Screw cap FPs with threads near the nib?

Kelly

Hi all!

One of the things I like most about my Taccia Imperial Portuguese is that the threads are located near the end of the body, i.e. close to the nib. The more investigating I do, the more I see that this is rather uncommon, even within other Taccia models. Is this correct or are there other, significant screw cap models that also have their threads closer to the nib? I realize that this would be easily rectified if I simply chose a snap cap, but I really prefer the screw tops. Thanks for any information :)

Please forgive my total butchering of the technical terminology :doh:

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kelly

• saintsimon

• southpaw

• davyr

Top Posters In This Topic

Stipula has several models with the threads near the nib. I like that feature too at my Stipula 'Brunelleschi Terra di Sienna' where my fingers rest on a completely smooth, curved celluloid surface. Haptically seen, it is one of my most pleasant pens to hold :) :drool:

Other Stipulas with such threads are the 'Suprema', 'Duetto', 'Alinari' (not sure, if that is a thread), 'Verrazzano', 'Medici' and the new 'Samba'.

Edited by saintsimon

hi saintsimon,

i'd be real interested in seeing some pics of your stip brunelleschi terra di sienna :)

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Stipula has several models with the threads near the nib. I like that feature too at my Stipula 'Brunelleschi Terra di Sienna' where my fingers rest on a completely smooth, curved celluloid surface. Haptically seen, it is one of my most pleasant pens to hold  :)  :drool:

Other Stipulas with such threads are the 'Suprema', 'Duetto', 'Alinari' (not sure, if that is a thread), 'Verrazzano', 'Medici' and the new 'Samba'.

I love the look of the Stipulas in particular the Duetto, and for some reason I thought they were snap caps w/o threads :doh: I think I may have to work up to those babies - they are stunning pens but a tad out of my FP range at the moment . And, yes, I'm salivating at the thought of the Brunelleschi :drool:

Thanks so much for the model tips :D

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

hi saintsimon,

i'd be real interested in seeing some pics of your stip brunelleschi terra di sienna :)

Hi davyr,

I'd love to make some pics, BUT you would see a pen with a badly bent nib. Some time ago it fell down the floor - of course onto it's nib. The body is OK but the nib needs replacement/repair. That has to wait untill i can divert funds to that. :(

Stipula nibs are easy to screw off, but a replacement costs officially 145 Euros. Before it went bust, I only had Herbin 'Pousserie de Lune' in it, and the 18K 0.9 Italic was a bad starter and skipper but a smooth writer.

Maybe another ink, a little Nibmeistering or another nib would have corrected it. But it is a real pleasure to hold that full size celluloid thing, even without a nib :lol:

This pen is a piston filler in terracotta and light green celluloid with sterling silver clip and rings. In the clip is a litlle green gemstone. It is a little bit longer and thicker than my Omas Paragon Cinema.

For a first impression, forgive me if I have to point you to Stipulas website:

http://www.penemporium.com/stipula/works_d...prodotto=506162

I got mine from stbpens (Canada) on ebay last year. Some are still available.

Edited by saintsimon

sorry to hear about the mishap saintsimon. it's a beauty. thanks for the link. :)

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

Thanks so much for the model tips  :D

You're welcome, Kelly. The official MSRP at Stipulas webshop (http://www.penemporium.com/index.php) is 535 Euros (times 1.2 for $), but i got it for $300.

Thanks for those links, SaintSimon - that pen is an absolute beauty as was your price to boot :D

It was painful to read about the nib mishap. I hope you can get that remedied sooner rather than later.

I've just decided that I must have one of those Duetto's or I'm not responsible for my actions ;) I think I'll be getting one very early 2006 - but what color?? That green is just shimmering but that red is so vibrant as! And then there's the Suprema...oy! :)9

I found another Stipula with threads at the nib: the 'Pineider Hamlet' LE.

(don't know about any other images)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fountain-Pen-STIPULA-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks SaintSimon - that's a really beautiful pen! I've never heard of that model - it got me thinking, too. My husband will be making a trip back home to Germany and I'm wondering if they have more (or different) models there. I'm really set on getting a Duetto. The only reason I'm waiting is I've got a birthday in February and I've asked for $ for its purchase. I'm just deciding on color and nib size.

Since you are an owner of a Stipula, how do their nib sizes run? Pretty close to standard? I'm trying to find out what stroke their fine and medium produce and gauge it to my Taccia medium nib which is about a 0.6mm stroke. I hate to be this nit-picky but really want to avoid a return if possible.

Thanks again for your suggestions. The whole Stipula line is sublime - love those LA-91s, too!! :D

I found another Stipula with threads at the nib: the 'Pineider Hamlet' LE.

(don't know about any other images)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fountain-Pen-STIPULA-Pi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks SaintSimon - that's a really beautiful pen! I've never heard of that model - it got me thinking, too. My husband will be making a trip back home to Germany and I'm wondering if they have more (or different) models there. I'm really set on getting a Duetto. The only reason I'm waiting is I've got a birthday in February and I've asked for $ for its purchase. I'm just deciding on color and nib size.

Since you are an owner of a Stipula, how do their nib sizes run? Pretty close to standard? I'm trying to find out what stroke their fine and medium produce and gauge it to my Taccia medium nib which is about a 0.6mm stroke. I hate to be this nit-picky but really want to avoid a return if possible.

Thanks again for your suggestions. The whole Stipula line is sublime - love those LA-91s, too!! :D

Hello Kelly,

I've got a Stipula Duetto with a medium nib - you can read my review of it here. . It's a true medium, but I like your predilection for precision, so I checked the line with my calipers and it's 0.65 mm - with Swishers/Noodlers Apricot Orange on decent paper.

