and Petit1, and I've found that the blue/purple feathers quite a bit. Maybe you would want to buy a Hero from Musafa's, which costs about half that of a V-pen(S$1.20), and some Pelikan ink, which is pretty cheap(S$3) and behaves ok on regular paper as well. :thumbup:

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

woah~ Great to see so many singaporeans here. I am glad i am not the only ones. At first i thought there isn't a singaporean as most singaporean uses Ball Point or ink pens.

I personally owns a parker Ballpoint pen. I must say i really loved it. I hope my fountain pen experience will just be as nice. I looked ard in the forum about converters and eyedropper lots of terms that i do not know. Is it that difficult to maintain a fountain pen? Is refilling very troublesome?

You could try the main Popular branch in Bras Basah.

:thumbup:

I practically lived at Bras Basah when I was studying Graphic Design in Singapore. There are several stores selling art supplies and stationary and you'll probably find a variety of cheaper fountain pens there, including the V-Pen.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

woah~ Great to see so many singaporeans here. I am glad i am not the only ones. At first i thought there isn't a singaporean as most singaporean uses Ball Point or ink pens.

I personally owns a parker Ballpoint pen. I must say i really loved it. I hope my fountain pen experience will just be as nice. I looked ard in the forum about converters and eyedropper lots of terms that i do not know. Is it that difficult to maintain a fountain pen? Is refilling very troublesome?

I can't comment on eyedropper pens, but converter fountain pens take about 20 seconds to refill.

1) Dip the nib in the ink till you cover the junction with the section.

2) Fill the pen

3) Wipe the ink off the section and nib with a tissue.

4) Write

Granny Aching

It actually can be as simple as replacing a cartridge in a converter pen, and other filling systems are not much more complicated. The Hero pen I mentioned can't take cartridges though. If you want to try a cheap eyedropper pen, Mustafa sells a Pilot one at S$7. There is a similar looking one at an identical price that comes with a converter instead that can take cartridges(this has a gold band at the bottom of the barrel the eyedropper doesn't have). Noodler's also bundles converted eyedropper platinum preppys with the 4.5oz bottles of ink, but I'm not too sure if those are sold in Singapore.

Edited by graceaj

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

A fountain pen will give you a much, much, much, much, much better writing experience than a ballpoint pen. Seriously, try it once and you'll get hooked (well, at least I did)! Don't worry about the funky terms. I didn't know any more than you when I first joined. Take about an hour to do some research. You'll be amazed at what you will find. And, what's an "ink pen"?

Edited by darrenimo

Well, there are a number of excellent fountain pen stores in Singapore.

- My favorite one is Aesthetic Bay, which is on the second floor of the Funan Digilife Mall. I bought pens from them whenever I visit Singapore.

- Elephant and Coral Pen Distributors, which is in the Wheelock Place on Orchard Road. Very nice collection of pens.

- Fook Hing Trading Company, which is on the ground floor of Bras Basah Shopping Complex. It is a slightly smaller store, but they know their pens...

==Tamer

Thanks Guys for the replies. I am heading down to mustafa this very week to get my first fountain pen. I have Hero 336 in mind and maybe a parker vector.

Are these 2 pens great? Wish me luck

A fountain pen will give you a much, much, much, much, much better writing experience than a ballpoint pen. Seriously, try it once and you'll get hooked (well, at least I did)! Don't worry about the funky terms. I didn't know any more than you when I first joined. Take about an hour to do some research. You'll be amazed at what you will find. And, what's an "ink pen"?

Ink Pen, oh! I meant Gel Pen ^^

Sorry, I would like to ask about the nib system. For example Hero 336 is there XF nib or there's only 1 standardised nib?

Sorry, I would like to ask about the nib system. For example Hero 336 is there XF nib or there's only 1 standardised nib?

The Hero hooded pens (329, 330, 336, 616, 100, etc) each come with a fixed nib size. However, the new style 329 nib is much finer than the old style 329. The 100 is appears to be a tiny bit broader than the others.

Granny Aching