I agree with you about the Duetto's - they're gorgeous! Woud like to snag a cognanc and a blue one some day.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Since you are an owner of a Stipula, how do their nib sizes run? Pretty close to standard?  I'm trying to find out what stroke their fine and medium produce and gauge it to my Taccia medium nib which is about a 0.6mm stroke. I hate to be this nit-picky but really want to avoid a return if possible.

You're again most welcome, Kelly.

As I own only one Stipula with a 0.9 Italic (out of service), and never tried any other, I can't tell how their regular nibs are.

Actually, Wim :huh: of the admins should jump in here, because he has a lot of Stipulas.

Stipula has only three kinds of nibs: 18K, 14K and Titanium. There is only one type each, so e.g all 18K nibs are the same, regardless of the pen. The nibs are manufactured by Bock for them. They can be screwed out for replacement.

In Germany, Stipulas are hard to find. So the best thing to look for something special by Stipula is on the internet at ebay or different big pensellers, which often have also their own Limited Editions.

Stipula has a lot of LEs, you will find them by surprise :blink: :D :lol:

Edited by saintsimon

I've got a Stipula Duetto with a medium nib - you can read my review of it here. .  It's a true medium, but I like your predilection for precision, so I checked the line with my calipers and it's 0.65 mm - with Swishers/Noodlers Apricot Orange on decent paper. 

I agree with you about the Duetto's - they're gorgeous!  Woud like to snag a cognanc and a blue one some day.

Thank you, Southpaw! I did read your review previously and am happy that you re-posted the link as it was a great re-fresher now that I'm pretty keen on getting this pen. Of course, your Amethyst LE is really gorgeous - too bad I missed out on those but I will keep my eyes open. Thanks also for whipping out the calipers and getting that nib measurement for me. That gives me some reference point to go from - so very appreciated.

My nib dilemma is that I'm going to be getting 2 pens in February: a Pelikan M215 and, hopefully, the Stipula Duetto (both my first piston fillers so I'm just a wee bit excited!!). I'm just wondering if I should just stick with the medium across the board or have at least one fine nib (most likely with the Pelikan). These are tough decisions for the newbie FPer and I guess I just learn by jumping in with both feet! :blink: :D

I love that Stipula blue, too, and I'm hoping to fine some clear reproductions of the Seaweed green and the photos I've seen on-line vary greatly but the green/silver combo really sends me :)9

Thank you again!!

As I own only one Stipula with a 0.9 Italic (out of service), and never tried any other, I can't tell how their regular nibs are.

Actually, Wim :huh: of the admins should jump in here, because he has a lot of Stipulas.

Stipula has only three kinds of nibs: 18K, 14K and Titanium. There is only one type each, so e.g all 18K nibs are the same, regardless of the pen. The nibs are manufactured by Bock for them. They can be screwed out for replacement.

In Germany, Stipulas are hard to find. So the best thing to look for something special by Stipula is on the internet at ebay or different big pensellers, which often have also their own Limited Editions.

Stipula has a lot of LEs, you will find them by surprise  :blink: :D  :lol:

Hi Saintsimon! Thanks for the great nib info on the Stipulas. Southpaw was very kind and measured his standard medium from his Duetto and gave me a reference point. Perhaps Wim could shed more light on this matter and any other help would be greatly appreciated :D

So Germany's out :doh: Okay, Ebay and other pen stores it is. I'm not able to buy until February so I have some time to scout around unless something too good comes by before then. Thanks again for your Stipula knowledge B)

My nib dilemma is that I'm going to be getting 2 pens in February: a Pelikan M215 and, hopefully, the Stipula Duetto (both my first piston fillers so I'm just a wee bit excited!!). I'm just wondering if I should just stick with the medium across the board or have at least one fine nib (most likely with the Pelikan). These are tough decisions for the newbie FPer and I guess I just learn by jumping in with both feet! :blink: :D

More than happy to help. Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding the M215 and the Duetto, the M215 is a piston filler, the Duetto is a c/c filler that has a piston converter in it. Oh how I wish the Duetto were a piston filler!!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Regarding the M215 and the Duetto, the M215 is a piston filler, the Duetto is a c/c filler that has a piston converter in it.  Oh how I wish the Duetto were a piston filler!!!!

:doh: and once again :doh:

I'm basically like a puppy dog that just gets excited when she sees a FP!! I see the word piston anywhere near the description and then assume it's a piston filler! Well, at least I got the Pelikan right LOL! Actually it's been really fun and intersting these last weeks/months just learning the different ins and outs of what's what in FPs - I haven't even attempted anything with vacuum or sac or ink dropper yet! Thanks you for the clarification there, Southpaw. I still love that pen! :)

The Ancora Perla has its threads down by the nib, as do several LEs based on the Perla chassis.

The coolest pens that satisfy the criterion, IMHO, are Sheaffer Crests made from 1937 into the first quarter of 1942. One of these years I'll acquire a men's model of this magnificent design; in the meantime, I can be very happy with this brown striated Lady Crest:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/LadyCrest.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

The Ancora Perla has its threads down by the nib, as do several LEs based on the Perla chassis.

The coolest pens that satisfy the criterion, IMHO, are Sheaffer Crests made from 1937 into the first quarter of 1942. One of these years I'll acquire a men's model of this magnificent design; in the meantime, I can be very happy with this brown striated Lady Crest:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/LadyCrest.jpg

Thank you, Richard :) I'm not familiar with the Ancora line and just checked them out - pretty pens, no doubt. I'll check around this site for some reviews. I think you have the right idea with the Scheaffer Crest though - that's a beauty!! But I'm afraid, more than likely, out of my league...something to aspire to :)